FNX-9 review

MLeake

So I bought an FNX-9 and an FNX-40 on my return to the states a week or so ago. Stripped and gave a quick cleaning to both at the gun shop, then took them to the shop's range to try them out. I was generally pleased, but decided to reconfigure both when I got home.

Note: For just about every purpose but caliber and capacity, these guns are interchangeable. The 9 is a wee bit lighter, but the grips are the same, the overall bulk and shapes are the same, and the triggers and controls are virtual twins. Accuracy was also very comparable. Recoil was more in the .40, no surprise, but it wasn't bad. So, while I'll specifically review the 9, please note that the same factors generally apply the the FNX-40 as well.

1. These pistols come with 3 magazines, which is nice. The 9mm magazines hold 17 rounds, and the pistol is 17+1. The .40 magazines hold 14 rounds, and the pistol is 14+1.
1a. All magazines fed reliably with FMJ, Gold Dot, and Hornady TAP ammo.
1b. All magazines were a severe pain to load by hand; springs are tight, feed lips are narrow. They function beautifully, but are hard on thumbs, and I could not manually load the 9mm magazines to capacity.
1c. I bought an UpLula mag loader today. Worked just great.
1d. FNX mags have been redesigned for ambi mag release, and are not compatible with FNP mags. (The ambi mag releases work quite well.)

2. The pistols come with 4 interchangeable backstraps. Two are thicker, rounder contour, and two are thinner and flatter. In the thick and thin pairs, there is one each of very rough checkered and milder checkered. The guns came in the box with the thick, rough backstraps. I found that mildly chafing on the 9mm, and very uncomfortable on the .40. After the first range session, I switched to the thick, milder backstraps, and those are perfect for my hands. Note that the sides of the grips are pretty aggressively stippled, so a rough backstrap really isn't a control aid IMO.

3. The pistols come with a pretty neat 3-dot sight setup, where the front dot is about twice the size of the rear dots. Makes it a breeze to quickly acquire the front sight. Also makes it easier to shoot with both eyes open.

4. The pistols will fit in holsters made for the FNP. I've read that others have found the FNX pistols fit well in SIG P250 holsters.

5. The pistols have a safety setup that allows cocked and locked carry (my default mode). However, the safety levers can be pressed down past "fire" to a decock position. The tension against the levers has been improved over the FNP. I think you'd have to work pretty hard to accidentally decock.
5a. The weapon can be cocked with the safety on "safe."
5b. Although the safety is frame mounted, it does not lock the slide. On the minus side, the safety won't hold the slide in battery when you holster. (A well placed thumb while holstering will fix the problem.) On the plus side, you can insert a magazine and chamber a round with the gun on "safe." You can unload the weapon with it on "safe." I like this.

6. The triggers are comparable in DA mode to a CZ75. The triggers in SA mode are somewhere in between a HiPower and a CZ75. There is some takeup in SA mode, but not a lot, and the break is predictable.

7a. I've only put 100 rounds through the FNX-40 so far, so while it has had no malfunctions, it's too small a count to draw any major conclusions yet. (I expect, though, that it will be just fine for many rounds to come.)

7b. I've put 350 rounds through the FNX-9, including 50 TAP 147gr and 50 Gold Dot 124gr +P. No problems whatever. Shoots slightly low with 124gr and 115gr, and dead on with 147gr. Recoil is no big deal with either load.

8. Takedown is very similar to that of a SIG. Takedown lever can only be turned down when the slide is back.

9. Control positions for all other controls are right where 1911, BHP, and CZ75B fans like them. Safety, slide release, and mag release are all ambi.

10. Accuracy (again, the .40 shoots very similarly to the 9mm, but these pics are from today with the 9mm):

50rds at 5yds
FNX9%2050rds%205yds.JPG

100rds at 10yds
FNX9%20100rds%2010yds.JPG

In both cases, I was aiming at the shadow along the bottom edge of the target's right eye (left side of the image from our perspective); this was with 115gr range ammo, and was slightly below POA, but not much.

Summary: I'm very happy with these pistols. Only major issues are -

A) Holsters are not common. However, you can use FNP or SIG P250 holsters. SimplyRugged.com makes FNP/FNX holsters, and I have a Cuda. Sam Andrews is currently making me a MacDaniel II, as well. But going to a store and finding a holster, not so easy.

B) You'll want the UpLula mag loader unless you like to do push-ups on your thumbs.

Last edited:

Billy Shears

Excellent review. Thanks.

So, did you buy both calibers to see which you liked better and sell the other or do you plan to hang on to both?

How well do you think these pistols will conceal IWB? Or are they better left outside the belt because of their size?

MLeake

I bought both calibers for a number reasons:

1) I had a bunch of .40 sitting around, from a previous pistol purchase that ended up falling through (couldn't get the factory options I wanted on a different make of gun).

2) My other full-size 9mm pistol is a Novak BHP MkII. Great gun, but unfortunately, the MkII can't handle +P ammo. Also, I was a bit nervous about taking a $2600 pistol on airline flights, and stowing it in baggage, so I wanted a travel 9mm.

3) I like Browning type control layouts, and am working to reshape my auto collection to such, primarily made in US, with the exception of my BHP. I'm also planning on getting a set, more or less, of FN. I have a 5.7 pistol and PS90 carbine on layaway, and will probably pick up an FN USG .45 to boot.

Edit: Forgot you asked about IWB.

The grips on both FNX pistols are surprisingly slim. The slides are slightly wider than a 1911's, and deeper as well due to the rail. However, they are light, and again not much bigger than a Commander. I got the SimplyRugged Cuda with In-and-Out straps, and have already carried IWB. No problem with a decent cover garment. (The Sam Andrews MacDaniel II I have on order is a dedicated IWB holster, so that should also tell you what I think of the pistols for IWB.)

SimplyRugged Cuda: http://www.simplyrugged.com/the-cuda/

Sam Andrews MacDaniel II: http://www.andrewsleather.com/macdaniel2.htm

MLeake

FN rebate

As noted in another thread, FN has a pretty nice rebate program going for active/reserve/retired military and LEO.

http://www.fnhusa1.com/PDF/DSP.pdf

Just noticed, this one expired DEC 2010; however, they are still running the ad in several shooter's magazines, so there must be an update someplace.

hhb

FN

Can anyone explain the difference between an FNX9 and an FNP9? There are no FNX's in town, but a local shop has a used FNP at a good price.

Pilot

I also would like to know the difference between the FNX and FNP pistols as well as the typical range in street price. Thanks.

Billy Shears

Others will have more info for you on this, but in short...

The FNX is an updated version of the now discontinued FNP. FNX has a lower bore axis for less muzzle flip, fully ambidextrous operating controls, higher capacity magazines, and has a safety/decocking lever with "cocked and locked" option as opposed to a simple decock lever.

That's it in a nutshell. I'm sure others will have more details.

MLeake

The FNX doesn't really look like it has a lower bore axis, but here's how they achieved it:

1) they undercut the trigger a big more, to let the fingers have a slightly higher grip;
2) they undercut the faux beavertail a bit higher, to let the web of the hand choke up a bit;
and
3) from what I've read, they lowered the barrel slightly within the slide assembly itself. I can't see this difference, myself, but I suppose it's possible.

Other differences:

- the ambi mag release works quite well; unlike some other pistols that have reversible mag releases which will work only in one direction, but that can be changed by the user, the FNX has no reversal necessary; it works from either side, as is. No disassembly/reassembly required.

- the rail is different (the FNP had more of the Glock-type rail).

- there is no compact FNX yet.

- as noted in the review, the FNP had a lot of folks reporting that taking the gun off safe, it was too easy to go through to decock. The gun would still work, but was now in DA mode. So, while C&L is possible with the FNP, it seems to work better (the safety requires a harder and longer push to go to decock) on the FNX.

- and, while the safety levers on the FNP were metal (aluminum, I think), the levers on the FNX are polymer, but they are substantial feeling polymer.

rigby06

FNP-9

I have a FNP-9, two tone, blue slide with the earth tone frame, it holds 16+1 so the FNX would hold an extra round. for myself I don't like the FNX but love the FNP, again this is just me, from what I have seen the difference between the two is very minor cosmetic. My FNP-9 only had two interchangeable back straps instead of 4. Yes the magazines are a little tough to load, I have several hundred round through mine no issues at all, and fed anything I put thought it. The accuracy was as described above. overall a fantastic weapon, as is the FNX is shaping up to be. Also my FNP-9 has the cock and lock safety as well as the de-cocker.

One other note that you may find hard to come by, night sights; I have been to 3 places local and no one has the FNP-9 night sights, I do not know if that hold true for the FNX or if that is just an issue with the FNP.

I have been so impress with this design weapon, that I am thinking of getting one in the 40 or 45 series.

skifast

I recently replaced my Taurus PT809 with a FNX. My Taurus holsters work with the FNX. The large dot took a couple of range visits to get used to, but now I am dead on.

I have been told that XD holsters will work.

I will also add that the gun is very lightweight. It is also very soft shooting.

robmkivseries70

I just took my FNX 9mm to the range on Sunday for the first time. I believe, due to the way the recoil feels, that the bore axis is lower. It's subjective, but I just traded off my XD 9mm service, and am comparing the two. All in all I am very pleased.:D I have a leather IWB holster that I had gotten for the XD 9mm. The FNX fits just fine and may be a little more comfortable due to the top of the slide being narrower. Magazines are expensive, I found the best price on line at A&A Arsenal. HTH
Best,
Rob

wbw

I've never tried an FNP so I can't compare it with the FNX, but the recoil in the FNX is surprising light for as light weight as the pistol is. I thought this gun would be pretty snappy due to it's lack of weight.
So I don't know if the bore axis is lower but I do know that it behaves as if it is low.
fnx9cammo005.jpg

KW Gary M

I have a FNX .40 and I couldn't be happier. Holds 14+1, light weight, solid, accurate and just fun to shoot. Breaks down very easily for cleaning. I have about 1,500 rounds through it without a single FTF, FTE or jam. Eats JHP, FMJ, JSP and cast hand loads. The low barrel makes for very little recoil. Most 9mm's kick more than the .40 FNX. Last time I was at the range there were two other guys shooting. One was shooting a Sig .40 anf the other a .45 Glock. We all swapped and shot each others' guns. All three agreed the FNX shot the best. The guy with the Sig paid $825 for it, the Glock guy paid $599 and I paid $600 for the FNX.

HK or Sig quality at Golck or XD prices. I would highly reccommend it to anyone.

Micahweeks

I'm digging all the love for the FNX! I, for one, think it is ideal as a service pistol, and I gave carried many. Ambidextrous controls, adjustable grips, soft recoil, 14 or 17 rounds, multiple carry options, and replaceable frame rails are a pretty winning formula. Not to mention great reliability, affordability, and ease of cleaning. I really hope to see this gun take off.

boscoh

I personally like the FNP grip more than the FNX, but I like the FNX safety design more than the FNP USG.

If FN would make a compact or subcompact FNX, similiar to the FNP-9m, I'd be all over it.

MLeake

I'd like it if they made a compact, too, but we'll see...

Meanwhile, took the FNX-40 to the range yesterday. Also, took some comparison photos for size, vs other pistols.

Comparison of G21 (blue plastic for weapon retention training), DW CBOB, FNX-40, and S&W 13 3":
G21%2C%20DW%20CBOB%2C%20FNX-40%2C%20S%26W%2013-3.JPG

Width comparison of DW CBOB and FNX-40 (sorry for poor image quality):
FNX-40%20%26%20DW%20CBOB%202.JPG

Thickness comparison of G21 and FNX-40:
FNX-40%20next%20to%20G21.JPG

FNX overlaid on DW CBOB:
FNX-40%20over%20DW%20CBOB.JPG

FNX overlaid on G21:
FNX-40%20over%20G21.JPG

And last, a dead zombie pizza guy (I'm told that when the shop gets the newer zombies, they'll not only be color, but they'll spatter white when hit... looking forward to those... I'm easily amused) 100rds each to head and chest, WWB 165gr at 8yds:
FNX-40%20200%20rds%208yds.JPG

I now have 300 rds through the FNX-40, with perfect function so far.

MLeake

More FNX-40 pics

Limit of 6 images per post, so had to add an additional post...

FNX sight picture (I know, not perfectly aligned, you try holding a pistol and camera... meanwhile, note that due to the oversized front sight dot, even from the camera's perspective the front dot is easy to pick out):
FNX-40%20sight%20picture%20and%20slide%20width.JPG

FNX bore axis:
FNX-40%20bore%20axis.JPG

Note that in this pic, the safety is on safe, and the weapon is decocked.

Last edited: