Florida has no caliber minimum for deer???

Rebel9793

anything centerfire for deer is fine in florida. I shoot a .22 hornet, .17 fireball, .221 fireball etc for deer all the time. That old Ruger M77 Hornet has more deer kills to its name then most peoples .22's for squirrels lol.

Texas minimum caliber...

is not specified, per se. The only requirement is that it be a CENTERFIRE round.

So, I guess that means it doesn't matter if it is a pistol or rifle.

Seeing as how the .25 ACP is centerfire, technically you can shoot Texas deer with a little "Saturday Night Special"!:eek:

B.L.E.

Seeing as how the .25 ACP is centerfire, technically you can shoot Texas deer with a little "Saturday Night Special"!

My observation, the real problem here is convincing hunters that Texas whitetails aren't African big game and that a .30-06 is plenty, overkill even.

cdmckane

My observation, the real problem here is convincing hunters that Texas whitetails aren't African big game and that a .30-06 is plenty, overkill even.

We have same problem here in NY. My buddy went out today with a .338 Win Mag.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

okiewita40

I just looked in the regs for OK. the only limits I found are for .22 cal centerfire must be at-least 55gr soft point or HP and not capable of more than 7 rounds. Anything bigger than 22 cal centerfire has no mag restrictions.

chewie146

In NM, it has finally gone down to .223 for mulies. .22 or larger for center fire. Technically that means .25 ACP, but before the .32 ACP was just fine, so there is still a common sense requirement. For years and years, the only reason to hunt with a .223 here was for varmints. No rifles for turkey and no center fire squirrels or small birds. However, since I can remember, smallest shotgun allowed is a 28 gauge with a single slug. No buckshot. I guess they want a clean miss. Game legislation will always change, and not always toward something that makes more sense. Given that it's freeing up your choices, I'd be extremely happy with that change. I know a .22 hornet is too small for a muley, but I don't need the game dept. to tell me that.

JGC

I hunted in florida all my life,

For deer---Any centerfire rifle is allowed, no rimfire 22short,22lr,or17, are not allowed.
For hogs- Anything goes 22lr seems to be popular with a tap rite behind the ear inside 100 yards does the trick.

i used a 223-16 inch dpms m4 config with a 1x6 variable with hornady ammo, make sure to use hp, fmj is also illegal,
most shots are inside 200 yards so use a variable.

223 with expanding hp such as hornady 75gr tap is sufficient, the deer down there are about 80lbs on average.

Now i live in co, whole new ball game.
minimum here is 6mm so 243 and up.
if anyone wants to do some varminting here in co and has a place please pm. i am in search

Win73

Here in Alabama the law just states a centerfire rifle firing an expanding bullet with no capacity restrictions. For muzzleloader rifle or pistol it specifies minimum .40 caliber. For pistol it again just specifes centerfire with an expanding bullet. So my Ruger LCP .380 with a soft nose or hollow point bullet is a legal deer hunting gun in Alabama but a 1911 .45 firing FMJ bullets isn't!

During our two and a half month long regular gun season I carry my .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk on my hip in addition to my .30-06. I once passed up a six foot shot at a doe with the Blackhawk because I had seen a buck just before and was hoping to get a shot at it. I never did. Such is life in a deer blind!

Ben Towe

We have same problem here in NY. My buddy went out today with a .338 Win Mag.

I've been using one almost since I started hunting. When I pull the trigger on a deer it's down, right then. No tracking, no searching. Overkill is underrated.