Former US Issued Handguns

markj

Many surplus 1911's were sold mail order for 39.95 and up in the 1960's. They were cheaper through the DCM (now CMP).

I'll take a couple hundred at that price, please.

My brother in law has a sea chest full of these. He has over 200 of them. Said it will take all of them to make one good gun tho.

Neighbor has his Dads WW2 1911 on a plaque in his gun room which is a huge full room safe from a bank.

eastbank

here is one ww-2 auto that didn,t make the scrap pile. i,m not sure how it got liberated,but i,m glad it did, 32 auto colt model 03 u.s. property. eastbank.

Last edited:

m.p.driver

Was in a reserve unit when we switched to the M9.We had 250 1911A1's in the arms room.Union Switch and Signal,Singer,Ithaca,Remington Rand,Colt both commercial and military.We took them down to Ft.Knox and they crushed them.Worn out?At no time did we ever draw out more than the first 50 for qualification, once a year if we were lucky.Most had never left the center in 50 years.
Now the M16A1's that we had were a different story,forty years of abuse and jointed cleaning rods had taken their toll,when we qualified i took my own A2 upper.

Chris_B

My brother in law has a sea chest full of these. He has over 200 of them. Said it will take all of them to make one good gun tho.

When he got them, they were just old guns. Shooters. No collector value

Now, US Property marked 1911s and 1911A1s are a collector item. A "good gun" isn't the point with these now. The pistols have value above and beyond the ability to be a quality firearm. Hitting the bullseye is beside the point. back in the day they were bought as range guns. Today most collectors don't ever shoot them, or only very rarely, their historical value is where the value is

This is no joke. That was then and this is now. If what you say is true, those "bad" old pistols are valuable. Depending on exactly what they are, possibly quite valuable. Like if one is a Singer 1911A1 like I mentioned to Kraig, for instance

If your BIL doesn't want to bother with those crummy old things maybe because they are junk, I'm sure I can make a deal with him.

Chris_B

here is one ww-2 auto that didn,t make the scrap pile. i,m not sure how it got liberated,but i,m glad it did, 32 auto colt model 03 u.s. property. eastbank.

Those were General Officer's sidearms. Many were parked, but some were blued. Most were .380

Excellent example!

armoredman

We had 4 Ruger Service Six .38 special revolvers in the ships armory in 1987-89. No holsters, no speedloaders, no ammo, nada. Gunner Anderson let me bring in some ammo and try to qualify with one, (drove the Chief nuts), but I picked the one that shot sideways. Would be nice to think they got good homes after the old girl was scrapped in 1992, but I have to believe they were also scrapped. :(

markj

If your BIL doesn't want to bother with those crummy old things maybe because they are junk, I'm sure I can make a deal with him.

He wouldnt part with one back then, I doubt if he will today, he paid almost nothing for them.

Now his carry shooter, thats one fine colt, engraved, NM parts almost as nice as my SA :)

Chris_B

That's too bad. I'd rather buy the lot off his hands, sell the bunch of them to simply make my money back, and let those old pistols go to collectors instead of leaving them hidden away in a chest, unappreciated. I'd keep a WWII example for myself of course ;)

...but, they are your BIL's to do with as he pleases :)