Former US Issued Handguns

Oldwoodsloafer

I was wondering what happened to the older US military handguns when they were replaced by the current M9 and M11 pistols.

I know a few M 1911/M 1911A1 are still issued, but what happened to the remaining ones? There were various Colt 2" and 4" revolves, Ruger Security Six revolvers and Smith & Wesson M15s and Victory models.

The CMP doesn't sell handguns now. Does anyone know if they were placed in storage, distributed as foreign military aid or simply destroyed?

Dfariswheel

The Victory revolvers were first given to Civil Defense units or to police departments. In the 1980's a good many were finally sold on the commercial market.

The various Colt and S&W 2" and 4" revolvers were either destroyed or surplussed off to the commercial market. I suspect a great many were simply destroyed. It's possible some were given to foreign countries.
Since other than the Victory and S&W Model 15, which were US Navy issue in large numbers, most other revolvers were purchased in relatively small batches and disposed of the same way.

Jim Watson

One justification the USAF gave for starting the 9mm trials about 1980 was that 40% of the S&W M15 revolvers sent in for overhaul were rejected as irrepairable. So a lot of service pistols were scrapped. Others went home with their users. Seems like at least once a week you read about Grandpa's service pistol with the serial number filed off to keep the FBI at bay.

kraigwy

Not all them are gone, this one is setting on my desk as we speak.

USSC%201911%20Slide%202.JPG

DG45

This post isn't actually about guns, but after reading Jim Watsons post above about the USAF getting new automatics after claiming that 40% of their revolvers couldn't be repaired, I was reminded of a story that one of my dads best friends, then a Marine Sgt., told us in the late 1950's about his combat service in Korea as a young Marine during the Korean War. Maybe someone can see a correlation between those unrepairable guns in Jim Watsons post and the radios mentioned in the following story.

My Dad's friend "Bob" was a PFC in the front lines circa 1950 when the Red Chinese came into the Korean war. His unit killed over 700 of them right in front of his position when they attacked in a "human wave" one night, but the Chinese had more men than the Marines had bullets, and they sent another "human wave" to attack the Marines again the very next night, and so on, and so on. Anyway, things looked grim for the Marines, and a little later it got even grimmer when they were forced to retreat from the Chosin Reservoir... but just about this time, my Dad's friend, "Bob", caught a break.

The Marines in Korea got the worst equipment, much of it leftover stuff that the Army had discarded. They had particular trouble with their radios. This caused chos with communications between units when the Chinese attacked. There seemed to be no one who could repair the radios. They'd break, be sent back for repair and come back to the front in worse shape than when they'd been sent back.

"Bob" was an electrician's apprentice before he enlisted. An officer learned this and ordered him to go to the rear and try to repair radios. He said "yes sir" (or words to that effect) and was immediately sent back to a safe area where he found that he couldn't repair the radios either. But he found a way to get the job done. He used a hammer. He smashed every radio that came in for repair and sent it further to the rear with a note saying "This radio can't be repaired". No one ever asked any questions and he was sent a new replacement radio for each one he returned. Probably the beancounters in Washington would have disapproved of his methods, but everyone in Korea was happy with his solution, especially "Bob" himself who (a) never went back to the front lines and (b) was promoted for solving a vexing problem.

I can't swear that "Bob's" story was true. I know for a fact that he was a Marine who saw combat service in the Korean War. But he was one of those guys who never allowed the truth to get in the way of a good story, so you always sort of wondered at some of his tales. But there was something in way he told this particular story that made me believe it was true and I still think it was.

garyhan

Many surplus 1911's were sold mail order for 39.95 and up in the 1960's. They were cheaper through the DCM (now CMP).

gary

I carried a S&W Model 10 .38 special in the 70's and 80's while in the Air Force. Most of the time it was a 4" version and upon occasion the 2.5". We didn't get the Beretta 92's until the 90's. I have no clue what happened to the old revolvers when they were retired from service.

10-96

I was stationed at Ft Shafter, HI when we transitioned to the M9 from the 1911. Someone found out we could put bids in on the pistols as they would be auctioned through DRMO/Logistics folks in lots of 10. The guy who did the research said they had cost Uncle Sam $70 to build each one (manpower, material, whatever else), and that it would be a logical move to bid $74 per firearm. We were out-bid by a whopping $1 per firearm by a Hollyweird Movie Prop outfit.

You can not only see where old GI property goes, but you may be able to buy it yourself. Google "DRMO Auctions". I don't think there's any way of getting even close to firearms any more, but different installations generally have pretty interesting stuff.

EarlFH

I saw a program on TV, about an Army unit, whose job is to supply weapons to military museums, and other military displays. They were pulling out crates of brand new WWII weapons, still in the original wrappings, and cosmoline. Everything from 1911's, to BAR's, 50 Cal. M-2's, and several other styles of machine guns. It was enough to make you think about becomming a thief, and making off with a few dozen of those brand new, mouth watering 1911's.

EarlFH

longhair75

Friend garyhan,

Many surplus 1911's were sold mail order for 39.95 and up in the 1960's. They were cheaper through the DCM (now CMP).

gary

I remember those. Some friends of mine ended up with military surplus 1911's. Shooting those is what colored my opinion of the 1911 as a platform. Al least one of them was in such poor condition that I was pretty sure I could throw it more accurately than I could shoot it.

Chris_B

:D 92 years old, 'UNITED STATES PROPERTY" M1911. Somebody years ago put a target sight on the front. I was using a six o'clock hold. She shoots to the left but I'm not gonna move the rear sight; good enough for me offhand at 33 feet. The barrel's 1918 too, but lockup with the slide is excellent

barrel.jpg

colttarget-1.jpg

garyhan

Longhair75,

Your opinion of the accuracy of the 1911 was pretty common back in those days. It's hard to remember with the position the 1911 now holds that back then many, including respected gun writers, thought the .45 was the most inaccurate weapon since the Brown Bess.

gary

drail

I believe it was when the Clintons moved into the Big White House that a trend started towards destroying entire arsenal inventories and closing military bases. And we shouldn't forget Bob McNamara who singlehandedly closed the Springfield Armory with a stroke of his pen.:mad:

pesta2

My sister was dating a guy in the Army at Arlington when the transition was happening to the M9. He was working in the depot. My Dad asked him what they were doing with the ‘45s’ now they were going to 9mm. He said the 1911s where being put on a barge and dumped out at sea.

EarlFH

By that time, most of the .45's had been rebuilt, over, and over, so many times, that they were completely worn out. None had been purchased since the end of WWII.
I'd sure like to know how many Singers, and North American Arms 45's are in those crates of brand new guns the Army has stashed away. You could retire on the proceeds from them!!!:eek:

EarlFH

10-96

He said the 1911s where being put on a barge and dumped out at sea.
That's what happened to the original Bushmasters (1903A3's cut to jungle carbines). They got dumped off the coast of Panama in the mid to late 40's.