First hunt ever in October! Scope questions...

hooligan1

Vortex Diamondback, 4-12x40 AO, dont purchase any scope til you've checked out that dude..
289.00 I think is what Midway USA has them for... leaves plenty of cash for Luepold rings and bases... Then you'll have a serious deer rifle dude..;)

PetahW

Congrats, on getting drawn ! I wish you the best of luck on deer, too...... :p

FWIW - you can get the best bang for your buck ( ;) ), for just about any scope, by purchasing from an online/discount optics dealer.

I can heartily recommend www.swfa.com as good folks to deal with, that seem to have just about the lowest prices available on both new & used (many used scopes carry a lifetime warranty) scopes.

You can purchase from them in confidence - and keep a weekly eye on the swfa home page for heavily-discounted weekly "specials".

A few years ago, I was able to buy a pair of new Weaver variables for $150 each, and a new $750 Trijicon Safari scope for $399 that was "on special" - so I treated myself to the Trijicon that Christmas. :D

g.willikers

If you're going to be primarily using the setup for targets, then higher power is useful, for those small x rings.
Out in the field, it limits the angle of view and interferes with getting a second shot on a moving target.
Something to consider if you would ever need subsequent shots on a wounded and spooked animal.
A scope with tunnel vision is a hindrance.
A four power or so is probably plenty at acceptable distances for humane shots on the game mentioned.
If it's possible, check clarity and angle of view of the scope before buying one.

MarkCO

I prefer the 2-7s. A little lighter, and 9x is way more than you need until you pass 700 yards or so.

The Burris 2-7E1 or 2-7FFll are quality scopes, great glass, forever warranty and they have one of the fastest turnarounds for customer service. Not that you will need it, but you might want to change turrets or something, or drop it down a canyon, and need a quick repair.

CC268

Thanks for all the help! A lot of differing opinions and suggestions, but I will check some of them out

Mystro

The Leupold VX2 will put you in a higher level of scope and in 3x9, you will be very happy with it regardless what gun you put it on. Its just a higher end scope. Check out Opticsplanet.

doofus47

First of all, good luck on the hunt this fall.

My 2c suggestion for an entry scope is "kiss." Get a fixed 4x scope. It's light; it's cheap; it takes away any questions related to magnification; it will keep you within your effective range.

Good luck!