Frangible Ammo for .44 Mag/Spec?

Para Bellum

Hi Folks,

in some hunting situations (e.g. light game wounded on rocky ground), I'd like to have fangible bullets handy for a finishing shot with my S&W 629 4". Are you aware of any loads like Fiocchi Frangible in .44 Mag or .44 Spec?

Thanks,
PB

Ozzieman

Personally I would use a light 44 special lead round. Minimum expansion and will have good penetration.
Is this for hunting food or just hunting?
The problem with “fangible bullets" (didn’t know any were available for the 44) is if this is meat, getting all those small pieces of lead/copper from the meat. I would rather have something that stays together and easy to remove from the animal.
If you reload you can use something like these in the photos. The lead is from Penn bullets and is VERY hard.

Last edited:

Webleymkv

Magsafe and Glaser both make .44 Magnum and .44 Special frangible loadings. Between the two, I'd probably use Glaser as Magsafe has a spotty reputation for quality control.

Para Bellum

nonono, Folks,

I mean something like roe deer (15Kg, 33#) or a small wild boar (35Kg, 77#), and a finishing shot. I think of the fiocchi frangibe, which will behave as an FMJ in meat and would only desintegrate on real hard targest such as the rocks unterneath the animal...

rodwhaincamo

I think a mild load with a hollow point is a better option as well.
If you or someone you know of handloads I'd look into creating one.

Webleymkv

While I'm not familiar with the Fiocchi loading you're referring to, it seems to me as though you're asking an awful lot out of bullet technology. I'm assuming that you want something which will penetrate adequately in a deer but not riccochet when it hits rock. Unfortunately, a bullet tough enough to go through a deer and hold together will probably still be tough enough to hold together when it hits rock, particularly at its now reduced velocity (after going through the deer). I think what might be a better solution to your problem would be a soft, swaged lead HP like Federal Champion .44 Spl 200grn LSWCHP. While such a bullet probably won't fragment when it hits rock, it will probably deform enough to prevent dangerous riccochets.

Ozzieman

Having hunted wild boar in the past with the 44 magnum and I can guarantee one thing, you don’t want expansion, you want penetration. Go with a heavy lead in the 44 special and it will work for a finishing shot.

jhenry

Sounds like a .22 or .22 Magnum pistol is what you need. Put one between the eye and the ear. How often do you shoot them little things and have them flopping about on the ground just wounded anyway?

publius

I am not real clear on the aversion to standard ammo. Afraid of a ricochet on rocky ground? If you are in a situation where you fear a richchet, I wouldn't rely on bullet type to alleviate this. For what you are asking for though, I would think about a light special load with a SWC betwixt the eyes.

T. O'Heir

"...light game wounded..." With a rifle? Shoot it again with the rifle. Sounds like you need to improve your shooting skills, use a different bullet or cartridge. There should be no need for a handgun for a finishing shot.
Any frangible bullet will send bits of bullet, everywhere, if it hits a rock. Frangible bullets aren't made for hunting.

ClydeFrog

ShopCorBon.com, .44spl frangible(pre-fragmented loads)....

Glaser Safety Slugs: www.ShopCorbon.com could work well.
As posted other factory made pre-fragmented rounds like ExtremeshockUSA or Magsafe are on the US market but the quality is sketchy. :(

A hunting type .44magnum or .44spl round from Buffalo Bore, Federal, Winchester or CorBon could meet your needs too.

See www.NatchezSS.com or www.Midway-USA.com .

Para Bellum

"...light game wounded..." With a rifle? Shoot it again with the rifle. Sounds like you need to improve your shooting skills, use a different bullet or cartridge. There should be no need for a handgun for a finishing shot.
Any frangible bullet will send bits of bullet, everywhere, if it hits a rock. Frangible bullets aren't made for hunting.

jhenry

The misunderstanding likely occured because of two things. First of all you could have been more specific in the original post. Secondly, we shoot our own game here. A true sporrtsman would never ask another to finish off a poorly shot animal. It is the resposibiity of the hunter, not some gunbearer, guide, or even friend. If you need smeone else to do that, then you have no buisness with a gun in the field.

Ozzieman

Just won a the regional hunting rifle competition.

Gee! That’s great,,, then why are you asking a bunch of handgun nuts for help if you’re such an expert.

NightSleeper

Gee! That’s great,,, then why are you asking a bunch of handgun nuts for help if you’re such an expert.

Hey, c'mon, he didn't mean it that way.

As to the OP, I personally wouldn't use fangible rounds for game. I typically go with soft-nosed rounds, which offer good penetration and a little expansion. And if you're seriously just sporting a handgun to 'finish off' a wounded animal, a .22 long or .22 WMR through the neck would do it. But since you're asking specifically about .44 magnum or special rounds, I'd just go with a standard FMJ or soft-nosed round for this purpose.

Para Bellum

a bunch of handgun nuts

then why are you asking a bunch of handgun nuts for help if you’re such an expert.
Because there are some more truly esteemed expert's here.

Who do you call a hand gun nut - are you talkin to me?
;) :)

The misunderstanding likely occured because of two things. First of all you could have been more specific in the original post. Secondly, we shoot our own game here. A true sporrtsman would never ask another to finish off a poorly shot animal. It is the resposibiity of the hunter, not some gunbearer, guide, or even friend. If you need smeone else to do that, then you have no buisness with a gun in the field.
We also do. But at the end of the year the huntig schedules have to be met (shooting obligation!) and so driven hunts are being organized. In driven hunts most shooters MUST stay on their position and only the drivers and dog leading trackers are allowed to move before the hunt is called off. So sometimes you end up finishing an animal another hunter had shot first.

Same could happen if you track together and the group splits. We wouldn't wait for the initial shooter to come and do the coup de grace if he were far away and another hunter actually found the animal first. A fast kill is top priority...

Have a nice evening,
PB

Last edited:

GeauxTide

It's my understanding that frangible bullets were designed for people in urban settings to avoid penetration. They come apart after short penetration. A soft lead bullet @800fps would be a much better finisher and you wouldn't be digging birdshot out of the animal. I've used 7.5-8.0 gr of Unique under 250s for years. Low noise, penetration, and effective.

jhenry

PB, that makes more sense.. Thank you. I do think a .44 Manum is a bit much for finishing shots. A .22 of some type is a better choice and will not pose the same risks, nor will it tear up the animal as much. I am sure that is of some consideration.