French Gendarmerie & Mini-14s

giaquir

I saw that last night,wonder why
they don't use Ar's. I would
think the Ar's would be more flexible
to add ons.

wogpotter

Its just a cosmetics thing. French police is different from the American model.
Gendarmes are what we'd think of as "police". Then there are the paramilitary special forces such as anti-terrorist & hostage associations.
The "police" want to differentiate between the two to the public who see the FAMAS as "a soldiers weapon" & the Mini-14 is a "sporting rifle" for civilians.

Last edited:

amd6547

I did see at least one mini 14 with the M1 carbine sling and oiler setup...nice.
Ruger should sell them like that.

They were not manufactured in France under license. They were manufactured in the Newport Plant in NH. There is no "Ruger" or "Made in the USA" markings on those guns. The only suggestion that it is a Ruger (besides the obvious appearance) is the red recoil pad that has the Ruger Red Eagle. I saw the one factory sample that stayed here in America.

BTW, I agree with amd6547 that Ruger stocks should be set up like a M-1 Carbine with an oiler slot. That would be neat!

Corrections Cop:
Back in '08 I bought a blued Mini 14 with the factory Ruger 20-rd. mag. It was a very solid, reliable rifle.

The store was in Brighton, west TN and the stock had a scraped round silver sticker which said "State Of Kentucky", maybe from your facility. The serial number indicated it was manufactured in the early 90s and the bluing showed very little wear.

I never checked the accuracy, but after that dry Ruger magazine was oiled, it never again had Any misfeeds after the first day, with approx 2,000 rds. of Wolf/Silver Bear used.
It was sold only to have the cash for a first Lee-Enfield Jungle Carbine (#5): the milsurp "bug".
That very rugged Mini 14 is missed, but I would have preferred a thinner front post sight, similar to the newer type.

Last edited:
At least those French police were not issued bolt-action Lee-Enfields.

After the Mumbai terrorist massacres, Indian police or soldiers were photographed holding Enfields in front of the hotel.

wogpotter

I wouldn't mind an Enfield for that kind of work. The brass buttplate & 9 1/2 Lbs of wood & metal gives a nice "less than lethal force" option as well! Unlike the Indian police in Mumbai I'd want a few bullets with it though.:D