Flashlights ON the gun

buck40

I have some experience using weapons mounted lights in tactical situations. However let me preface all my comments by saying I have never been in a live fire fight under these circumstances. But, our team does quite a bit of simunitions training.

The weapons mounted lights are the most versatile tactical accessories. They allow positive identification of the target and at the same time blind the target. Most types allow one handed use of the weapon - a very important consideration when setting up a tactical weapon.

I have found that intermittent use of the light is VERY difficult. It is a fine motor skill. You must think on and off while at the same time doing a deliberate threat scan and assessment. You must also accomplish this with only one eye open or you will ruin all of your night vision. Then you must immediately move because you have given away your position. This becomes much more difficult if you throw in actually shooting.
Light, threat scan, threat assessment, fire, light off , move, and repeat. Remember while the light is out and you are moving you are trying to regain your night vision plus the bad guy is probably moving also. Now yu have to start form scratch and begin searching all over again.

Our team turns the lights on upon entry and leaves them on under almost all circumstances. We use dynamic movement to reduce the risk of our lights being the targets. As for as being able to shoot the center of the light - most tactical lights put out enough light to not only blind but also to disorientate. In simunitions training I have never successfully engaged (in a CQB situation) the center of the light.

Light and movement will most always give the advantage to the team.

All light techniques should be practiced under a variety of conditions to test each individuals physical reactions to the technique.

To the best of my knowledge
Buck Peddicord

Harry Humphries

Staff Alumnus
Jeff the issues with respect to tactical philosophy vary greatly between large unit operators and very small unit operators for all the obvious reasons. IR has a great advantage in that it retains the unit's tactical or clandestine advantage provided the other side is not equipped to pick up the IR illumination if active systems are used. A Ranger fire team, for example, will be much larger than a SEAL boat crew or squad. Workit espouses the use of IR for strong hold approach and is probably using Bravo 7 head gear. In an open field this gear works well but remember that there is a restricting visual cone of (20, or so degrees?) which means that close in objects are not visible unless the user sweeps his vision pattern up and down - back and forth this is not easy to do in close in situations that occur inside rooms where the field of view becomes more restricted as objects get closer. Outside in open areas it is not as problematic because we are normally looking out several yards away where the vision field gets broader with distance from viewed objects.

Some of the SEAL teams use bravo 7 gear as well but they also have gone to monocular gear which provides for ambient, complete peripheral vision with one eye ( preferably the dominant or shooting eye) in any case they will always opt for tactical profile before giving in to convenience as they do not normally have as much fire power to get out of trouble.

Harry Humphries

Staff Alumnus
Good points Buck

The optimal method for neutralizing the tell tail white light problem is as I've discussed and I still recommend practicing this technique especially if you find some day that you are searching with one partner or alone. If you are entering dynamically with a team there is no way you cannot flood the room with white light. A continuous view of all activity in the room is needed instantly and must be maintained throughout the dynamic entry and clearing phase. Your dynamic fire power will over ride the disadvantage of giving your position away. In any case once white light is emanated visual purple is destroyed and will not be recovered for 30 minutes or so depending on several physiological and altitude factors

Jeff White

Thanks for the answer Harry. I've used the PVS-5s and 7s and figured periphial vision and depth perception were the main reasons. I've never used the monocular tubes.

I seem to be the only one who is using red lenses. The Police training Institute of the University of Illinois is now advocating them, is eeryone one else pretty much either white light or IR?

Mike Mello

Hi Guys,

You may have addressed this, but I think that one of the original question was, how to handle both the flashlight and sidearm during the door opening. Might I suggest the use of a lanyard on a smaller style light, such as Surefire products.

If you work for an agency that does not allow lights on patrol duty weapons (SWAT gets to use all the toys) you must confront the problem of building searchs with both hands full. A lanyard on a smaller light allows one to maintain the weapon in a retention position, such as back by the body, drop the light the length of the lanyard, open the door, retrive the light and continue your search. I now carry two lights, an issued Mag light for regular duty needs, and a Surefire 6Z for tactical purposes. As soon as they develope a light that is the same size as the 6Z, as bright as a larger light, and rechargeable, that will be the only light I carry.

Mikep

When using flashlight and gun on building searches, I use the following technique when I need to open a door, move an obstruction, etc.

I keep my strong hand on the weapon and pull the gun against my torso, (which is a good idea anyway so you don't lead with it and invite a grab) and I use the middle, ring, and pinky fingers of the strong hand to hold the front of the flashlight by the outside edge of the lens and push the light back against the torso. When the door is open or the obstruction moved, I go back into what I call the modified Ayoob technique where the flashlight is held alongside the pistol with the lens touching the strong hand fingertips and the base touching the inside of the forearm. The thumb of the opposite hand operates the switch. Works great.