Finally shot that old can of 2400

spacecoast

Back in January I posted that I had found a really old can of Alliant 2400 that appeared to be in good shape despite the obvious age of the can, which looked to be post-WWII, maybe as "young" as the mid-1950s. I'm not advocating that anyone else should make the same decision, but since the powder looked to be in such good shape, and still smelled sweet, I decided to load up a dozen rounds and see if it would still shoot.

Alliant doesn't offer nearly as much information as Hodgdon, so I looked on various reloading sites for lowest level .357 loads I could find. I finally found a .38 sp +P charge for a 158 grain bullet that called for ~8 grains under a 158 grain JHP to yield around 920 fps. Alliant said that 14.6 grains would yield 1265 fps, so I went in between and used 9.0 grains under a 158 gr. plated Berry's bullet.

To be extra safe, I used my very stout N-frame S&W 28-2 to shoot these rounds. Happily, they shot just fine and I checked after each round to make sure I could find the bullet strike on the target. Accuracy was very good at 25 yards and recoil as as expected (pretty tame in the large gun). Like other light loads, there were some unburned powder grains that I noticed after bringing the gun down.

My next use of this powder will be some "standard" 158 gr. JHP loads with around 14.5 grains of powder. I've transferred it to Tupperware for dipping and the can now joins my collectibles.

Will standard primers do the job or should I go to magnum primers such as are recommended for H110?

photo14_zps1050a9ac.jpg
photo51_zps9e5f530d.jpg

Last edited:

jepp2

Will standard primers do the job or should I go to magnum primers such as are recommended for H110?

Why would you use the primer for H110/W296 for 2400 powder?

I only use standard primers for 2400, but it is your call. What primer was used in the load you are using in the manual?

spacecoast

Why would you use the primer for H110/W296 for 2400 powder?

I don't see a particular grade primer called out in my sources, and since H110 and 2400 are both used for higher-end .357 loads I was thinking maybe 2400 might appreciate the more energetic primer (like the H110 does).

jepp2

My experience is that 2400 NEVER needs a magnum primer.

H110/W296 ALWAYS need a magnum primer.

Your experience may vary.

Nick_C_S

I've got nothing to add.

Except that's such a cool story. It's neat that powders can stay preserved that long (under the right conditions).

chiefr

Had an ancient can of Bullseye similar to yours I bought at a flea market half full. All of it worked as advertised.
Also have a full can of HS 5 that I need to use. Quit making HS 5 around 30 years ago from what I can tell. Powder looks new.

Another person I know inherited reloading supplies from his grandfather to include powder & primers. Primers were in wood & cardboard boxes. He said around 70 years old and ended up using every bit of it. No problems.

It is all about how powder is stored. Would have done the same thing, used it.

Goatwhiskers

Not to belabor a point, but that's Hercules 2400, not Alliant. Definitely old, but is the same stuff. I'm working on the last of mine. You can use Alliant data, usual rules- start low and work up. GW

spacecoast

Salmoneye -

Thanks very much for that load data. Whether Hercules or Alliant, the load data seems to be the same. I also plan to use it for .44 special and .44 mag. I won't push the envelope (~10% reduction).

Good to know you didn't blow up.

I would suggest moving it OUT of the plastic container, though.

Gunpowder and plastics can interact, especially if the powder is in the early stages of breaking down and releasing nitric acid.

Put it back into the original tin with a powder funnel, and pour it into a bowl or container when you are loading with it.

In the days when powder choices were a LOT narrower, 2400 was a standard .38 Special powder. My old Speer and Lyman manuals have quite a few recipes.

Last edited:
"THAT is not ALLIANT, that is HERCULES !"

It's the same powder, made on the same machinery, just by a company with a different name.

griz

I didn't realize they called 2400 a Rifle powder back then. I guess the Hornet and maybe the 25-20 were more common than magnum handguns at the time?

2400 was introduced several years before the first Magnum handgun cartridge, the .357 Magnum (1935).

It seems to have been introduced around the same time as the .22 Hornet, which would have been 1929-1930 or so.

Cans of 2400 were still labeled "Rifle" powder into the 1960s, when the "push pop top" can was in use.

When it was introduced, Unique was also called a rifle powder.

spacecoast

Mike -

Very cool, thanks! Your estimate of post-war to early '50s was right on target.

I bought the ad to have the documentation. Maybe I'll find some more cans of that vintage when I clean out that old reloading room this summer! That one happened to be sitting in plain sight on the bench.

Since the ad isn't visible any more, I will post pics of it when I receive it.