First Black Powder Revolver Suggestions

RC20 said:
Danged if my wife did not come with a BP pistol, I still have it but have never shot it. Made in Italy, Ami something or the other location. 44 cal, no idea who the mfg is, kind of rusty (BP does that though its sat in dark places since the 70s)
Armi San Marcos?

Road_Clam

Anyone have issues with the Pietta 1858 Rem arbor allowing post shot carbon debris to enter the arbor to cylinder fit and incrementally cause the cylinder to bind ? I've tried everything including lathe machining some lubrication grooves in the shaft, and while the shaft mod helped , I still get cylinder binding after about 12 shots fired ?

armoredman

The "1858" Remington New Model Army doesn't have an arbor - it has a cylinder pin.
Questions - what lube are you using with your loads? That gets in there with the fouling and helps keep it soft. Also, my favorite solution is Bore Butter on the cylinder pin. Really keeps fouling soft. The other option is extremely simple with the NMA - drop the cylinder every three rounds of shooting and grease up the cylinder pin with BB or some other lubrication, considering how easy it is to take the cylinder out.

Road_Clam

armoredman said:
The "1858" Remington New Model Army doesn't have an arbor - it has a cylinder pin.
Questions - what lube are you using with your loads? That gets in there with the fouling and helps keep it soft. Also, my favorite solution is Bore Butter on the cylinder pin. Really keeps fouling soft. The other option is extremely simple with the NMA - drop the cylinder every three rounds of shooting and grease up the cylinder pin with BB or some other lubrication, considering how easy it is to take the cylinder out.

Im using a 50/50 mix of Crisco and Bore Butter . I also tried lubing the pin with my Bull Shop NASA bullet lube . Nothing seems to help. Real annoying problem having to disassemble , clean , lube and reassemble after only a dozen or so shots.

RC20

"Armi San Paolo "

Yes, 44 Caliber New Army and it seems to be a well made gun with smooth action along the lines of a S&W.

Just for &^% and giggles I am tempted. I have some balls stashed for it (from my wife). I would just need powder and primers.

I might just load one at a time and skip the goop in the ends of the cylinder with multiple rounds.

Doc Hoy

I respectfully ask that you don't crucify me but...

I swore off bore butter some years ago because:

a) It does not stand up well to heat.
b) It smells like a brothel in Pascagoula, Mississippi.

I made up my own bullet lube and patch lube using lard and beeswax. I vary the proportions depending upon its final purpose.

Okay. Here are the nails and cross. Let the crucifixion begin.

bobn

as a former axle grease user (not proud of it) i think i might give high temp brake caliper grease a try. doesnt run, stink, and stays put....hmm

armoredman

Doc Hoy said:
b) It smells like a brothel in Pascagoula, Mississippi.
I've been to brothels in the Philippines, Korea, and other, less sordid, places, but never Pascagoula...that must be an interesting place, indeed. I do have to say the smell of BB never bothers me, as COVID took my sense of smell back in 2019, and it only seems to return right when my dog is doing his business.

Nodak1858

Last couple of times i took mine out I skipped greasing the chambers or using wads. Really didn't notice much of a difference clean up wise or performance wise.

Doc Hoy

IMHO

ASP had a better reputation for smoothness and reliability. I think (but have not confirmed) the the internal parts are harder than ASM. I own probably four times as many ASMs as ASPs and I they are fine. I just think that the action on my ASPs inspire more confidence.

Photos are of an 1858 which I acquired as a junker. I shortened the barrel and loading lever and made a sight and lever catch. Blued the pistol. The grips are Elk antler sheds given to me by a kind sole on this form. I did this work about 15 years ago. It was my first attempt at cold bluing.

Attachments

• ASP b.jpg
    ASP b.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 47
  • ASP a.jpg
    ASP a.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 46

RC20

Thank you. I had not given her pistol any thought until I saw the topic in this section.

Confirms my feel on her gun that its a pretty decent quality one from the feel of the action.

I suspect I will look for caps and powder and try it out this summer. I can't say I gave the first one any chance, just messy.

Anyone know if the people back in the day actually put grease over the bullets? I just don't see that as viable in a dusty or wind blown environment.

I have noted the shaved lead ring if the balls she bought are large enough.

Probably single load rather than the goop. Or load 3 with chamber skip.

Doc Hoy

I shot without greasing the chambers...

... for about three years, and I never had a chain fire. The only chain fire I have ever had was on a C.O.M. 1851 Sheriff (when I was still greasing chambers). This event occurred not at the front of the cylinder but at the nipple end. Loose fitting cap lit off the next chamber. Pulled the arbor loose (brass frame).

...and thanks .44CK.

Last edited:

BillM

Late to the party as usual---but if the OP hasn't decided on model to buy yet
I'll toss out a suggestion. 1861 Navy. All the "advancements" of the '60 Army
in a 36 cal.

Doc Hoy

I had forgotten but...

... Euroarms, a highly regarded importer/manufacturer, was functionally synonymous with ASP. I have a Rodgers and Spencer in .44 from Euroarms. I like it. Fit and finish are top drawer. Smooth action.

Last edited:

Doc Hoy

Honorable Hawg!

Trust you to come up with additional details.

My R and S has an AF date code (1980). No DGG marking and the maker is Euroarms America. The importer is Hawes Firearms in LA Calif. The frame is marked with Utica NY and I think that is an attempt to mimmick the original since Rodgers and Spencer operated in Willowvale, NY, a close suburb of Utica. I might note that the finish on this Rodgers and Spencer (frame) is a barely perceptible blood red tint to the bluing.

I have a Sheriff Model 1851 Colt from ASP with the DGG emblem but no Euroarms marking. Date Code is XXX or 1974.

I cannot find the actual first operation date of the Concesio manufacturing plant. Concesio (roughly translating to "concession" or "concession place") is an industrial section of Brescia.

Last edited:

Ricklin

Hawes

Hawes was a big outfit, relatively. They also imported a line of SAA look alikes from JP Sauer and Sohn.. Sold a darn near mint one in .357 to my little brother, he loves it. Had a heck of a time getting the Cyl. base pin out. Plenty of time and Kroil did not budge it. Rather than full disassembly to knock it out I used a pair of electronic nippers to gently lift the pin by closing the jaws, worked perfectly W/O marring the frame.