? for people down on Remington

crimsondave

OK. I have not had much dealings with the new Remingtons. I have held the new cheapo models and don't need to shoot them to know they are not for me. That said, my boss bought his son a brand new 30-06 BDL (BTW, someone on here posted that Remington had stopped making the CDL and BDL and that is total BS.) I sighted it in for him and I honestly can't tell any difference between his brand new one and my old ones. In fact, the last one I bought years ago had to have the trigger adjusted on it while his new one is set from factory around 3.5 to 4 lbs (of course, mine is about 1.5-2 since I set it.) His wood stock is absolutely gorgeous even for a BDL. Honestly, I'd much rather have this gun than the X bolt my buddy just won (no boss.) The action is way slicker. Oh, and most importantly, it shoots like every Remington bolt action I've ever shot.

Is the bad rap comming from the cheaper models? If that is the case, I guess I understand that. Remington does not send me a check either way. My favorite rifle is actually the pre 64 type model 70, I just never had one that would shoot as tight as a 700. If there is a problem with the new BDL and CDL I'd love to know what it is. I'm not trying to argue either way, I really want to know if there is a legit problem.

Last edited:

jmr40

While Remington is still making many very nice rifles, there have been a higher percentage of bad ones getting out the door in recent years. If 90% of the rifles work perfectly that leaves 10% of the buyers with a lemon. That is a lot of people and it makes other potential buyers look elsewhere hoping not to be one of the 10%. Glad your friend got one of the good ones.

I've been a Remington fan for years. Unfortunately Remington is not making anything right now that interests me. If they were I would still take a chance and try one, hoping to be one of the 90%.

crimsondave

I've been a Remington fan for years. Unfortunately Remington is not making anything right now that interests me. If they were I would still take a chance and try one, hoping to be one of the 90%.

I don't see what is different. Can you expand on this a little. Are people having trouble with the bdls and cdls too, or just the 710/770/SPS models?

CK_32

Its alot of hype.. I bought one and am in love (remington 700 SPS tactical)
and have not had a single problem as of yet. But yea they have some crap ones out there but thats productions it happens.. Honestly half the people
who trash talk them are like how i use to be with howa's and some other companies.. I didnt know and heard one bad thing and kept it going.. Some
of the people who were trash talking and swore by it never even shot a remington before and were telling me they werent the same.. I was like ok
then how do you know if its any worse or better.. And they told me oh its
what people say...

I still think remingtons are decent rifles by far but yes they have had some
f ups but i havnt seen or had any as of yet. Until that day Ill say I love my
rifle. Im not saying they are all BSing but dont believe everything you hear
until you can say it for your self. As humans since day one we just
jump on the band wagon and join the crowd without even know what
were going for.. And some people find the smalliest mistake and blow it
up when its a simple problem or error. Or even somthing they screwed
up on it with out addmitting it and quick to blame the company.

Please dont attack my post im just posting I like them i dont feel like getting
PMs starting a fight.. Dont take it personal..

The reports seem to be of issues that slipped through quality control.

Honestly, the reason I don't like Remington isn't from an experience with a 700. I had a 870 Super Magnum Express shotgun that had to have work done to make it halfway reliable as it wasn't reliable right out of the box. It still jammed even more than it should and just felt cheap and crappy. Should have never made it past quality control.

Another friend who has been a long time Remington fan and even thought the 710's were decent bought a new rifle for his wife this year to hunt with. It was a Remington semi auto .243 in synthetic. I think a 750 but I'm not sure. It was new and looked like a 750 though. It wouldn't cycle. It would kick the old shell out but not close all the way when pushing the new one in. So basically he had to either send it to Remington and not have it back to hunt with or have a gun smith work on it. He got them to look at it and found out it had a burr in the chamber of the barrel. That's also the biggest issue with my 870 I had. The fixed that however, while it doesn't jam now he hates it as it wont hit the same spot. He said he can't get it sighted in at all. This is from a guy that's been a Remington fan for a long time.

I think a lot of their older stuff is great and I'm a fan of it but their new stuff just doesn't seem like it goes through any quality control. If it does it's not very good quality control.

deadcoyote

Bought my first remington about 6 months ago...

It is a SPS-V in 308. I'm just dissapointed in the out of the box accuracy. I sold a Savage FP 10 a couple of years back and bought this to replace it because there was a backorder at the time to get a new savage. Maybe I just got lucky with a really accurate savage then ran out of luck on a 2 moa remington. It's hard to say as they are the only two rifles I've ever owned by either manufacturer.

The insult to injury quotient is amped up when all the die hard remington people are trying to line me out with what I should do aftermarket to get the Remington more accurate, I'd rarther get what I pay for and have a nice accurate rifle out of the box.

crimsondave

Another friend who has been a long time Remington fan and even thought the 710's were decent bought a new rifle for his wife this year to hunt with. It was a Remington semi auto .243 in synthetic. I think a 750 but I'm not sure. It was new and looked like a 750 though. It wouldn't cycle. It would kick the old shell out but not close all the way when pushing the new one in.

That's nothing new. Remmy autos have always sucked.

It is a SPS-V in 308. I'm just dissapointed in the out of the box accuracy.

There is no doubt the new line of cheaper rifles are nowhere near what the old ADL was. Not even close. My old ADL standard will shoot 1 MOA all day long with a regular barrel and full sized reloads. 2 MOA in a H-bar 308 isn't very good, so I don't blame you for being dissapointed.

I'd really like to hear from some folks with new 700 BDLs and CDLs.

I had a 870 Super Magnum Express shotgun

Just got through cleaning one of those. I hate it too. Mine has never failed in any way (should point out this gun was bought the first year they came out with the 3.5" 870, so it is by no means a brand new gun.) Problem is it tries to kill me with recoil every time I shoot it with anything other than light birdshot. 3.5" turkey loads will KILL you. It kicks WAY harder than my .375 H&H. WAY harder.

Last edited:

Big Bill

IMHO - Remington still makes some of the best rifles and shotguns on the market. I think the BDL and CDL are excellent examples of Remington's prowess. Maybe Remington should shift their production to China to get the quality up, since their American workers don't seem to care.

However, several year ago I bought my son a new Remington 597 and was so disappointed when we went to shoot it; becaust the adjustment screw on the sights stripped. And, we were done shooting until Remington sent us a new one. But, I was really unimpressed with the rifle. It just seemed cheap to me. Not at all like the speedmaster that I had years before.

Last edited:

thekyrifleman

Don't know how far back you go to consider a "new" version....My first 700 BDL was a 7 Mag, in 1966, most recent a 280 in 2005...actually a DBM Mountain rifle. Shoots great, just as my first one did right out of the box. Esily inside MOA, although truthfully, with age and failing eyes when I don't it's probably me and not the rifle!!!:) I've made changes to the 280, replaced the wooden stock with a McMillans Hunters Edge, only because the quality of the wood was really nice and I didn't want to get it scratched up. You know the saying, "one dissatisfied customer is all it takes"....

TheManHimself

I think the main thing is that the cheaper lines used to be nicer than they are now. They don't even offer a wood-stocked ADL anymore, for example. Basically the older guns were more "bang for your buck" so to speak.

GeauxTide

Check out Remington's site. You won't see a BDL or CDL offered. I'm sure there are thousands still in the pipe, though. Their new owners are (in)famous for destroying good companies, i.e. Chrysler and GMAC.

jmr40

http://remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-cdl.aspx

Both the CDL and BDL are still offered

http://remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-bdl.aspx

To answer another question about current Remington offerings. I have never cared for the BDL. Too flashy and gawdy for my tastes. It is a fine rifle however.

The CDL is much better, but I see no need for a 24" barrel in standard calibers.

The Model 7 was best left with alone. I don't like the current version.

The Mountain rifle is the best of the Remingtons, but mating a lightweight rifle with a heavy laminated stock makes no sense.

Remington has made some very desireable rifles, but have been in limited versions. They do not offer a rifle in a decent synthetic stock unless you go through the custom shop. The special run made for Gander Mt was a nice setup at a fair price. Forget what they called it.

I would trust a Remington to work fine and be accurate, But I've found other rifles that interest me more. I ain't selling the ones I have though.

kraigwy

I like Remingtons, I suppose, but I personally had better luck with Model 70s when it comes to making target rifles. I don''t know for a fact but I believe its brecause of the flat recievers. Even the Winchesters for me made better hunting guns although that last one I made for my Grandson was on a 700 action and it turned out pretty good.

After saying that, I carried a Model 700 in LE, It worked, I dont see how I could have beat it.

The finest Factory gun I ever bought was the New FN Model 70.

JMHO

crimsondave

I just looked at Remington's site and they do still make the BDL and CDL. However, they have cut the number of available calibers down by about 75%.
They certainly do have a bunch of very goofy looking models available. I don't understand why they make so many different models of rifle. They have more models than they do available calibers! You would think building all those different models would drive up production cost, but what do I know.

crimsondave

I like Remingtons, I suppose, but I personally had better luck with Model 70s when it comes to making target rifles.

I never had a model 70 that would shoot as tight. I don't care, though. I like them better anyway. Nothing is as slick as a pre 64 style 70. 70s just feel right. Control round feed. My bro in law just sold a true pre 64 model 70 in 06. He tried to sell it to me, but I did not have the money at the time. :(

rbernie

It's not that Remington 700's are *bad*, but I certainly don't think that they represent a good value. I just believe that I can get more rifle for less money elsewhere....

gak

I mostly decry Remington for eliminating the wood-stocked Mountain Rifle DBM. A good competitor for the similarly spec'd Win 70 Featherweight Classic of yore (or current Ftwt), another favorite of mine. Among Remington's past greats, they also came out several years ago (90s?) With a very limited (and little known)--but not fancy--"Euro" model, a beautiful (I won't say satin, but I guess "natural" non gloss) oil-stained/walnut stocked 700-based rifle that in some ways was a precursor of the CDL.

qwman68

I have an older model adl in .270 and itsa great shooter with handloads. The first gun i bought when my wife and i got married was a remington 870 xpress super mag. I have bird hunted, deer hunted, squirril hunted and turkey hunted with it for over 10 years without 1 single problem. My 1903 springfield is a 1944 made remington, and that baby will flat out shoot. My last group with handloads was .80 @ 100yrds. Ive heard some bad juju lately about poor qc. I think its a problem everywhere. Quality and pride in workmanship isnt what it used to be. Honestly, i think its making a comeback in the gun industry though. I have been and continue to be a fan of remington.

stubbicatt

I had one of the 40x cross the course rifles about 10 years ago. It was ok once I had the Jewell trigger installed. The fit and finish on this rifle was really deplorable. And this was a custom shop rifle!

By comparison, the CZ550 I have now is of obviously higher quality standards. They both shoot about the same tho.

30-30remchester

When you study gun design you can pretty much understand why Remington has quality problems. I have been a student of gun design and its construction and regularly completely disassembe every part to determine what construction standards were used and what machine were used to build the part. Remington isnt alone in its shortcomming. WAY to many to list.