First Reloading Experience A Failure - Looking for Guidance to Find out Why

markr6754

Guys....all excellent advice. Makes this exactly the place I want to be on to learn and share experiences. I’ve implemented a number of these suggestions, and I’ve built up 5 different 10 round loads, all scaling up the powder by 0.2 gr, and with several COL variations. I’ve thoroughly cleaned and very lightly lubed my 92FS. As mentioned in a prior post, I removed and cleaned the extractor and spring, and decrudded the area under it.

The first 3 loads are with the Berry Plated RN, and the final 2 loads were by the book loads with Hornady XTP HPs...thank you Free Bullets offer. I plunk tested each load, including the XTPs. I discovered that I could not exceed the 1.075” specified C.O.L. or the round would catch in the barrel. I’ve never shot this bullet, but with 500 free from Hornady, and a suggestion to stick with a proven bullet/powder/load data combination, I decided to include it in my current testing.

I would say these are the most carefully weighed and measured rounds I’m capable of producing. I spent 3 hours producing 50 rounds...these are precise loads. I am anxious to fit in the range time, and hope to get there before the weekend.

Appreciate all the input and encouragement.

BTW, I am using a single stage press. Once I get these starting issues ironed out I will resume using the Hornady Lock and Load Powder Measure. I believe it to be extremely accurate since adding the Pistol Rotor, but I didn’t want any variables affecting these 5 build up loads.

kmw1954

Mark, now aren't you glad you took my advice and started a new thread?

Good luck at the range with those new test loads and I for one will be looking forward to hearing your results.

GeauxTide

Good evening and welcome to the reloading world. As you are just beginning this journey I would like to suggest that you stick with published loading data until you get to the point where your rounds are functioning as intended. Mixing data, substituting powder, etc. in the beginning doesn't help you understand the basic process, which is essentially problem definition and resolution
Sage advice.

603Country

I shoot 115 gr plated bullets over W231 in my Beretta. It won’t cycle unless the powder charge is stout enough. And, as I found out later, it won’t cycle when my wife shoots it while ‘limp wristing’. Going on memory, my powder charge is 4.8 gr, but don’t load anything based on my memory. Work up to it properly.

kmw1954 said:
It also needs to be understood that Plated bullets are NOT cast lead and they are Not Jacketed.

True. A sort of a caveat is that most people don't know the Speer Gold Dot bullets, like the one in the Hodgdon data, have plated jackets rather than the harder gilding metal cup jackets. A Speer Tech I was talking to about a couple of other matters happened to mention he had run the plating process himself and that the softer alloy jacket, while harder than lead and some other makes of plated bullets, has nonetheless meant that some Gold Dot loads are outside jacketed load data on the high side. But if you have the thick plated Berry's bullets, I expect the Gold Dot data to be compatible or very close to it.

kmw1954

Unclenick I too have discussed the Speer Gold Dot with others and was aware of what you state. From looking at load data from different sources I find that when I can find Berry's and the Speer listed with the same powder they have been very close charge wise but the pressures and speeds are a bit different. Again the wild card that throws a wrench in the works is the Berry's Hollow Base bullet.

So I don't tell people to use the Gold Dot Data because I don't want to start wars every time the subject comes up. Most people I know that are heavy users of plated bullets feel the same way.

Reloadron

First Reloading Experience A Failure - Looking for Guidance to Find out Why

Just as a side note, if you come away learning something I wouldn't call it a failure. :)

Ron

markr6754

I'm a giddy little schoolgirl tonight. I've returned from testing the loads I prepared so meticulously on Tuesday night. To repeat: Fiocchi brass, Berry 115 gr plated bullets, Winchester WSP primers, and Hodgdon HP-38 powder. Additionally, I loaded 20 rounds of Hornady 115 gr HP XTP.

Berry CP RN
10 rounds 4.5 gr, C.O.L. 1.140" - flawless
10 rounds 4.7 gr, C.O.L. 1.130" - flawless
10 rounds 4.9 gr, C.O.L. 1.125" - flawless

Hornady HP XTP
10 rounds 4.2 gr, C.O.L. 1.070" - flawless
10 rounds 4.4 gr, C.O.L. 1.075" - flawless

The key difference between failure and success - a thoroughly cleaned firearm, and a cleaned and de-crudded extractor and spring. As well as the lightest bit of lubrication I believe I've ever used on my Berretta.

However, I still need to test my original loads, which I failed to bring with me to the range. I had the 50 specifically loaded rounds for this test, without asking myself ahead of time..."but what if they fire beautifully?"

So I can say that the higher charges worked quite well for the Berry plated bullets, but the lightest loads remain to be tested.

On the other hand, the light loads for the XTPs worked just as beautifully. They also make a much prettier hole in the targets, which is to be expected given the price difference between the Hornady's and the Berry's.

Additional great news...Point Blank, my local gun shop and shooting range, offers a monthly unlimited pass for about $35...but provide a 50% discount to Military including veterans, as well as all first responders. Just something else to add incredible value to this new endeavor.

Stay tuned.

markr6754

KMW1954, what's your name, by the way?
You've been a great sage and advocate along the way. Naturally, I understand that all I've done at this point is successfully complete my first step on a life-long journey. Yes, getting this set as a separate post has been phenomenal. The comments, advice, guidance, chastising, it's all good. Much appreciate you getting me started right. I pray that I live long enough to gain wisdom and experience in this art form, and then pass it along to others as you have done. Maybe I'll just call you Obi Wan....or sensei!

black_hog_down

Find yourself an outdoor range that has at least a 100 yards. Doesn't take long before loading for handgun leads to loading for rifle.
I am lucky enough to have a range that I pay $150 annually and it has skeet, pistol and rifle lanes out to 300.
Ringing the gong at 300 is fun.

markr6754

Find yourself an outdoor range that has at least a 100 yards. Doesn't take long before loading for handgun leads to loading for rifle.
I am lucky enough to have a range that I pay $150 annually and it has skeet, pistol and rifle lanes out to 300.
Ringing the gong at 300 is fun.
Black Hog, sounds like a plan. I have enrolled in a CCW class for March, and it's held at a local park/gun club. I'll find out what membership runs. For now, I'm happy as can be having near unlimited shooting at a close by range for $17.49 a month. At this point, the budget can't handle two programs. You all know how much initial investment is required to get started in this lifestyle. I'm pushing $1,000 now, and still don't have everything I need for the hand gun cartridges I'm likely to load.