First CCW purchase, any problems?

Bellasogno

OP here. Wow!! Thanks for all of the quick replies!!

I learned very quickly firearms are like anything else - very personal. That's why I was only looking for any reasons why I shouldn't buy this gun, and from what I've read in your replies, I see none.

Thanks for the hearty welcomes! I do appreciate that!

Guns I have now:

12 ga. shotgun, pump J.C. Higgins - Sears Roebuck (inherited)
32 pistol "Secret Service Special" (inherited)
Gammo air rifle (my purchase - had a gopher problem) fun gun in it's own right

Last edited:

Pud

Welcome to the forum Bellasogno!

Just wanted to say, I'm not really familiar with your choice of pistol....But I CAN say I have two Rugers, and both have been EXCELLENT pieces!
I have a P97DC .45 that is about 10 years old, and is STILL the most accurate best shooting pistol I have....And I have just about all the major "brand" names in my group of toys.
Also, everyone who has ever had to deal with Rugers warranty/service, have nothing but praise on how they were treated.
So, as far as the Ruger brand, I'm sure whatever model you get, you will be happy with.
Anyone who say's " ruger semi autos aren't known for their reliability over all"
does not have a clue about what he is talking about!:confused:
Best to you in your purchase, WHATEVER you get!:)

Pud

spclPatrolGroup

I think the older P series ruger pistols gave them a bad name. While I do not own a Ruger semi auto pistol I am sure they are fine. When purchasing for CCW the main thing is to think of how you will be concealing, OWB, IWB, Pocket, Ankle, Fanny Pack (Murse). If you want to pocket carry and get a gun too big to fit in your pocket, or heavy gun to strap to your ankle, you will probably not carry as often. If your going OWB, IWB, Murse, than something like the Ruger you are looking at would be a decent choice.

I wouldn't dwell too much on what your first CCW is. Trading your used for another model in similar shape is pretty easy and you will probably end up with quite a few in the long run.

I think rugers are pretty reliable and so do most others I talk to. Many think they are a bit Chunky as another poster said.
I personally probably wouldn't choose an SR9 to carry b/c it isn't all that small, but alot of guys are packing full size guns. I had a buddy who packed a S&W 99 for 2 years and though it was great.

Skadoosh

What ever you do buy as your CCW, make sure you get a good holster for it, that it runs reliably with your chosen carry ammo and that you practice with it often. This should include drawing from the holster ... as well strong and weak-hand shooting.

WVsig

As most have noted a CCW is a very personal choice. There is no one size fits all.

The Ruger if it fits your hands and fits your needs should serve you well. Get a good holster and a good gun belt and you should be fine. Shoot one even if it is a rental before you buy. Ruger has a very good customer service rep. Some of their most recent offering had early recalls but they took care of the customer and where very quick to resolve the issues.

For example the orginal full sized SR had a recall early in its production.

When purchasing for CCW the main thing is to think of how you will be concealing, OWB, IWB, Pocket, Ankle, Fanny Pack (Murse).
I disagree most strongly with this idea. The main factors should be reliability, accuracy, and power. It is a weapon, first and foremost. Regardless of how easy it might be to carry, it must fulfill its primary role first.

I see many people buying mouse guns based on how "easy" they are to carry, only to find out that they're picky about ammunition and hard to shoot well. Neither of those criteria are acceptable in a weapon to which I'd be trusting my life.

The trick is to be able to balance those two factors.

shortwave

The trick is to balance those two factors

Absolutely!

The 1st and most important qualification for a SD weapon is reliability. Followed by accuracy and power.

Might as well carry a pocket knife if your ccw is not reliable.

BigJimP

Welcome...

I'm not sure why you were leaning towards the Ruger ...budget, someones recommendation, etc ....but I would seriously recommend you shoot a lot of guns before you buy ....and figure out the pros and cons ....to grip angle, controls, differences in triggers, finishes, etc ....

There are a lot of mfg's out there ...and a lot of options within each mfg...and picking a gun comes down to what fits your hands the best ( so yes, its personal) ...

Look at as many guns as you can ....both new and used ....and see what the trends are on cost. Cost in the used market will tell you a lot of things ...maybe durability / or popularity ...how long the models been around ...calibers ...etc ...

I was at my local range the other day ...and I had 4 different 1911's with me...and I heard a converstation behind me / guy in next lane was mentioning that I was shooting a .45 acp ( when I was really shooting a pair of 1911's in 9mm, one in .40S&W and one in .45acp ) ...and when he said it, I was shooting a 5" in 9mm... and I also heard him say they looked like Kimbers ...when one was a Baer and three were Wilsons... / so I made it part of my day to ask how they were doing / asking what they were shooting / and after they asked - gave them some info on what I was shooting. The "experienced guy" in the group had no idea 1911's came in anything other than .45 acp ...

I helped them understand why I had 4 different guns ...different barrel lengths, different options on the guns ...the course of fire I was shooting with a time ...and why ..../ and let them put a few rounds thru my guns - so they could get some idea of what else is out there.../ not that what I shoot or choose to own is better ...its just different ...for different reasons.

Roland Thunder

I think the SR9c is an excellent choice. IMHO the SR9 and SR9c are a couple of the best guns on the marketfor the money. My first gun was an SR9 and I loved it. It shot accurately, had a nice trigger pull and felt great in my hand. I probably would have gotten an SR9c instead of the SR9 had the 9c been a little smaller.

Warning: purchasing handguns is addictive. It will probably be just a matter of time before you have to have another one.

Colvin

It depends on where you plan to put it. If you go for an inside the pants holster, you can get anything you want.

I like the Sig Sauer C3 1911 for small(ish) size. Great gun. I'm a .45 man myself, so I suppose I have a bias.

You seem to be on the way to becoming a full on firearm enthusiast- that's good and bad. If your ONLY wish is to have a good CCW weapon, then anything reliable will suit you. Once you get into gun collecting, however, you'll only want the best; you'll continue to search.