French MAC Model 1935 M

logeorge

Well, it seems that the ammo they had at Larry's in Huntsville turned out to be 7.65 Browning(AKA .32 auto), not 7.65 French Longue. Graf lists the brass, but it is out of stock. The bolt stop is about 80% finished and it looks like it is going to work with a little more tinkering. With no good pictures or drawings of the part, I'm having to figure it out as I go. The only pre-heat treated steel I have on hand is 4130 so I made it out of that. My only worry is how well it will hold up in use. The only part of it that has any real stress, besides the pin that the link attaches to, is the tab that locks the bolt open. I have no way to test the hardness of the steel. It sawed and filed alright, but took more pressure to cut than annealed steel. I guess if we can't find any ammo, it will last quite a while. The owner talked as though he might be willing to buy a die set, so maybe he will eventually get to shoot it.

tangolima

I got my starline brass quite recently from midsouth shooters. I use .32 s&w long die set supplemented by .32 acp FCD. The bullet I have is cast bullet from bear Creek for .32 acp. It works out well with pretty good accuracy. The round is just elongated version of .32 acp.

The steel parts I would heat, quench, and draw back to blue, if they are made out of alloy steel. I favorite is mild steel case hardened.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Bill DeShivs

Try making sure a .32 acp round will seat on the semi-rim. If it does, see if .32 acp will feed from the magazine. If it does, shoot it.

logeorge

7,65 MAS

Some say firing .32 ACP in it will cause the extractor to break. They didn't say whether the breakage is caused by the extractor having to support the case against the firing pin blow(the .32 case is 0.100" shorter than the French 7,65mm) or by having to jump over the larger rim of the .32. Either way, I'm not looking to have to make an extractor. They are unobtainable, too. The whole thing could be erroneous, though. Dunno. The owner can make that choice. Graf lists the brass as "out of stock". Maybe they will have some by the time I get done fooling with this thing.

Last edited:

logeorge

1935S

I don't claim to be an expert on semi-automatic pistols, or anything else for that matter. I thought that maybe the shorter round would possibly get in front of the extractor instead of behind the hook as it should. If they stayed against the back of the magazine it shouldn't happen. I will try working the slide by hand and see if they feed that way. The only other pistol extractor I can recall working on was a Llama Omni .45 which wouldn't feed regularly with G. I. hardball. Turned out the extractor hook was too long and forced the case too far to the left, causing it to hang up on the slide. Shortening the hook a little and stoning a small radius on the bottom cured the problem. Later on, I sold it because I couldn't operate the safety without using my other hand. No way I could hold it and reach the safety with my right thumb. I figured a handgun that took two hands to operate was not a good situation. It may not have been a problem for a person with larger hands. Other than the safety problem, it seemed to be a pretty good pistol, once I cured the feeding issue.

Bill DeShivs

Putting a spacer in the back of the magazine is pretty easy. Then all you need is a .32 acp follower and spring. Most will feed .32 acp from the stock magazine.