Flying with firearm to protect luggage

imp

I had the TSA break into my locked luggage and then into my locked pistol case at the Philly airport a few years back. What I learned was NOT to use the TSA compliant luggage locks, and double lock any gun cases, if possible.

2ndsojourn

^^^ imp,
Did someone steal your gun, or just look at it?

If you didn't have TSA-compliant locks, (which I assume they have a master key or combination) they would've broken it.

imp

No, they didn't steal my pistol, but they damaged the case to the extent that they couldn't lock it back, so they contacted the airline who directed me back to the luggage inspection station. The TSA tried to pretend that they had found it that way at first, but the lie was so absurd that they quickly admitted to it. Then they "fixed" the locking case by beating the crap out of it until the locking lever thingy was stuck and had to be cut open when I got home.

Concerning the luggage locks, I was told at the time (and have not had a problem since) that should it be required to search luggage that had a non-compliant lock, that passengers are notified and given the opportunity to unlock it before they cut it.

CowTowner

I don't have the U.S. code in front of me right now, but I do have it adhered to my hard cases used when I fly. I'll post it when I get home this evening.
TSA is NOT supposed to be able to open the locks on your gun cases. No one but the passenger that declared the case contained firearm (the owner) at check-in is allowed to have the key.
If they need to inspect it to verify it is unloaded, they are supposed to ask you to unlock the case in their presence so they can do so. Once inspected, you are to re-lock the case.
Remember, TSA are security guards, not sworn LEO's.

I know this topic has gone more than a couple of laps here on TFL.

CowTowner

Found a link to the code on Cornell University's web site.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/1544.203

Here's the part I was referring to. (2) (iii) is the operative section:
(f) Firearms in checked baggage. No aircraft operator may knowingly permit any person to transport in checked baggage:
(1) Any loaded firearm(s).
(2) Any unloaded firearm(s) unless—
(i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally or in writing before checking the baggage that any firearm carried in the baggage is unloaded;
(ii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container;
(iii) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the individual checking the baggage retains the key or combination; and
(iv) The checked baggage containing the firearm is carried in an area that is inaccessible to passengers, and is not carried in the flightcrew compartment,.
(3) Any unauthorized explosive or incendiary.

imp

What I was saying about the TSA compliant locks was on the outer suitcase that the gun case was in. They initially opened that lock to search my luggage. If I had a good padlock on the suitcase itself, they would have had to contact me before opening it. HOWEVER, since all the suitcase had on it was a compliant lock, they can and will open it at their discretion. What they did afterwards was inexcusable, and I have since bought a much sturdier pistol case for flying.

I also fly less frequently as well, and I don't care for the idea of being diverted to NY or NJ and running afoul of local laws.

While flying with a firearm is legal and occasionally necessary, the various governments and airlines make it as painful as possible to discourage it.

CowTowner

You should have heard the collective gasp in the International Terminal at DFW when the AA counter person told me to open the case. The form I signed had to be placed inside of course. But there was no discreet open slightly and slide the card in. It was open wide and show everyone in line what was in the case. :D

campbed

I've only traveled with my gun once (last month), so I'm no expert...

I bought a solid pistol case with two lock points, two Masterlocks locking it.

Place in my suitcase, I don't put locks on my checked suitcases as I never put anything valuable in them, that stuff (computer, camera, etc) comes with me in my carry on).

I also had print outs of the TSA policy, and the Airline policy on me.

Declared at check in, filled out the tag, plopped in the suitcase on top of the gun case, the end. Coming home, they walked me down to TSA scanning station, scan, "have a safe trip", the end.

I DID notice a TSA inspected white tape on the back of my suitcase when I arrived home.

As to don't ever do this because you'll go to jail if you get diverted to an anti-state airport. I'm no lawyer but... if you are smart enough to know the regulations to do this at all, then be smart enough to not take possession of said luggage from the airline in the anti-state airport. Just tell them you have a declared firearm in it, and it is on them to get it to where you are going, have a nice day. If it ends up an a baggage carousel, go straight to the missing baggage desk, and get in front of the issue, and have them take it off the carousel. This is how I would handle it anyway, and I won't be going to jail.