First handgun you ever bought

John Lawson

When I was 22, way back in 1952, and about to go over to Korea with the Army, I bought a WW-I Army issue 1911 from a retired Colonel because there were no new commercial ones for sale in the entire city. Glad I bought it because not only did it save my life, but it showed me that it was a better fit for my hand than the 1911A1 configuration. (Long live that flat hammer spring housing with its natural pointing characteristic!)

Lavan

M10 S&W with a 6" bbl that I decided to
hacksaw down to 3". AND I almost got the
cut STRAIGHT. Finally had a gunsmith do
it and silver solder the sight back on.

loknload

In 1973 I purchased my first handgun it was a Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk .357 in SS
I could have gotten the 9mm cylinder for it but it would have had to go back to the factory. Since I wanted the gun for hunting I didn't do it and I regret not doing so. I understand that now it can't be done? Anyway that was my first gun and it has proved to be a very good hunting side arm as well as a target pistol on the range. Still have it and will never sell it. You never get over your first love.

Happy Holidays and Happy Shooting

------------------
Help Stamp Out Gun Ignorance.

[This message has been edited by loknload (edited December 21, 1999).]

SAWBONES

H&K P7M8, 1985.
Because it was (and is) the "best" 9mm pistol out there, IMNSHO.
Why 9 mm? I thought it was an overall-acceptable caliber (ease of shooting, accuracy, terminal ballistic effectiveness) for my novice status at the time.

------------------
"Potius sero quam nunquam."

Big George

It was 1959, I was fresh out of the Marine Corps and had become a Trooper with the Virginia State Police. The department suggested that we carry when off duty, but I sure didn't want to carry that 6" S&W model 10 around with me.

My dad was in the firearms business and he suggested that there was a new S&W 5 shot revolver with a 2" barrel called the "Chiefs Special" I bought the gun for $65 NIB. It was the most comfortable gun I've ever had...fit into a Bucheimer Snap Draw holster and could not be detected with a coat on.

I really like the old grips much better than the one's on the CS made today. AND, I think it blasphemy that the new automatic bears the same name...I don't give a damn how good it is!

Semper Fi! and thanks for asking, Brian...

Joe D

Ruger Super Blackhawk. I could not afford "Dirty Harry's".44. Great gun - took many deer with it, also did OK in IHMSA matches.

Mike in VA

Bought a SIG 228 upon my return to handguns in February 1998. I wanted it for self/home defense with an eye to CCW. I wanted reliability, accuracy, durability, (quality by any other name) and something I wouldn't out grow. I've added several additional SIGs, a couple of Berettas, an H&K, S&W m60, and a Kimber, but the 228 is still my first love. I've now got the 'I wants' for a Glock and a BHP. So many guns, so little time . . . M2

Bob Locke

I came late to handguns, but grew up around long guns.

My first (and only) handgun that I bought was a Sig Sauer P239 in 9mm. Got it two and a half years ago, and have pumped about 5,000 rounds through it since then. I jammed on me once, because I didn't know enough to clean and oil it before I shot it the first time.

I had a buddy give me an old Colt Detective Special, which I believe was a first edition as the ejector rod is not shrouded. That was a freebie, though, and is the only other handgun that I own. For now. Am looking at a couple of .45 ACP's and am leaning toward the Ruger P97 right now for a couple of reasons, primary of which is my wife (that means $$).

tatters

Mine was a new Phoenix Arms HP-22. I still have it. July of 1995 right before an NTC rotation while I was a Cav Scout at Ft Hood. Put it in lay-away at the pawn shop down the street 'till I got back in about 30 days. Paid 99.95. A great little gun for the first time semi-auto owner.

------------------
So many a'holes-- so few bullets!------
Ford Fairlane :D

Kernel

The worlds first "Wonder Nine"... the Smith & Wesson Model 59. At the behest of my Platoon Sargent, in 1983 I bought a used M59 at pawn shop in Downers Grove, Tx. I was a lowly E-3 Cavalry Scout in the 4/9 Cav of the 6th Cav Brigade (Air Combat) at Ft. Hood, Tx. Since I got stuck with a M-60 when I first got to Hood, Sarge said I should get a 9mm for a personal sidearm. If the SHTF my 60 would end up on a bunjee cord in the door of an OH-58 and I'd be sans firearm since our unit didn't issue sidearms to enlisted men even though the TO&E said I was supose to have a 1911A1 (all the flight officers were issued old POS .38Spls). The whole time I was at Ft. Hood I kept that M59 in my wall locker, the kicker was we were not authorized to keep personal firearms on post, had it been discovered it'd gotten an instant Article 15. Typical Army "Catch-22" logic. -- Kernel

eagleye

I bought a Colt Frontier Scout 62 22LR in 1965 put a lot of rounds through it. I still have it. I think I paid $65.00 for it.

[This message has been edited by eagleye (edited December 21, 1999).]

dk6

My first purchase was a brushed nickle Colt Commander in .38 super in 1972. Still have it along with one in blue steel and a govt. model early 1950 vintage. That brushed nickle
finish looked so good to a 22 year old wide eyed boy.

Jene

Ahhhh..... boy do I wish I still had my first one. Was issued a S&W model 64 for work. Seeing as I was only 19 at the time, I could not purchase on off duty gun at a store. One of my fellow officers sold me his Browning HiPower 9mm, Belgian made. Got rid of it years later.... for good reasons.... but boy do I miss it. What a great gun.

------------------

Fourdiamonds

Ruger single six, which I sold cause I blew a hole in my foot with it. No, not the guns fault but I still sold it. What should have happened is somebody should have pistolwhipped me for being so GD dumb!!!

------------------
From my cold dead hands.

denfoote

The first handgun that I ever bought was a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 mag. I still wish that I had that gun today. My ex got it in the divorce. :( :(

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Greetings all. The first handgun I ever purchased was a Star Model B in 9mm. I lived in a very rough area and wanted a personal defense weapon. It was the very best that I could afford at the time. Best.

DeadinNC

I really bought 2 handguns at one time the week after I turned 21. One was a Berreta Centurnion in 9mm and the other was a Glock 22 in 40 S&W. I just wish I had thought about it then as I have spent a great deal of money on other guns and always gone back to the Glock. They just shoot anything I feed them and point really good for me. Sorry for the ramble the current carry gun is a Glock 23 with night sights and 155gr Winchester Silvertips.

Mike

------------------
Be safe and stay in the Black