French Gendarmerie & Mini-14s

Kosh75287

Been watching the news about France. Has anyone noticed that a great many street shots show French security personnel carrying Mini-14s? The discussion over which rifle they should adopt HAD to have been a very interesting one!

2damnold4this

I'm a little surprised that they don't issue something domestic but I imagine that the French Gendarmerie could do a lot worse than issuing Mini 14s.

rickyrick

I see mini14's or variants pop up in many places... They are good and reliable...

On a side note- I one time spotted a mini14 on a history channel show depicting d-day... I'm sure not many would notice that it didn't belong

KyJim

Mini-14/Garand/M1-Carbine look-alike guns are undoubtedly more politically correct than an "evil black rifle" for police use.

Corrections Cop

They are the standard issue rifle for us at work. Synthetic stock, some with shorter barrels, 20 round Ruger Govt mags and peep sights.

rickyrick

I've posted this before... Wasn't cheapie ammo though

Ranch rifle

attachment.php

James K

Member In Memoriam
The Mini-14 (and AC556) avoid the "assault rifle" look, while providing the same power and capacity. Further, they use the military issue ammunition, so the police (where they are not part of the army, as the Gendarmerie Nationale is) can obtain ammunition free or at low cost. An excellent choice.

Jim

Kosh75287

I don't disagree.

I don't DISAGREE with the choice made, I am just surprised by it. The non "Ässault Rifle" appearance seems plausible, if somewhat belied by other forces in the same uniform suiting up with Beretta M12 SMGs.

I've owned and shot a Mini-14 since 1976. My favorite taunt among the "black rifle" crowd is "MY .223 will do anything YOUR .223 will do, except JAM", which of course, is not strictly true. The ARs can be made to shoot a great deal tighter.

For confrontations happening at usual "ÄK distances", I wouldn't feel under-equipped with a Mini-14, or M556.

Kosh75287

I don't disagree.

I don't DISAGREE with the choice made, I am just surprised by it. The non "Ässault Rifle" appearance seems plausible, if somewhat belied by other forces in the same uniform suiting up with Beretta M12 SMGs.

I've owned and shot a Mini-14 since 1976. My favorite taunt among the "black rifle" crowd is "MY .223 will do anything YOUR .223 will do, except JAM", which of course, is not strictly true. The ARs can be made to shoot a great deal tighter. I believe that the barrel harmonics associated with the first ones were "less than optimal", let's say. This can be fixed, at least in part.

I've never had the money to do it, but I've always wondered how the rifle would fare in combat with the harmonics optimized for the 6x45mm cartridge. I suspect that an 80 grain FMJBT at 2800 f/s would offer certain advantages to the rifleman who must shoot for keeps. I DO KNOW about the "never adopted by any military power", major or otherwise, so practicality would be an issue. I am nonetheless free to speculate.

For confrontations happening at usual "AK distances", I wouldn't feel under-equipped with a Mini-14, or M556. The gas-operated cam-induced rotating-bolt system in the Mini has been used in many iterations before 1976, and its reliability/durability is well established.

I just wish I could have heard the discussion among the French procurement people leading up to its adoption.

Last edited:

Grizz12

I noticed the mini 14, some bullpups, some AR's, something that looked like the old grease guns from WWII and I had to wonder why so many different weapons and different calibers

The Mini-14 (and AC556) avoid the "assault rifle" look, while providing the same power and capacity
The same philosophy was behind the adoption of the Remington 7615 by several domestic law-enforcement agencies .

Bart Noir

Grizz, perhaps you saw some cops (of which there are many types there, in Army and in police services) with the MAT-49 submachine gun. It was a very successful design from about 1950 and may still be used by some agencies.

MAT-49 at Wikipedia

The FAMAS bullpup is the standard issue military assault rifle in France armed forces, although France is in the early phases of replacing them. OBTW, I believe that France has no factory or armory that can make modern military rifles. H&K 416 or CZ Bren will likely make a good showing in this competition, and the Polish AK-based Beryl will be a strong contender. It would be ironic if the Russians try to enter an AK-12.

If the French want another bullpup, the Israeli Tavor may do well in the competition.

FAMAS at Wikipedia

Bart Noir

Kosh75287

Agree.

The only way I know of to make it go over better would be for the Israeli Tavors to be stoked with Israeli ammo. Perhaps the projectile noses could be dipped in pig fat?

New information about the French Mini-14s: It appears they WERE manufactured by Ruger.

With those needs in mind, the French government placed an order with renowned U.S. gunmaker Sturm, Ruger & Company of Southport, CT for its Mini-14 rifle chambered in .223 Rem. These French-contract guns resembled the standard commercial Mini-14 from the late 1970s in nearly every way, but the receiver markings read: Mousqueton A.M.D.- 5.56 A.P.

I found the above in an article accessible at the link below:

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/index.php/35231/the-mousqueton-a-m-d-frances-mini-14/

Last edited: