Follow Along for my First AR Build

stagpanther

Anybody have any experience with McGowan barrels on an AR? I've got one on my customized Savage 11 but I've never had the time to really even develop loads for it so can't say for sure how it shoots.... I mean, it's only been 7 years since I got it. Give me some time.
Yes--my AR barrels from them have been excellent in general, and I think they are about to offer cut rifling and hand-lapping as an option. For a large-production manufacturer one of the higher quality ones IMO, just a very small smidgen under Criterion in my non-objective personal biased opinion. ;):D McGowen used to be willing to "go out on a limb" and cut my barrels to my own specs and cartridges not listed--they may still do that, I don't know. One of my pride and joys is a 284 win AR 10 I built using a barrel they made for me.

Last edited:

101combatvet

Almost all parts are in my hands except the BCG (in route), the lower (waiting the 5 days on CO "instant" BG check) and the barrel (10 weeks from 2 weeks ago).

McGowen is pretty well known and it seems almost universally appreciated as a quality product (and my .243AI from them shoots great in very, very limited use) so that's why I went with them.

That's totally cool and I take no offense. To each his own.
I like my bling, especially on a gun that actually serves no purpose whatsoever besides looking pretty and making noise. ;)

You'll want to look away when the pictures start... not only is it stainless and fluted... the flutes are helical.:D:p
All of mine serve a purpose. I sleep with an M4 loaded with ball and tracer ammunition. ;)

stagpanther

By sheer coincidence I'm putting together a 6mm ARC myself, I've built enough of AR's I find if I spend the day scrounging my endless piles of boxes and drawers I usually find all the parts I need to put one together--though no points for color coordination or looks generally.:rolleyes: Have you found a source for brass? I built a 6mm predator years ago based on a barrel I bought from ARP--dollars to donuts the ARC is almost the same thing with the shoulder pushed back a bit to allow seating of longer high SD bullets and free up maybe a couple grains of powder space. I already have a Redding type S Grendel bushing die that can convert Grendel brass to the 6mm predator, so I'm guessing it should be an easy size in the ARC die.

Geezerbiker

Were you able to get all the parts? I've been looking around for the next part for my build and I can't find a BCG for under 250 bucks that's still in stock.

Tony

jetinteriorguy

The good news is the only one I'm trying to please is me;)
I like stainless and I like flutes. Don't carry about function (or lack thereof) in either case, I just like it.

Good to know, thanks for the info.
The other consideration for me is that I usually find the LOP on rifles (~13.5") to be short for my liking. I guess I have monkey arms or something.;)
We'll see how it feels and shoots and go from there.

No worries, brother, I've been around a while, I know how it goes with opinions. ;)

Anybody have any experience with McGowan barrels on an AR? I've got one on my customized Savage 11 but I've never had the time to really even develop loads for it so can't say for sure how it shoots.... I mean, it's only been 7 years since I got it. Give me some time.:eek:

I'll have everything except the barrel by next Thursday... funny story, the Colorado "insta-check" background check system is currently taking 5+ days to "instantly" process background checks.:rolleyes:
I have that Hogue stock on my AR47 and it is shorter than any other stock I have on my rifles. It’s too bad because it’s a really nice stock and I like it a lot better than comparable MagPul stocks. But I don’t mind if it’s shorter, I’m a weird guy when it comes to LOP on rifles, I’m very tolerant of different lengths. Stock height/drop however makes a world of difference to me.

101combatvet

So what do you go to bed with?;)
Weapon-shield-8.jpg

stagpanther

Were you able to get all the parts? I've been looking around for the next part for my build and I can't find a BCG for under 250 bucks that's still in stock.
PSA has Grendel type 2 BCGs at the moment for around $160--though I doubt the bolt is a heavy duty one--those are hard to find. I'd pay the extra for the heavy duty bolt--though none of my guns that I run that use the regular type 2 bolt have ever failed. Hornady developed the ARC at lower pressures.

Geezerbiker

I'm going with a standard 5.56 NATO build and those BCG's are really hard to find right now. I suppose I'll wait and hope for better days to come...

Tony

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Geezerbiker said:

I've been able to find everything, although a lot of it took some serious searching.

The BCG I got from Ballistic Advantage, which from my research is supposedly part of or owned by Aero Precision, so I'm hoping it's a good one.

PSA has BCGs in stock right now
https://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15/upper-parts/bolt-carrier-groups.html

I did realize the other night that none of my parts/kits included trigger pins, which was sort of odd, so I ordered those now too.

Right now, the biggest hang up is going to be brass and/or ammo. I got a notice that Midway had ammo the other day. When I got there it said "Hurry! 5 in Stock", I added it to my cart and it said "2 in stock", I hit pay and it said I couldn't order as these were none in stock.

I'd love to get a few pieces of 6.5 Gren to see if I could convert it easily.

Scorch

Hey, Brian! Looks like you'll be joining the AR gang! And with a setup like that it should shoot well, too! I built an AR a few years ago with a 22" match barrel, PRS stock, cassette trigger, cantilever scope mount, free float tube. All the mil-spec fanboys gave me grief until they saw how well it shot. They were bragging about 3" at 100, mine shoots 1/4 MOA. They were all jazzed about mil-spec plastic stocks, mine has a fixed stock with adjustable cheekpiece and LOP. They were all excited over their gritty 5-6 lbs triggers, mine is a crisp 3 lbs. So just smile and nod, then go shoot little teeny tiny groups. Have fun!

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Scorch said:
Hey, Brian!

Hey brother, how you been?

Thanks for the comments.
What sort of stock do you recommend?
One of the reasons I chose the Jard trigger is because it can go so light. To me, a 3.5lb trigger feels like a boat anchor. My other Jard breaks at 13oz. I don't want that for an AR, but this one is supposed to go down to 1.5lbs.

My BCG from Ballistic Advantage arrived last night. I tell you what, if they make BCGs with the care and precision they package them with it should be an awesome piece. I have never seen such a thing. Clearly hand wrapped, very tightly in bubble wrap, with a perfectly placed sticker holding it together, like someone thought they were wrapping a Christmas present. It looked like they measured and squared it dead-center in the box and surrounded it on all sides with packing material and then every corner and seam of the box had perfectly flat, square tape. I've never seen a product boxed up like that in my life.

stagpanther

I'd love to get a few pieces of 6.5 Gren to see if I could convert it easily.
I too couldn't find any ARC brass so had to figure out how to make it from Grendel brass. Pre-trim the brass to the ARC's case length and it should work fine with a 1-shot pass through an ARC die, though I haven't fired mine yet. You might want to turn the neck depending on who's brass it is and how tight it is.

Last edited:

Scorch

What sort of stock do you recommend?
Well, Brian, I tend to go for precision stuff, so of course I got a Magpul PRS. It's a little heavy but I love the fully adjustable stuff. I'm sure there are other options out there, but I got a good deal on the PRS after Magpul brought out the PRS 2. Check around, I haven't shopped for one lately.

As far as the trigger, 2.5 lbs feels pretty nice on a varminter, so I would say get something adjustable like the Timney so you can play around with it and find your sweet spot.

rickyrick

I have ham fingers, every time I get a trigger around 4lbs I get the willies lol, but that’s just me.
I’ll always think of Brian as “Peetzakiller”

Looking forward to the final product.

One tip though, assemble all the small spring operated bits inside of a clear trash bag or any trash bag.
My BCG from Ballistic Advantage arrived last night. I tell you what, if they make BCGs with the care and precision they package them with it should be an awesome piece.
I’ve got lots of parts from BA, mostly barrels, but they are always flawless and look amazing.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
RickyRick said:
I’ll always think of Brian as “Peetzakiller”

Wow, not too many around here remember those days, I imagine. I still happily answer to "Peetza" for anyone so inclined.;)

I have almost all the pieces now, enough to see what it's going to look like more or less anyway.
Looks.... a lot like an AR :p

attachment.php

Attachments

• AR_Model.jpg
    AR_Model.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 243