Finally starting my first AR build

markm_04

I finally got my PSA lower reciever home and the next day I recieved the Enhanced Lower Parts Kit that I ordered from PSA. I have heard mixed reviews about their shipping times, but I have to say that I am quite pleased. I ordered and recieved my kit in just over a week. I bought the kit while it was on sale, which I am glad I did, I see that the price has gone back up now. I ordered the Enhanced Kit which includes the buttstock and pistol grip. I do have intentions of swapping them out for Magpul furniture in the future but for the price, with everything included, I didnt think this kit could be beat. So far I have no big complaints, although I kind of expected to have some sort of installation instructions included with the kit but the guide at ar15.com explains everything very well.

u6e6ymy4.jpg

I started putting a few parts on my lower last night and found the roll pins for the bolt catch and trigger guard to be VERY tight. Maybe I am being too gentle but I dont want to scratch up the reciever. Any suggestions on getting the tight roll pins in place without causing any damage?

markm_04

I had thought of that, just didnt want to make it to where they werent still pretty snug when I inserted them.

FtrPilot, did you use regular steel punches to insert the roll pins?

FtrPilot

I used needle nose pliers to squeeze one end of the roll pin closed.

I then used channel lock pliers to install the roll pins, most of the way....all but the last 1/32. I then used a steel punch to tap the roll pin the rest of the way in.

I put electrical tape on the channel lock pliers, to protect the lower receiver.

I put Black Gorilla tape on the lower receiver, around the area I was working on...to protect against scratches.

Here is a link to my lower build thread.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540428

Hope this helps.

FtrPilot

markm_04

Thanks for the advice so far. I did squeeze the roll pin for the bolt catch closed a little more and it started in a little easier. I couldnt find anyone that carries brass punches around here so I will try using the channel locks wrapped with tape and I also bought some cheap 3/32" drill bits that I might use to put the final touch on the roll pins.

diablo508

to put it together you really need these things:

1. Vice
2. Vice mag-well block
3. Masking tape (can go without, but protects finish)
4. Small Brass Hammer
5. Roll pin punches
6 Razor blade!!!! (trust me helps out big time with the front takedown pin detent)

get on You-tube and follow along with someone that guides you through the process..it is very simple the trickiest part for me is the front takedown spring and detent...if your new to it..... hell, scratch that, you should ALWAYS use safety glass, that spring will send the detent shooting out to never be found again...I always have extra of those available.

I would also recommend picking up the Magpul enhanced trigger guard WITH SCREWS! you have to be careful or you will be sporting a Stark grip on that lower... it's not that bad of a grip but it is known as the "you screwed up you Lower" Grip

markm_04

I got the lower completely assembled and only had one little hiccup along the way. I finally found some punches and thought I was doing great until I realized I forgot to put the bolt catch plunger and spring behind the bolt catch. I ended up having to drive the pin back out and put the spring and plunger in. A minor set back and I felt like an idiot, but the rest of the assembly went pretty smoothly. I followed the step by step instructions from AR15.com and they were very helpful.

I have the pistol grip and butt stock on that came in the kit but would eventually like to upgrade to Magpul furniture in Foliage with an angled foregrip.

Have any of you tried painting the logo on the lower reciever or the words "safe" and "fire"? After seeing the lower completed I think it would make it pop a little more. I am thinking some model paint and a super fine brush would work but does anyone have any experience/advice for that?

I appreciate all the comments and advice I have gotten. Thank you

Ibmikey

You can try paint, might be a little messy. I have read where people use a heat gun to warm the metal and then use a grease pencil (china marker) or a crayon and wipe the surface with clp to remove excess. People have become quite creative on the S&W forum dressing 15-22's.

BillyJack3

Paint or nail polish is what I see most. I wouldn't as there will likely be a day that you look at it and wish it was all black again. Some just tacticrayola (look it up) it which requires less commitment.

I run the Magpul MOE grip on my ARs. Also consider the B5 Bravo stock. I'd swap all my Magpul (I have an MOE and STR) for this if I could. It's so simple with a great feel.

Mobuck

I was going to make a snide remark about the need for marking safety positions but changed my mind.
I would also not recommend using a razor blade as an assembly tool. Better and safer ways.

diablo508

The razor works great for me to hold that damn detent down while I get the pin in place

On my next lower I will be getting it "camo dipped" before assembly

markm_04

I really didnt have too big of a problem with that detent and spring. I just used the end of the take down pin to hold the detent and spring down as I slid it into position.

Brotherbadger

Have any of you tried painting the logo on the lower reciever or the words "safe" and "fire"? After seeing the lower completed I think it would make it pop a little more. I am thinking some model paint and a super fine brush would work but does anyone have any experience/advice for that?

Honestly, i used Crayons. They look fine and if i feel the need to go back to all black, it's a 10 minute process.

I was going to make a snide remark about the need for marking safety positions but changed my mind.

It's not a "need", some people just like the way it looks.

markm_04

How well does the crayon hold up? Just warm the metal and rub it in or can you just "color" it in with alot of pressure?

FrankenMauser

I have heard mixed reviews about their shipping times, but I have to say that I am quite pleased. I ordered and recieved my kit in just over a week.
Consider yourself very lucky.
As of now, I have 5 orders with PSA, all stuck in "processing" (including one that was just a 'Classick LPK'. Some of them are now over a month old, and should have shipped weeks ago. Two other orders had shipping labels created more than 2 weeks ago, but the shipments still haven't left PSA.... :rolleyes:

markm_04

I guess I am lucky them. I got the email from UPS the day after I placed the order saying that a label was created but according to the tracking information is was two days before they actually shipped. I know, small potatoes compared to your situation, but I was concerned for a little while after reading other peoples' posts about their shipping. Maybe since I was a first time customer they wanted to treat me right so as not to lose me, haha.

markm_04

I know that they arent the best pictures, I took them with my phone but here are a couplen of my finished lower...
ameqadup.jpg
sudame5a.jpg