FNX 45?

smee78

Hey yall,

I traded my Glock 21SF to a friend of mine who had had been wanting it for a while now and was on the hunt for a new full size 45 for range and home defence. After some searching and thinking I decided to go in a little different direction and went with an FNX 45, I went with the black frame and stainless slide model. It should get here some time next week, one of the main reasons I went with this gun was getting to handle a FNP 45 at one of the local stores (I think it was way over priced). So what does the collective thought think about this gun? Any one have one? Shoot one or had any time with one? I also am looking at holsters and know that they are few and far in between and are limited so what is everyone using? I know there is alot of Kendex(sp) type holsters but I was always more of a leather man myself. I cant wait to get it:D

Uncle Malice

It's a well built gun, albeit way too large for my hands. My Glock 21 Gen4 is definitely one of my favorite 45's ever. I also have the USP 45 Tactical, HK 45, and M&P 45.

I have a friend/coworker who has the FNX-45. I have shot it quite a bit. It's a pretty nice gun, just too large for my tastes, and my G21 has the same capacity without the bulk.

For a DA/SA 45, I love my USP 45. The ergos are better on the HK 45, but for a 10rd capacity, I will go with the M&P instead. It's smaller and lighter.

I think you should be satisfied with the gun, although you might be surprised if you haven't handled one. I frequently joke that it's as wide as a port-a-potty.

Cosmodragoon

The FNX is exceptionally well-built. That is surprising because empty, it almost feels like a toy. It is very large and very light. It might still be the highest-capacity .45 on the market too. The weight change as you empty the magazine is noticeable as a result. Some shooters don't like that but with the cheese-grater grip and its interchangeable back-straps, it is easy to keep a firm hold. Take-down is easy. It comes with a nice case and three magazines.

I know I'm in the minority these days but I like SA/DA with a decocker. I carry down in DA but the FNX lets you carry "cocked and locked" if that's your thing. My only complaint is that I'm also old school in preferring a metal trigger. As colder weather approaches, it might be time to start the arduous process of finding the right shoulder rig for this beast.

Last edited:

Sight Unseen

Cosmodragoon, I don't think your in the minority with a preference towards DA/SA with a decocker. That's my preferred style and from what I read on these forums and around the web, along with personal experience, I believe many prefer the DA/SA setup.

On the FNX front I've never had the pleasure of handling let alone firing one of these bastions of .45 ACP firepower. I would love to have one though.

smee78

Thanks everyone for sharing,

I liked my Glock ok but I did not want to have to also buy another barrel for it because I want to shoot lead bullets ( I'm a reloader) and I like a gun to have a hammer lol. Like I said before, a local store has a used FNP 45 and I liked the action and the feel of the gun, it fit fine in my hand, the only thing I will have to get use to is the longer reset trigger, unless it is better on the FNX model. I would of just bought the FNP but it is way over priced and the model I was able to get has the stainless slide and I think I like that a little better. I think I will carry it most of the time hammer down in a good holster, the only guns I like to carry cocked & locked are my 1911's :rolleyes:

10mm4ever

I read somewhere recently that if you let the FNP/FNX sit out in the sun for awhile that the polymer can expand to the point that the trigger can freeze up?

smee78

Ha Ha Ha....thats funny, I havent heard that one yet..really who leave there guns out in the sun just sitting there for extended periods of time? And if it were true then the gun would "expand" when they got hot from shooting.....who writes that sillyness.:confused:

weblance

I bought an FNX-45 last year. I have over 2,000 rounds through it now, and its been perfect. Its dead on at 25 yards with 230 gr ammo. Ive shot as many different brands of Hollow Point ammo as I could find, and it digests everything reliably. I think its about as perfectly designed as a pistol can be.

jmr40

I really wanted to like the FN. I bought one with the thought of replacing my G-21. Kept it about a year and found I shot the 'Glock much better, and that it was more reliable too. I eventually sold the FN and stayed with the Glock.

smee78

Thanks guys for shaing,

I know sometimes we just shoot a certain gun better than others, it happens lol. Has anyone done any reloading or shot any lead loads throught theres yet? That was one of the major reasons I let my friend "get" my Glock, I want to reload for my guns and did not want to purchase a replacement barrel for my Glock. I know one day I will get it back from him but I'm in no hurry, we seem to trade back and forth, it makes the collection bigger to pull from.:D

FAS1

had been wanting it for a while now and was on the hunt for a new full size 45 for range and home defense. After some searching and thinking I decided to go in a little different direction and went with an FNX 45

Works great for workshop defense too! :D

cfffcdac6ee67aee83aede0481d57c66.jpg

viciouskitty

I don't have a fnx45 but I do have the fnx9 and I have done extensive shooting with reloaded lead ammo out of that gun from 115-158 Grain lead loads. The gun digests them with no issues in fact I've never had a jam in over 3500 rounds. I've shot my buddies fnx45 and I don't see why it wouldn't perform the same, I have shot some of my 230 lead reloads out of his gun with no issues. They are great but under rated guns very reliable and the trigger does get better with use. Mine has won me a regional idpa match in the marksman division 2 years ago

smee78

Viciouskitty, Thanks for sharing the reloading info for your FNX9, that does make me feel better. I know I will have to run some stronger loads (higher end of the reloading book,not out of it) in the gun as it "breaks in" with it strong slide and mag springs.

FAS1, that is a great idea and an awsome setup. I like it alot, did you cut up a lock box and make that one your self or did you buy it? I would like to do something like that myself.

smee78

I was at a local pawn shop and they had a FNX 9 with a stainless slide and I may be getting another FNX even before my 45 arrives from shipping.....:eek:

Cosmodragoon

If you pick up the 9mm version, I'd love to see your review. I love the FNX-45 for its features, which make it perfect for duty or "serious" situations. I know this is highly subjective but that's where I look to .45 as a caliber, want the capacity, and don't mind a bigger or less ergonomic sidearm. On the other hand, I view 9mm as good for most casual situations and EDC in "civilized" areas. There, ergonomics and ease of carry become much more important considerations for me. So I previously overlooked the FNX-9 but now you've got me curious...

dontcatchmany

I have the FNX 45, the FNX 40 and the FNS 40. I also have a .357 Sig barrel that can be use in the FNS 40 and the FNX 40.

I have a couple thousand rounds through each (only a couple hundred through the .357 Sig barrel) and never a problem.

Dead on accurate even for an old guy with arthritis like me.

If I did not already have a couple of 9 mm pistols (Sig P938 and Bersa UC Pro) I might would be interested in an FNS 9 or FNX 9.

I have only shot one glock ever and it was in .45 but I do not know what model. Personally, I can not see the hullabaloo over glock.....at least not for me. I will keep my FNH pistols.

Ruger9er

A used FN 9mm is on my to-do list. I really like my SR9C but I would like to try an extended session with a truly ambidextrous handgun. As a lefty we adjust and the 9C is pretty ambi, but I'd like to see if it makes a difference. Just for fun. Its a nice gun.

Micahweeks

I have the FNX9, one of the first produced as a matter of fact. Traded my FNP for it. I think they are excellent. I shoot it better than my Glocks, and I'm not really sure why. In fairly quick fire, I can close up my groups with the FNX. I'm no slouch with my Glocks, but for some reason I'm better with the FNX. It's probably something to do with how much trigger time I have on the USP9, another DA/SA platform.

As someone already said, there is this sort of strange rebalancing as you empty a mag in the FNX, especially the 45. However, the sites still fall back in line, so it doesn't really matter, at least not to me. If I had to nitpick something, I'd prefer a different grip texture, something a little smaller. The texture on the FNX isn't bad. It's like little pyramids and works really well. But, I like the fine checkering on some of my other guns a little better, even though I don't shoot them as well.

smee78

Thanks everyone for sharing, I am excited about the FNX 45 that I have coming. I already started looking through my ammo to decide what I want to start shooting first. I also am going to crank out some reloads to see how it likes them as well.