Found a micro chip in gun?

TPAW

After taking apart his .45 Cal. HK, my son found a small micro chip epoxyed into his gun beside the hammer spring. Can anyone tell me what it's there for?

Kreyzhorse

"Transponder (Optional)- Internal (molded-in) electronic data storage device. Permits permanent and changeable data (serial number, rack number, user name, round count, etc.) storage on pistol by operator, armorer."

The above info is supposed to be from the owners manual. His gun look something like this? Additionally, is this a used gun? Perhaps a used LEO gun?

There is a bunch of stuff over on the HK forums about these chips being used in LEO guns. Occasionally a non LEO will stumble across a gun with the chip in it.

I'd guess it's a pretty harmless thing, but if it were my gun, I'd take the damn thing out. Too big brother for my tastes.

Attachments

• 2196256484_ff0c23b758.jpg
    2196256484_ff0c23b758.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 615
Last edited:

KyJim

Ask the guy in the black chopper hovering above your house
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you. As noted above, RFID transponders are to be found in some HKs.

I can see the anti-gun crowd trying to get laws passed to require RFID transponders in all firearms.

Rampant_Colt

RFID chips are easily disabled

10ye00k.gif

Kreyzhorse

The gun is NEB. And yes, it looks just like the image you sent. He will probably drill it out.

I had never heard of this until I saw your post. I can understand having a chip in a LEO gun but not in mine.

Let us know how he takes care of that chip and if the black helicopters swarm your home afterwards. ;)

n7qvu

Next COPs will be issued scanners to walk around your car checking for firearms.
And of course, the new law that says you get a huge fine if the RFID is removed..
WOW!

TPAW

Let us know how he takes care of that chip and if the black helicopters swarm your home afterwards.

I'll keep you posted. WAIT!!!! I can hear the choppers now!!!! :eek:

sailskidrive

easy one...

Take off the metal parts... 5 seconds in the microwave should destroy it. Now I'm going to check all of my HKs.

~Sail