First Rifle for my son

krsmart

i started out with a new england combo setup w/ a 22lr and a 410 barrell - dad liked that we could go rabbit hunting and target practice all in the same kit.....rossi also makes a nice setup like that

i recently picked up a used savage youth model with the accu-trigger...a $90 buy and a heck of a little shooter too!

preventec47

You're making a mistake if you dont start your kid out with a
bb gun or pellet gun. For one thing there are many upgrade
path options to keep him excited till he is 11 or 12. In fact
at 6 I would probably suggest one of those little plastic ball
guns called Airsoft.
Then another next birthday and then for age 8 a BB rifle.
another two years and step up to pellet rifle of increasing
quality.

If you buy a kid at 6 any kind of gunpowder gun you have
lost the opportunity for upgrades and continued excitement.

You wouldnt buy your kid a small motorcycle before you bought
him a bicycle would you ?

Same reason a kids first car needs to be a used beater.

JDG

Preventec47

Your right on part of your statement. I started my son on a .22 at 7yrs old, and now he only wants to shoot Barrett 50cals:D I do have him shooting my ARs, now, the Barrett oppertunities are not to common. I could always give him a 12ga to shoot, to give that recoil feel back to him. He's liking the 9mm AR platform, currently, but still loves that Savage 2lb trigger.
Aug25thShoot041.jpg

hodaka

When faced with the same choice for my daughter I went with a CZ Scout. Same action as a 452 but with a short stock and barrel and iron sights. Very accurate and has a 5 or 10 shot magazine. I think I paid a bit less than $200 for it but that was 10 or so years ago.

Yankee Traveler

The CZ Scout has some nice features. A single round round loading device (1 shot clip?) and available 5 or 10 shot clips. nice dimensions too. There is a CZ dealer near where I work, I will check it out. Lefty may be the only hitch.

spikey614

I started out with a Remington 22 Gallery Pump Action rifle at 10. I think that or the Cricket would be fine for a 6 year old. They too will take 22 Shorts & Lr's.