Fixed power rifle scope

tangolima

I think high scope power and small moa per click is important for shooting small targets at short ranges. Silhouette shooting is the game. However I found high scope power makes the image jittery. I prefer low magnification if possible. In the type of shooting I am doing, it is either a hit or a miss. No extra point to hit the bullseye.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Rimfire5

tangolima,

Even at almost 80, I can keep a 36X scope solid and steady on my aim point if I have a solid rest and take care in my set up.

But if I muscle the stock or have my cheek weld too tight on the stock, I see all kinds of motion, mostly my heartbeat and the shake from my less than steady muscles.

HiBC

What our eyes interpret is the light reflected off a target 1000 yds away after it travels through 1000 yds of air.

If you have an abundance of light, your eye pupil may choke down to 2 mm.

Under that circumstance, With a 40 mm objective and a 10X ,the optics focus the light to a 4 mm dot . The scope can deliver all you can use with your eye constricted to 2 mm.(in theory.)
"Exit Pupil" is not a washer you are peeking through. Its the "dot" of light the optics focus the light that goes through the objective lens. That light gets bent and focused down to a "Dot" Thats exit pupil.

With a 20 X scope and a 40 mm objective on a bright day when your pupil is 2mm, you still have adequate light.(Scope has a 2mm exit pupil)

If its a little cloudy and your eye pupil is 4 mm, he 2mm exit pupil is a bottleneck and you may not have sufficient light reflected off that 1000 yd target to resolve adequately.

An advantage to a variable is that actually the exit pupil is variable. Decreasing the magnification will increase the exit pupil and give your eye more light. You might see the target better at 12 X than at 20 X

With a variable you can adapt to varying light conditions.

A larger objective will collect more light. At 10x, a 50mm objective will have a 5 mm exit pupil and a 40 mm objective will have a 4 mm exit pupil.

If you do the " pi r squared" math its quite a bit more area/light.

When choosing a fixed power, I would balance the objective size with the magnification to coincide with my "best guess" as to what my eye pupil might measure under the light conditions. "Sunny day" target shooting only might allow more ,magnification. My hunting 6X by 42 mm Leupold has a 7 mm exit pupil. Its as good as it gets for a low light scope.

Note on spotting scopes, a 60 mm objective scope will often be fitted with a 15 x or at most 20 x eyepiece. Generally those will "see" the target best. My 77 mm fluorite crystal objective Kowa gains little to nothing over about 45 X in typical light.
For a fixed 20X I might want a 50 mm objective rifle scope . I'd still need decent daylight to use it effectively.

Spec out your reticle . Find out the MOA width of the stadia. A 1/4 MOA stadia wire will cover a 2.5 in aiming point at 1000 yds. A 1/2 MOA will cover 5 in at 1000 yds. That might matter to you.

Last edited:

jmr40

I had a couple of the SWFA scopes. Mine were 6X and I was able to shoot some 4-6" groups with them at 600 yards. They have very fine crosshairs and are a darn good scope for the money. I sold them because for what I do most of the time they were simply too large and heavy. But they are an excellent entry level scope for target shooting.

But everything I've read/witnessed says the 6X or 10X is the sweet spot. The more magnification you go with, you really need a better-quality scope. I've not tried a 12X and it may still be OK. But a friend had a 20X and it wasn't in the same league as my 6X's when it came to clarity.

Exit pupil shouldn't be a concern on a target scope. Those have 42mm objectives and should be OK in any legal hunting situation right up to dark with 10X. Above 10X and you may have some issues right at dark. But most people aren't shooting at paper in the dark.

To figure exit pupil simply divide objective size by the magnification. 42mm/ 10X= 4.2mm exit pupil. I like for my hunting scopes to be 5mm+, but 4.2 is close enough for most situations. A 42mm/12X is only 3.5mm and is getting pretty small.

taylorce1

I have a couple SWFA SS 6X fixed power scopes. I one one on a Ruger 10/22 target rifle. I also tried one on my Savage 6X45 rifle, that I've since removed. The SS is a heavy optic but it seems bulletproof tough.

I mainly took the one off as it was on an EGW 20 MOA base in Burris Tactical low rings, and it had the scope too high to get a good cheek weld. I would have to add a riser or something to get eye alignment. I tried taking off the EGW base, but at 40 in-lbs I twised a torx bit off in the mounting screw. So I mounted a 1" tune scope in extra low rings to get a more comfortable cheek weld.

HiBC is somewhat close on his history. The SS 10X was given a NSN (National Stock Number) by the Navy. That doesn't mean it beat out other optics or was awarded a large Government contract. It just meant the Navy wanted to test them more than probably the handful of samples they had could provide.

You might take a look at Arken Optics, I have the one linked. It has a 34mm main tube and is stupidly heavy at 36 ounces! I got it really cheap, and thought I'd give it a try, but I doubt I'll keep it long term. The reviews on forums is quite favorable on their optics.

MarkCO

SWFA has been the go to for decades now. Since no one has really invested in premium fixed power optics for several decades, we get what we got for the most part. Bushnell discontinued the BT1040, but you can still find them used for not much $. Weaver also made good fixed power target scopes, again, you may find one used.

I have had a few 10x SS from SWFA and they are money well spent. The Bushnell was also good, but sold it with a rifle. I never owned a fixed Weaver, but I had F class friends who used them.

tangolima

I went to the range with my Bushnell 42mm variable power scope. I set it to 12x to see how it worked. I think it works fine. After 3pm it became cloudy, I started seeing some vignetting. I had to move my eye closer to the eyepiece to rid of it.

I forgot to adjust parallax till I was done. The results could have been even better if I did.

12x is the one then. Unfortunately I will have to wait a few months. Car registration just came. It costs 3 scopes. I don't really have money burning hole in my pocket.

-TL

tangolima

Picked up a $50 4x32 on ebay. It is indeed rather cheaply made in appearance, but it actually works quite well. Optics is clear and bright and tracking is good. Exposed turrets, AO parallax down to 5yd, and illuminated mil dot reticle. 1/4moa per click (signature of cheap scope). Perfect for my bolt action .22LR to 150yd or beyond. It is a discontinued model of certain cheap brand. I think they have had real difficulty selling the scope because of its "low magnification".

I have been reading up on scopes and experimenting not to fiddle with my existing scope's magnification. I'm pretty convinced I don't really need scope with variable power. Things become simpler and images become brighter (I can see better) with fixed lower power.

-TL

Last edited:

44caliberkid

I bought an old 4x at an auction for cheap. German name but made in the north east US. The German lens maker immigrated here. Can’t think of the name without going to look. I put it on my 458 SOCOM AR and it works great. I remember the auction manager saying , “You got a hell of a deal on that.” when I walked up to get it. I use scopes very little.

tangolima

Mounted the scope to rifle in .22lr and took to range to have it zeroed. It was the last rifle to shoot. I waited till the wind died down right before twinight. I was pleasantly surprised by the brightness and clarity of the target. Easily I started grouping 1" at 100yd. It may not be a big deal for folks here, but it is for me. I have been doing 1.5" to 2" with the previous scope, which is an vintage marlin 3-7x25mm. With magnification cranked up to 7x, I could barely make out the dim bullseye.

-TL

tangolima

I think I know why the scope is discontinued and cheap.

The turrets are supposed to be 1/4moa per click. They are actually 1/2moa per click. The reticle is supposed to be mil-dot. It is actually 8moa per dot. I guess they were installed with wrong parts in the factory in far East, so they ended up being sold on ebay for cheap.

I am going to keep the scope although I can return it for refund. Other than the above shortcomings it is doing pretty good. I just to remember all markings on the turrets need to multiply by 2. No problem for 22lr. $50 is still a deal.

-TL

Last edited: