Finally starting my first AR build

FtrPilot

Congrats & Well done!

Are you making plans for your next one?

Anything you plan to do differently on your next one?

Regards,
FtrPilot

Brotherbadger

How well does the crayon hold up? Just warm the metal and rub it in or can you just "color" it in with alot of pressure?

You can just color it with a lot of pressure if you want. I did that, then heated it up a little bit so the color would fill evenly in some spots. It's not an exact science. As for holding up, I've only had it in mine for about 8 months, but so far no problems. If it starts to chip out for some reason, i'll just add a little more color.

USMC 77-81

For tight pins and such try putting them in the freezer or outside if cold enough and put the receiver inside by a heater vent or out in the sun if warm, could provide enough contraction/expansion. I've used that method for numerous bearings/seals and such.

markm_04

It is addicting once you put one together, watch out! I dont even have this one to a complete rifle yet and I am already thinking about starting another lower reciever.

I met a buddy of mine at my parents farm last week so we could shoot. He brought his Stag Arms AR15 and we shot it quite a bit. Then I figured why not test fire my lower. Took his upper put it on my lower, good to go. Everything met up fairly nice.

First shot was fine, second and third shots were fine the gun was functioning with not problems. Went to pull the trigger on what I thought was the fourth round and the trigger was completely locked up, would not move. Tried pulling the charging handle back and it would only go about half way, enough to see that there was a case in the chamber. Obviously I assumed it was still an unfired case, put the gun on safe and tried the charging handle again but did not budge. I was somewhat frustrated and decided to take the upper off and inspect. Took the upper off and again pulled back on the charging handle and it ejected the fired case. I was a little relieved when I saw that the round had been fired and was not a squib as the barrel was not blocked, Whew! So upon inspection I found that the buffer retainer and spring were lodged beneath the hammer and wrapped up in the trigger assembly. I didnt think to take a picture at the time as I was to concerned with getting the buffer retainer pin out of its current position beneath the hammer (that is why the trigger was completely locked up).

Anyway after a couple of rounds and a few minutes my day of shooting my lower was done and now I have one mangled spring and a bent buffer retainer that will be replaced.
yga2e4at.jpg

I am glad I had the knowledge to be able to take it apart and diagnos the problem and to be able to get it fixed easily. That is one of the reasons I wanted to assemble the lower myself, in order to gain that knowledge and understanding of the firearm. Sorry for the long post but felt I should discuss my experiences with my first assembly.