First Target/Range pistol

'88Scrat

Hey guys, I was hoping you could help me out. I am looking to buy my first handgun that does not cost me a loan on the truck to take to the range but is bigger than a .22LR.

Presently all of the pistols I own are revolvers with the exception of a WW2 era 1911 and a Desert Eagle in .44 Mag. I am looking to buy something that is chambered for either 9mm or .40 S&W that I can pick up for under $700. Here is what I have narrowed it down to:

1. Ruger SR9
2. CZ-75b
3. Beretta 92A1 or 96A1
4. Springfield XD

I was hoping that you guys could give me your $0.02 and any advice you think might be relevent.

markdoddridge

Beretta and CZ are great guns if your into the metal frame thing, i would immediatly forget about the SR9. I honestly think you would be better served with a striker fired handgun, like the XD or a Glock

JWT

I prefer the CZ over the others on the list. It is metal and has a hammer and I like that.

That being said they're all good guns. Go to a range where you can rent and actually shoot all of them. Read some reviews, then make your selection.

As far as caliber keep in mind that 9mm is more affordable than .40 S&W.

lee n. field

I am looking to buy my first handgun that does not cost me a loan on the truck to take to the range but is bigger than a .22LR....either 9mm or .40 S&W that I can pick up for under $700. Here is what I have narrowed it down to:

1. Ruger SR9
2. CZ-75b
3. Beretta 92A1 or 96A1
4. Springfield XD

Goodness. That's about the most wide-open request for comment I've seen in a while. And, you're willing to spend enough to do it right.

Glocks are a good value, right in that price range.

You could conceivably get into a 9mm 1911, as well.

RC20

You have one SA/DA listed

Sig SP2022 is a spectacularly good value as well as extremely good functioning gun.

Cost around $400 sometimes with night sights with some waiting or shopping.

If not usually can get night sights for $450.

FairWarning

The SR9 is outclassed by all of your other options.

I'd get the XDM. Would have been an especially good deal if you had bought by Nov 2011 (in addition to the generous XDM kit with 3 mags, they would give you another 3 mags for free!). I'm still kicking myself for not picking up a XDM .45 before then. :mad:

Te Anau

Springfield XD is your best choice from those.Too bad you don't want an Arcus Hi-Power.....those are nice!

sigarms228

Have you actually tried to rent and fire any of those pistols?? If not I would suggest that so you can see what works best for you.

From your list I would say the Beretta easily.

However look around to see if you can find any SIG P226 CPO, Certified Pre Owned, as they are usually well under $700.

Adamantium

If you don't want a DA/SA gun, SR9 is the easy choice. The newer ones have the same trigger as the SR9c and it is the best of the Glock clones out of the box. It also has a frame mounted safety which I like.

If you want a metal framed DA/SA gun the Beretta is a good gun but I really don't like slide mounted safeties. Really they are about my least favorite thing on a gun. So I don't recommend them on that fact alone, but they are good guns otherwise.

pturner67

The XD is a good gun but I'm not a fan of the grip. I went to buy an XDm and ended up buying a S&W M&P.

I'm with JWT and sigarms228. Go fire the handguns and then make your decision. Feel is subjective.

Pilot

Hold a CZ, and if it fits you like it does me, and many others out there. BUY IT. There are many different variations of the CZ-75 platform. You may want to try an SP-01, P-01, PCR, 75B, etc. The 75B, and SP-01 are all steel, while the P-01, and PCR are compact, aluminum alloy framed for lighter weight, and ease of carry. They are still very accurate, hi-cap, and can perform as range guns, home defense, and concealed carry.

But remember the OP says target / range pistol.
The XD gear is not a bad deal. More mags will be needed and XD mags are found in more places than CZ. I had to special order my extra CZ mags because they were not so abundant like XD gear is.
Once the OP gets into practical shooting, IDPA, and or Steel & Paper Challenges, he will like the idea and ease of adding extra gear. The standard gear of the holster and magazine pouches isn't a bad start. Not sure if other brands offer the same deal. My CZ, Glock, and other pistol purchases did not offer the extra gear like the XD did.

shortwave

Of those, the Beretta would be my choice. But as suggested, you need to fondle your choices to see what suits YOU best.

DaveC11B

I have a CZ75BD and I love it. I prefer the decocker to the manual safety. Very accurate, extremely manageable recoil (9mm, steel frame) for a target gun.

checkmyswag

Why does it need to be bigger than 22LR?

I think for the vast majority of shooters, 22LR is the most reasonable thing to shoot on a regular basis at the range. Certainly not against owning/shooting other calibers, but really don't see how guys afford firing lots of expensive ammo at the range. I know some of you reload, still expensive.

Guess I'd rather shoot a 22LR a lot and use the money I save to buy some other nice guns in other calibers to occasionally shoot.

That being said, all 4 of the pistols you listed are usually considered highly.

So I guess, it comes down to what fits your hand best and what you shoot best.

Of that list I like the Ruger and Springfield but the other 2 are supposed to be good too.

'88Scrat

I have actually fired all of the guns I listed. I am leaning more towards the Beretta or the Springfield XD at this point. The SR9 is ok but its not quite big enough for my hand. I really liked the CZ but from the research I've done it seems that finding magazines/springs/alternate sights could be difficult.

'88Scrat

Just an update for anyone who cares.

I found a NIB Beretta M9A1 at a gunshow and picked it up for only $525. Added a TLR-1

Looking forward to going to the range.