First handgun suggestions?

marine6680

All we can do is give a few suggestions to let her try out. It is up to her to pick one that handles well, she can shoot accurately, and carry.

A short list:
Shield
LC9
SCCY
Bersa
PPS
XDs
Nano

Most of those are single stack with around 6-7 round capacity, the SCCY holds 10, not sure about the Bersa 9s. Most have enough length for me to hold with all fingers, usually by way of a finger extension on the mag.

Someone mentioned the Sig 250... That comes in a kit with sub compact and full size frame for a good price. The new striker fired Sig looks to be based on the same frame, so I would bet it will also have a kit available, if striker fired is more her speed. So there is that option and similar sized pistols from other makers if that size works for her.

mrdaputer

Another vote for the Walther PPS. Go the the nearest gun shop that rents pistols. The one that feels the best and shoots the best is the one you take home.

Waspinator

Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact 9mm.

Not real small, not real big. Metal framed, so it soaks up recoil (wieghs about the same as a Ruger SP101). Haven't had one failure with it yet. Pretty acurate as well. It is a DA/SA pistol, don't know if that is something she would be intersted in? Has a safety, decocker (so it carries like a revolver.. fist shot DA) and slide lock that are all well placed and easy to manipulate. The slide is extreamly easy to rack.

Best part is the take down for cleaning, which you mentioned was a consideration. You just flip a lever 90 degrees and it comes apart. No pulling the rack to line up notches, no removing any pins, no having to pull the trigger while releasing the slide.. nothing. Just drop the mag, flip the lever and it slides right apart for cleaning. to put it back together, just slide it back together and flip the lever back up.

If it at the rental counter, I would say that one should be on your list.

RockDTMC

I would highly suggest that she check out a CZ 75 Compact PCR. It has an alloy frame so it's lighter than the standard compact and it shoots like a dream. Of all of my handguns my wife likes and shoots my PCR the best. She's small and it fits her hand perfectly.

Madcap_Magician

If the single-stack 9mm is going to be the thing, then the Kahr K9 is a fine gun.

Other choices would include the Bersa BP9CC if you are on a tighter budget. The Ruger LC9 is a little more expensive. The M&P Shield or Walther PPS is a very good deal. The XDs in 9mm is a bit more expensive.

DW .45

The Shield and PPS have my vote. Don't get something big (thick) like the Glock 19. Women are not going to adjust their attire around their ccw 9 times outta 10. She will end up leaving it at home or in the car more than not.

JimmyR

Chris, if she lives in Louisville like you do, take her to TG&G- indoor range with a nice variety of handgun rentals. Bring plenty of ammo and a $50 bill, let her rent a few and try them out.

B.N.Real

Shield and the PPS.

PPS has the edge as far as concealibility but the Shield is cheaper by far and a very solid handgun.

Also, PPS has no manual safety and the Shield has a manual safety if that matters to you.

Both guns have owners who steadfastly support each gun.