First handgun suggestions?

chris in va

My Girlfriend's 25yo daughter recently decided she needs to get her CC permit and asked to try out my (limited) collection. She liked my Kahr K9 the best and made it very clear to me "no pink guns because I don't want the BG to think its a toy".:p

She wants something that is a compact size but not so small she can't get all three fingers on the grip. We are planning to rent a few next range trip so she can find the right one, but I'd like to get some suggestions from the peanut gallery.

I told her about the Kahr CW9, so perhaps a similar gun that is easier to take apart? I also think she settled on 9mm so no 380's.

chris in va

I am aware of the site and will send her the link.

She's not new to guns, so just need to get rental suggestions on the latest crop of compact pistols.

Spats McGee

Administrator
I don't know alot about the really small 9s, but it seems to me like the Shield and LC9 are two obvious competitors that should be included in the mix, if she can rent them to try out.

ETA: XDs 9, perhaps.

pilpens

Kahr K9 is a very nice CC pistol.
I have big hands and my GF has small hands and we both like the K9 for CC. The K9 is reliable, accurate, and easy to control. It is too big/heavy for pocket carry but easy to CC IWB.
The K9 I carry was a police trade-in which originally had the long trigger pull. For $30+, it now has the shorter trigger pull.
My Primary CC used to be a Sig P6, then a Walther P99, now the K9.
===========
I have shot the CW9 a few times. It is just slightly thinner and lighter than the K9. It is OK but the K9 just feels better in my hands and since it is carried on the waist, I do not see the small difference in weight to be a negative for the K9.
In some forums on the net, you might find some threads about stovepipe issues with the CW9. The K9 though very similar to the CW does not seem to have the issue. I have shot a few rounds through 3 CW9s and all have been reliable.
===========

chris in va

More than likely this will be a purse and nightstand gun, if that helps any. She likes the K9 but indicated it might be a bit heavy.

Of course she liked my CZ P01 the best.:cool:

ClydeFrog

If it were me....

1st, Id say that you can't decide or pick "the best" for someone else.
It's sounds like your plan(s) for her to rent/shoot a few models is smart. :D
That said, Id advise she look at the SIG P250 9x19. She could carry the sub-compact then at the end of the day, convert the fire control system to a compact or full size then add a white-light or laser aimer. ;)
The 250s won't break the bank & are safe. She can avoid the bogus "you shot by mistake" claims or "she cocked the hammer & screamed threats".
:rolleyes: All she would need is the extra frames which can be hard to buy but easy to switch.
If the SIG P250 format isn't her speed, a Glock 36 .45acp, a SIG P290RS 9mm, a HK P2000sk LEM(the DA only law enforcement modification), a SIG P239 SAS/DAK in .40 or 9x19mm, a Bersa Compact Carry 9mm, a Kahr CM9 or CM40.

Id also tell her to add 3 dot night sights like the top rated Trijicon HDs & to only use factory made high quality ammunition. No hand-loads or reloads.

vkeith

If you can, rent a Taurus PT709 Slim. They're not for everyone because it is a Taurus and it's small, but it has a better trigger than some of the other ultra-compact 9mm pistols, it's reasonably priced, and the recoil is not too bad considering how small it is.

When my wife was shopping for a compact 9mm, she looked at several brands and chose the Taurus because of it's size and because it had a better trigger feel than the others she was considering (Diamondback DB9, Ruger LC9, Keltec PF-9).

My wife's has been reliable so far, but we've not put that many rounds through it yet. It also has restrike capability if that means anything to her.

CWKahrFan

My CW9 has run 100% reliable since out-of-box... No stovepipes at all... Great size and weight... Impressive accuracy.

SHE3PDOG

The Glock 26 is a pretty decent and affordable option along with the Shield and LC9. If she wants to spend a little more, the Sig P239 and P250 are really good options as well. I can't fit 3 fingers on most of thos guns, but my wife can.

BigJimP

I would certainly include the Sig 239 .../ and a smaller 1911 in 9mm, if they have one...(mine is a Kimber Tactical Pro II model, 4" barrel, alloy frame in 9mm)...

( I have granddaughters from 10 - 19 ) and they like shooting both of them...( and they like S&W K frame revolvers in 2 1/2" or 4" barrels like the model 19's or 66's )....with .38 spl's ...

Xfire68

My GF bought a Ruger SR9c and was not happy with it or as she puts it "I have not bonded with it". She has small hands and had issues racking the slide. She has no problems racking the slide on my full sized Glock 20. She is now looking at the Glock 23.

igolfat8

Have you considered joining a local sportsman's club? Many times you can shoot other members pistols for free and most are more than willing to help you. It can be less expensive than renting at a range plus you get to meet some really nice folks who share similar interests.