FNX-9 review

JerseyDrez

Thanks so much for the review, MLeake.

It's ironic you just did this review as I am in the market for a pistol right now and the FNX/FNP is at the top of the list.

I have yet to shoot either but I have handled both the FNP and FNX in a gun store numerous times, and I can say they are VERY comfortable in my hands.

One thing I like over the FNP is the FNX decocker/safety design. I like the fact that up is the safety and down is the decocker, so you have two options rather than just one (decocker) with the FNP. Although those two options are one more thing to worry about when bullets start flying.

I do have one question though. In your review, you said that the grips chaffed your hands. When I held the FNX, the first thing I thought was, "wow, I better wear gloves shooting this thing!" I felt that the FNX stippled grips were very aggressive, almost too aggressive. You mentioned 'mildly chaffing', can you go into a little bit more detail please? I know it's weird but I do have a feeling that if I went with the FNX, I would file down the stippling so the points on each stipple were rounder instead of pointy.

Last edited:
The FNX has the bore lowered in the frame (google images), a new safety that allows for cocked and locked as well as a decocker, it also has the front serrations and strengthend trigger unit (early FNP units break very often).

MLeake

JerseyDrez, the guns have four backstraps each, as mentioned. The ones they came equipped with, and probably the ones you handled, are very aggressive stipple patterns, almost like short, thick bristles. Under forty recoil, I quickly learned that my hands are no longer callused enough since I quit lifting weights. Skin wasn't rubbed to the point of redness, but felt like it might as well have been.

However, while I didn't like the roughness of the equipped backstrap, I did like the thicker contour. Luckily enough, the pistol comes with another backstrap of matching contour, but instead of bristles it has raised, horizontal ridges. I don't find those irritating at all. Changing a backstrap is pretty easy, you just need a punch (the one I have in my Leatherman Wave fits perfectly) to depress a retention spring through a hole in the backstrap, and then the backstrap slides right off.

Note: You can see the ridged backstrap in the photo comparing thicknesses with the blue G21.

I've heard some people complain that backstraps leave a gap at the top of the frame, but mine fit quite snugly.

As I also mentioned before, the sides of the grip are textured well enough that there really is no need for aggressive texture (if any) on the backstrap.

MLeake

Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but the tops of the front ends of the extractors have red dots on them, which serve as chamber loaded indicators - they protrude slightly to the right, revealing the red dots, when a round is chambered.

And I really like the ability to unload the weapon while leaving the safety on. Or, for that matter, to chamber a round with the safety on.

ShipWreck

Anyone have issues with the mags?

I used to be the admin at the Fn Forum. There were tons of complaints about weak FNP magazines a few years ago. I even owned an FNP at one time, and I had to get 2 mags replaced because they would not lock the slide back after the last round (but one of the mags would).

Bob at FN admitted that they were getting a lot of returns, but that the parent company at FN "did not see a problem with this issue."

So, there were no plans to change the magazine springs. I have always been hesitant to get another FNP/FNX because there are no aftermarket magazine spring replacements.

So, just curious if any of the FNX owners are having these issues...

MLeake

If anything, the springs in my mags are too strong.

As mentioned before, I ended up buying an UpLula loader. Using just my hands, I was able to top off the .40 mags, barely, but my thumbs were killing me. Using just my hands, I could not get more than 15 rounds into any of the 17rd 9mm mags.

With the UpLula, it's fairly easy to top them all off.

The .40 mags, after the initial 150 or so rounds, and then the 200 I put through them yesterday, are getting to where I can load them manually, but they are still more comfortable (for now) with the UpLula.

Other hi-caps I've owned have included G21, CZ75B, BHP, 92FS, and P229. This is the first time I've needed a magazine loader...

On the bright side, I don't expect these mags to wear out anytime in the next several years (or longer).

JerseyDrez

I know you're talking about the backstraps, Mleake, but I am talking about the side grips. I felt that the stippling was very pointy and a bit too aggressive for handgun grips. Even if I switched backstraps, I think they would be the least of my worries.

MLeake

JerseyDrez, the side panels don't bother me in the least. They're more aggressive than what I normally would do, myself, but they don't hurt. They are no more grippy than the G-10 grips on my BHP. (Of course, that is pretty grippy.)

You'll have to shoot one, and see what you think.

insolentshrew

Just to touch on a few points people were mentioning. Having owned an fnp9 and own an fnx9, the muzzle flip is considerably less on the fnx, I also believe it is slightly lighter. Although the large front site is great for quick acquisition, I don't like the poi due to you have to cover your target with the front site. The fnps depending on when purchased had different front sites to determine POI. My fnp's poi was right along the top end of the front site, which I liked because it is easier for precision shooting in my opinion, vs the combat style covering of the target.

The stippling, some people complain that it is too rough on the hands. I work in IT, my hands are by no means leatherized from long years of construction work. The stippling on the frame doesn't bother me one bit, but if I use one of the aggressive stippled backstraps when I fire the gun it forces the stippling into the web of your hand, and I find it uncomfortable. I prefer the smooth backstraps, as the OP has stated, the grip on the side is what is going to give most of the control, the stippling on the backstrap is just preference.

And to correct another post, I may have misinterpretted how it was stated but the fnx's decocker is plastic. The slide stop is metal. The takedown lever is plastic, but may have some metal inside it, but I am not sure. It is very rigid, regardless.

Definitely recommend and uplula for any person with an autoloader, great $35 spent. The fnx mags are definitely very stiff, I had a bruised thumb from putting 150 rounds through on my first range session. I don't recall my fnp being nearly as bad. My fnx has experienced no gun induced malfunctions, I did have some reloads I shot that had some bad primers and a few required second strikes to fire. For factory loads, every round has gone bang. During my first few hundred rounds I had 3 instances of my slide not locking back, but after my recoil spring has gotten broken in it has been flawless. Currently have about 900 rounds through mine.

Night sights are available, whoever said they cant find any in stores, I doubt you would be able to. The only company that we are aware of that makes them is ameriglo. They make fnp, fnx, fnp45, and fnp45 raised night sights. Some fnforum members have purchased fnp45 night sights and the dovetail is roughly the same size as the fnx, and filed them slightly to get the desired fit. Also, the fnx has a slightly different barrel design but the fnp barrel does work on it. EFK dragon makes ported and threaded barrels. A fnforum member just acquired a threaded fnp9 barrel for his fnx9 and put 100 or so rounds through the other day with no malfunctions (good news). The fnx barrels will not work in the fnp line though.

Holsters - there are plenty of custom holster makers that make fnp/x 9 & 40 holsters. Fnp holsters fit the fnx9/40 just fine. The infamous crossbreed supertuck is available for fnp/fnx's. Members have reported sig pro sp2022 holsters, and xdm holsters working for there fnx's as well.

Hope that helps answer some more questions for you all.

A picture of my fnx in the holster I got, made by adams holsters.

IMG_20101224_221708.jpg

Last edited: