For the AR guys Which of these is best?

P-990

What's your purpose for the rifle? That will driving which to pick as much as anything else.

Personally, I like the Colts. I have a 6920 and a really want an AR-15A4 at some point. Most stock, single-stage mil-spec triggers are rough. It's what they are. I'm not a trigger snob so I find I can get along with them just fine unless it's for true target shooting.

Regarding the 20" vs 16" guns: with a proper Government profile barrel, the 20" guns aren't actually heavy. Avoid at all costs anything in a heavy barrel or H-BAR that is thicker under the hand guards. And the .223 really thrives on velocity, anything you can do to keep the bullet speed up is a Good Thing.

Now the A2 length buttstock the Marines foisted off on everyone makes the AR a better target rifle, but is a bit too long for most other uses. Given my way, the fixed length buttstocks would be the original A1 length, which is about 3/8" shorter. This is handier and easier for most people to use.

Chrome-lining may or may not affect accuracy, depending on whose barrels you're using. Colt actually has a pretty decent reputation for the accuracy of their chrome-lined barrels. I knew many Highpower shooters who would use chrome-lined barrels to start on rattle battle and loaner guns. (They'd replace them later with match barrels as they wore out.)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

zukiphile

In May 2013, I paid $529.99 for a CHF 20 inch upper with a Midwest Industries 15 inch handguard, no BCG no CH.

True story.

MarkGlazer

I purchased the "SRC" for my wife (birthday present - her request) during the crazy Obama years. Love the gun, flawless performance, never have had any issues with it. Just like anything else, treat it well and it performs.

P-990 does pose the right question. I don't hunt, but could if I wanted. Let's just call it a deterrent.

Best to you.

MagnumWill

For those that are still reading, here is a fantastic article about the differences between QPQ nitride and chrome-lined bores:

https://faxonfirearms.com/blog/frequenty-asked-questions-nitride-vs-chrome-lined/

Long story short, QPQ nitride (when done properly) is becoming superior to chrome-lined bores in almost all instances, save for sustained full-automatic fire. In regards to accuracy, I have both style barrels and both of them can easily shoot sub-MOA when given the right ammo and basic magnification.

For all my follow-up builds I'll probably use Ballistic Advantage Hansen barrels. My CHF CL PSA barrel is fantastic, but equivalent (if not a teensy bit hetter) performance for a lower price is always a better option.

Metal god

Im still new to the understanding of done right . I know many ways a chrome lining can be wrong or not done well . How is a nitride done wrong or right and what is the issue if done wrong ?