first aid training for gun shot wounds and similar injuries

Thoughts on the sulfa-powder our medics of WW 2 used? Not advocating its return in light of penicillin, but I'm ignorant on such matters.

JohnKSa

Administrator
There are a lot of organisms that are resistant now.

3-8% of the population is allergic to them and there can be some fairly serious side effects for some folks.

Probably better options available now.

davidsog

Re bleeding: I had a surgery professor who loved to intone "Significant bleeding is that which you can hear." In administering first aid, you don't need to stop all bleeding; you want to concentrate on stopping pulsatile bleeding that is emptying out your patient. Tourniquets, pressure points, and compression are the way to do that. You don't have to stop it, just reduce it to survivable levels. If you have a pulsing bleeder, those powders and such are going to be carried away. Pressure, control it, reduce it to something survivable. Get them to the OR with a pulse.

Tourniquets on extremities. Wound pack junctional bleeding. Seal abdomen and/or chest

Yep. Kerlix is your friend. 8 Packs stuffed hard into the wound with a good pressure dressing will bring a femoral artery puncture to a survivable level provided you meet the golden hour.

https://quadmed.com/kerlix-bandage-rolls/

Mannlicher

I always have a basic trauma kit in my truck, but I am no medic. Hopefully someone at the range (or where ever) will know what to do with the stuff