Firing rate of a semi

Merad

Shouldn't be that hard to determine the cyclic rate of a gun.... assuming you have access to a high speed camera. :)

AlBundy

@MikeIrwin - Alright, ya got me. Long night last night, my math wasn't at its best. The point was that you would run out of ammo pretty quick. If I had a Glock 18 it would take 4 seconds because I wouldn't just dump a mag that fast, I would do long bursts, so HA!

DBLAction454

Mr. Meyer you have given me and idea and made me pull out my calculator :D

Considering your question I analyzed this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ax8VRhUtks&feature=related

Glock 30 firing 12 shots at 600 frames per second (FPS). In a slow motion video you want to fire as fast as you can as to use less film. The resulting film is played at 30 frames per second which is the standard speed for all movies.

It takes this man roughly 46 seconds played at 30FPS but filmed at 600FPS to fire 12 shots so...

46sec X 30 fps (normal time) = 1380 frames

Then divide by 600 to get how much time he actually was pulling the trigger so... 1380 frames / 600 fps = 2.3 seconds

Then divide number of shots by 2.3 to get and average shots per second so...
12shots / 2.3sec = 5.217shots per second

at this rate, if the man could do this continuosly this for a full minute his rate of fire would be roughly 5.217 x 60 = 313 rounds per minute...

Now you can see in the video how much "time" there is that the gun is locked into battery and ready to fire again but humans are not as fast as the machines we build sometimes ;)

Hope this kind of gave you a perspective!

Last edited:

Glenn E. Meyer

Thanks. For some stupid reason, I watch a trailer for some Underworld vampire movie and the vamps used guns but were superfast. I was wondering if they couldn't get full auto (NICS, NFA - doesn't work for vamps), how fast they could pull the trigger before hitting a mechanical gun limit.

GEM