FOBUS vs my guns finish????

SONICMASD

I am considering getting a Fobus holster for my blued Taurus 24/7 for open carry purposes, but am worried that it will scratch/wear the finish off my gun, can anyone please post your experience with Fobus or Kydex holsters and your gun finishes??

blades67

You will notice some scuffing at the contact points (between the holster and the gun), but they will be fairly small scuffs. Leather holsters are harder on the finish of a gun in the long run.

NeoBlu

blades67 said:
Leather holsters are harder on the finish of a gun in the long run.
Really? I would have thought leather holsters would be easier on a gun in the long run. But w/o any real world experience, I couldn't say.

-NB

TiP99

ANY holster will cause wear. I have a fobus holster but a Titanium slide, so wear is not shown. Not a bad holster for the price. Get the belt not the paddle holster. The paddle is the worthless.

SONICMASD

paddle vs belt: does it have a big ping pong paddle looking piece of plastic that goes down into your pants to hold the gun, or just a clip that attaches to your belt.

whats funny is ive always heard that paddles are the best.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
The problem with Fobus and other plastic or kydex holsters is that they have no "give" to them. The plastic itself won't mar the finish of your firearm, but any grit trapped between the plastic and the metal of your gun certainly will.

Thanx guys

Yep, it's a paddle holster :D ! I feel kinda silly not making the connection :eek: ....oh well. The paddle rocks! It keeps my Glock-23 snug as a bug while I carry. Sitting has not been a problem and the thougt of an accidental discharge has been very much reduced ;) . If it hurts my gun's finish then I haven't noticed as this is my newest gun-related purchase(3 days old). Consider it the cost of a hopefuly (if ever needed) easy quick draw!

PS I just might have to try playing ping pong with it ;) ......

gudel

I use fobus for my Glocks. It's more like Glock scratches the Fobus.
Inferior gun finish may wear faster, even with leather.

TiP99

I had a paddle holster but preferred the belt holster. More secure to me anyway. Thats true about the tennifer finish. Definately a plus. Glocks and Walther P99 both have tennifer. Do HK?

gudel

the finish on my glocks seem to be tougher than on my USPs.
I never worn the finish on all my Glocks or the HKs, but I've worn the finish on the XD within 2 days of purchasing it NIB. Is it my sandpaper hands or is it just the crappy finish? My Sig finish seems to stand better too.

MADISON

Fobus holsters and finish

I spray my Glock 21 Fobus holster's inside with WD-40. Any silicone spray will do. Keep a lite coat of Silicone on the inside of the holster to make in and out easier and help protect the finish.

Hawgleg44

I've used the Fobus paddles for a Sig P229, S&W 3953/6946/5943, Sigmas and a Glock 19.

I traded for the Glock to a friend of mine, and I carried/shot it for about a year before trading it back to him. I used only a Fobus holster, but did a LOT of training with it. By the time I traded it back to him, he though it was a different gun. It was practically new when I got it, but the Fobus had worn a fair amount of the finish off the slide.

Yes, the Fobus will wear the finish, but it takes many, many draws to do it. In fact, I went through a few Fobus paddles for the Glock because they got worn out from all the training I did with them. They didn't have much retention left to them.

The finish wear is nothing I've ever concerned myself with. I buy my guns to use. If they get holster worn, it just adds character.

Last edited: