Flash hider as barrel tuner

taylorce1

tangolima said:
I don't do factory ammos, except.22lr, and even that I stick to one particular make and model. I have my own steps to develop a load. I am not changing that. The tuner is just a final polish, which will probably cost 20 extra rounds. If it helps at all, I will do it.

All I was saying is that barrel tuners need constant tuning. Any time you open a new brick of rimfire ammunition, canister of powder, brick of primers, or box of bullets for your hand loads, you're going to need to test your tuner. They are not a set and forget accessory to your rifle.

Here is a guy doing the same thing you're talking about with a self timing brake: https://youtu.be/wXxSySAw4E0

Here is an argument against tuners: https://youtu.be/NvzU1HiCKj0
This guy shoots F-Class and while some of his comments wont apply in this situation, some will. I'm neither for or against tuners, I said I believe they work.

Browning and Winchester both had the BOSS tuner at one time, but they had to be constantly adjusted every time your average hunter bought a box of ammo for deer season. They also didn't really improve an average deer hunters chance of success, and since most people didn't understand the purpose of the BOSS they thought they were ugly and undesirable. So the BOSS simply went away after a short time.

Last edited:

tangolima

Thanks. I believe I have watched the clip and agree to his points. That's why I don't want to invest with real money for a tuner product.

When I handload I tend to stay with what combination that work good enough. However I have found it more and more difficult to practice due to shortage. I have to constantly switch to make use of what is available. As a final polish to my load, an improvised tuner may still work. 20 rounds extra to find the tuning position is the rule.

22LR I usually buy 500 rounds boxes. I will see how it goes. If I only need to retune every 250 or 500 rounds, no problem. Actually the first experiment is going to be metal collar on my old faithful marlin 81. I am doing about 1 moa at 100yd with Aguilar ultra extra hv. Any improvement I will be jumping with joy. It has perforated soda cans at 150 to 175 yd. I hope tuning improves the hit rate. The tube magazine hanging under the barrel doesn't make things easy. I will need to modify the metal collar to fit.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

tangolima

That doesn't ride well with my cheapskate philosophy. I can't throw away "substandard" lots. :)

-TL

Paul B.

44AMP said,"Browning BOSS system. Look it up. I've never used one, but people say it works. Also be aware it was made for sporting rifles not benchrest guns."

There was also an outfit called QUE that made a gadget that was for all practical purposes as BOSS. I was about to order one when they disappeared. A friend had one on a Ruger #1 that wouldn't shoot worth spit and the QUE made a big difference in the way that rifle shot. Near as I could tell it worked exactly like the BOSS. Guess browning sued them out of existence. :mad:
Paul B.

tangolima

Tried that today at the range. Moved the muzzle device 1/3 turn at a time and shot 3 round groups. The POI and group size definitely changed. Best result cut group size in half. I don't want to claim success just yet without further test. It seems hopeful.

-TL

44 AMP

Staff
The trick will be finding the right spot to get the best groups, and then having it stay there. And be repeatable. Good Luck!

tangolima

I know. Repeatability/consistency may not be good. I need to test more before I can draw conclusions.

-TL

TXAZ

That’s a great idea. I’m curious how you are keeping the flash hider from rotating on its own?

tangolima

Have been tinkering with this on and off. So far I have a few successful results. The latest attempt is a cheap 18" barrel in 5.56 Wylde. I managed to drive the group size from 1.5moa to 0.8moa. A few things I have learned.

1. The step size must be small, no more than 15 degree, or you will miss the nodes.

2. The pattern is cyclical. Nodes and antinodes happen again and again.

3. There are nodes in vertical and horizontal directions. They don't necessarily coincide. It is the sweet spot when they do.

4. It only works with symmetrical muzzle device.

-TL