First hunt ever in October! Scope questions...

CC268

I got drawn this year for whitetail deer here in Arizona! It will be my first hunt (20 year old in college)! I am not new to shooting, but new to hunting so it should be fun. Just got my hunter education license today.

I am going to be getting a Savage Arms Hunter Model 11 in a .243 in the next few weeks. Thought about a .308 for a while, but the .243 allows me to target shoot a lot and not hurt my shoulder, hunt coyote without blowing them to shreds, and take some deer. I would like to get a decent scope ($200-$400) for deer/coyote/target shooting and was wondering what your recommendations would be.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Boomer58cal

Well first welcome and I'm glad to see you're getting in to the game. I'm sure you'll get many different recommendations from many different people, well here's mine.

For $200 I'd look at Redfield Revolution not revenge. Revolution scope is of a bit higher quality than their revenge scopes as they are made in the US instead of the Philippines. They have a lifetime warranty and are made in Oregon by Leupold.

Leupold VX-1 can be found for a bit more than the redfield.

Nikon also has several scopes in the $200 range that are excellent and have good Warranties. I have one on my AR and I bought one for my brothers AR. No complaints.

The Nikon Pro Hunter is a good scope that you can find under $400.

I have a Nikon Monarch 3 that is fantastic but they go for close to $500

I'd look for some things in the 2-7 or 3-9 range. Both of those will be plenty for any hunting range. Some here may tell you to get a fixed 4 power or something like that but with the quality of modern scopes I just don't see a reason to limit yourself.

Oh and the 243 is an excellent starter dear cartridge. Good for you and good luck.

Boomer

CC268

Awesome! Thanks for all the info, I will check all those out

I like that Leupold VX-1 3x9....around 250-300 depending on which model...the VX-2 is also in my price range!

Is $200-$400 enough for a scope or am I cheaping out?

Last edited:
No shortage of scopes out there. I suggest a 3-9x40. Midway USA has a flyer often showing reduced prices and it's worth taking a look. I don't have any loyalty. I use and have used Bushnell, Nikon, Redfield, Simmons, Burris and Leupold. Personally I think there is an over abundance of makers and models. It's likely you may be satisfied with any of them. I guess I don't help at all by pinning down a particular good one. If I had your rifle, I have no doubt I'd outfit it with one from any of my suggestions.

Mobuck

"As far as target shooting...would I be able to shoot 300-400 yards with a 3x9 scope? "
You "can shoot" 1000 yards with open sights. 9X is adequate for visually discerning your target at very long range. Don't worry that a 3-9x variable will provide all you need for target shooting at 400 yards.

CC268

Nikon Monarch or Monarch 3 are another two I am looking at...maybe I will go check them out in store or something, but thanks for the suggestions!

I was not expecting 300 or 400 yard shots when I suggested a 3-9. I had deer and coyote out to about 200 yards on my mind. Target shooting at such distances usually require a lot more scope than deer. Therefore I'd suggest looking at something like 3-14, 4-16 /18, or 6-24, somewhere in that ballpark. Low power for hunting closer up and high power for targets farther out. My experience suggests target scopes don't really make great hunting scopes for deer or coyote. In some cases you may not find your animal if the mag is turned up too much. And some lower power scopes really excel with light gathering technology that can often give deer hunters a low light condition advantage.

lefteye

With a $400 upper limit I suggest a Leupold VX3 2.5 X 8. I have its predecessor, the Vari-X III 2.5 X 8 on my .270, 7mm Rem Mag and .300 Win Mag. Based on my hunting experience with these scopes over the last 35 years I believe they are excellent scopes, very reliable, very accurate and a good value. This is not a criticism of other brands at comparable prices, nor is it a claim the Leupold VX3 is the best. More expensive scopes are generally better quality but the scope I suggest is a perfect fit for your situation. I have taken Pronghorn, Mule Deer and a very small Black Bear at 400 yards and beyond with the 2.5 X 8. I've taken Whitetail Deer, Elk and Coyotes at shorter ranges with these rifles and scopes. I carry the rifle with the scope set at 2.5 power. If I need more magnification, e.g., 8 power, the animal is far enough from me that I have time to adjust the scope to the higher power. If the animal is 400 yards away and moving too fast I don't shoot.

Last edited:

Revoltella

The Redfield Revolution is essentially the VX-1 with click turrets instead of friction.

For around $300, you can get a VX-2 3-9x40. That steps you up to a better tier.

The advice I got when I first started getting into bolt guns was "plan on spending as much, or more, on the glass as on the rifle". It was pretty good advice.

Boomer58cal

I have scopes in 2-7, 3-9, 3-12, 4-14 and 4-16. The higher magnification scopes are mainly for target shooting, but I'm one of those guys that does not shoot doe's and I like being able to identify my targets. The higher magnification of some of my scopes helps with target identification greatly.

That said I've never shot a deer on higher than 9 magnification. I generally shoot on 4 or 6 power.

$3-400 is plenty for a hunting scope, but I do love my monarch 3 4-16x40.

Boomer

CC268

I am thinking the VX-2 or Nikon Monarch or Monarch 3...I will have to decide which magnification, but I got some time

BigD_in_FL

you need to get a move-on so you can sight in and practice as well as scout for your quarry - time is short. Do not wait until the last minute to get your scope sighted in and not do any scouting prior to opening day.

Lots of good choices mentioned above, hard to go wrong for your usage.

Enjoy your first hunt, and remember the chase is the easy part.........

CC268

My buddy will be scouting...maybe I should just stick with a 3x9 for now..or 4x12...although 4x12's start to get out of my price range

taylorce1

With that budget you can fit into a lot of good quality scopes. Scopes for you to look at that are $400 or less:

Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14X40
Nikon Monarch 2.5-10Xx42
Leupold VX2 3-9X40
Leupold VX3 1.75-6X33
Leupold VX3 2.5-8X36
Burris E1 4.5-14X42
Burris E1 3-9X40
Sightron SII 3-9X42
Bushnell Elite 3-9X40
Vortex Viper 4-12X40
Vortex Viper 3-9X40
Vortex Viper 2.5-10X44

I left the VX1 scopes out because while I like them, with your budget I think there are better scopes out there to be had.

Check out "The Sample List" as well they have dealer demo and trade in optics sometimes you can find a great deal on a lightly used scope.

Boomer58cal

My buddy will bescouting...maybeI should just stick with a 3x9 for now..or 4x12...although 4x12's start to get out of my price range

Good choice there's a reason the 3-9 power is one the most popular scopes. You just don't need much more than that unless you're hunting flatlands.

Good luck please report back on what scope you get, how you like it and how your hunt goes.

Boomer

P.S. Remember to breathe when you see that first buck. Even the best of us can get buck fever. ;)

CC268

Okay so you guys think I should stick to a 3x9 for what I will be doing?

thanks for that list of scopes by the way!

ripnbst

Don't ignore Vortex scopes, they are top notch and getting rave reviews lately. Sight ton are strong as well. I'd advise checking out Opticsplanet.com open box and demo scopes. Lots of value can be had there but I understand your time is limited.

Nikon's scopes are great values as well. I don't think you can go wrong with any of Nikon or Vortex's scopes.

I'll agree stick with a 3-9x.

Last edited:

jmr40

I like that Leupold VX-1 3x9....around 250-300 depending on which model...the VX-2 is also in my price range!

If the VX-2 is in your price range buy it and don't look back. Most of the above recommendations are good scopes for the money. But the current production VX-2's are top notch and will be the only scope you'll ever need. You won't ever need to upgrade later.

Leupold upgraded their entire VX, 1,2, and 3 lineup a couple of years back. todays VX-1 and especially VX-2 are darn good scopes in any price range. I paid a little extra and got one with LRD reticle. It is every bit as good as my Zeiss Conquest that I paid $550 for.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x40-VX-2-Riflescope-P51800.aspx

bacardisteve

Zeiss terra 3-9x can be had for $400 if u shop around. Awesome scope for the money witj exceptional low light visibility and clarity.