Finally!

std7mag

Yeah, i've seen the Youtube videos where it looks like a handfull of metal shavings in the threads. And on a brand new rifle no less.

Nothing a good cleaning and a lathe can't fix..
Now i just need to get a lathe... ;)

Gun shop closer to Pittsburgh doing builds off of Spanish Mausers, claims old barrels make good rebar for pouring concrete.

Course i might do same with his "builds". Close and lock bolt and thing flops around. No thanks.

FrankenMauser

Course i might do same with his "builds". Close and lock bolt and thing flops around. No thanks.
That's because he's using Spanish Mausers.

His world is upside down.
The Spaniards have pretty decent barrels.
...But crap receivers. If they work at all (sloppy milling), they're ticking time bombs with cartridges over about 50k psi.

std7mag

For what they are, he's asking stupid money for them too.

Heck i think a large part of the issue is s/n on bolt & receiver don't match.

He proudly proclaims himself a smith. I don't buy guns there. Just don't trust his work. Or that he may have worked on another rifle/pistol.

FrankenMauser

I hate Spanish Mausers, but the bolt and action serial numbers not matching does not matter.
Tell that to the pile of bolts, bolt parts, trigger parts, and actions in my stash (mostly barreled).
Headspace is all over the place, and fitment is extremely varied.
Even if I can find a bolt that passes a "Field" gauge test (let alone a "No-Go"...), it is close to impossible to find a safety, sear, striker, bolt shroud, and cocking piece that will get along with that bolt as intended.
They may have been production rifles built, ostensibly, as having "interchangeable" parts. ...But the reality is that they're all hand-fitted basket cases - especially the 1893s that were scrubbed and converted to 1916s.

The headspace issues can be avoided, to some extent, with a custom rifle that has a new barrel. But the sear, striker, cocking piece, bolt shroud, and safety issues still remain...

reynolds357

FrankenMauser,
As I said, non matching serial numbers do not matter for a custom build. I did not say the bolt could be different, I said the serial numbers do not have to match. I did not say you could use parts to build out a bolt that will not fit the bolt properly. I said serial numbers do not have to match. I don't care about headspace because I will establish headspace when when I cut the chamber. I always blueprint every production action I use.

taylorce1

I have no dog in the Spanish Mauser fight except I have one in .300 Savage. A commercial bolt shroud would be nice but I don't have a trigger with a safety built in like I did on the M96 sporter with commercial bolt shroud I gave to Hooligan1. I have replaced the trigger with a Bold, Dayton Traister speed lock kit and Wolff spring so most all the things mentioned are new and tight. Locks up nice and I don't hot rod it, but I'm still tempted to make it a .50 calbier Muzzle loader and use a .45 ACP primed case as the ignition source.

zp6kgPt.jpg

kYNpxh1.jpg

EtJoCRp.jpg

nFM9cHJ.jpg

RruFWkw.jpg

std7mag

That is some gorgeous wood!!

Waiting for the appraiser to come this week. Planning on selling the house.
Wanna be my new neighbor? ::D:

Don't tell me you still have grass there???