Finally have a place to shoot

Doc Hoy

Some of you may recall that I am a member of the forum from days gone by. I stopped posting a while ago because I lost my place to shoot in Virginia and just lost interest.

About three years ago, my wife and I got a request from my folks in Florida to come down and assist. They have been in their home in Naples for about 35 years and we just could not see them giving it up and moving into a retirement facility.

We had a home in VA, a restaurant in VA and rental properties in VA, all of which we sold.

So we now reside in Naples as of March of 2019. For the intervening three years I have been looking for a place to shoot and finally admitted that I would need to buy. I never shoot on ranges because I don't like the rules of ranges, many will not allow black powder, and most ranges will not tolerate my quirks.

About four months ago I closed on an acre and a half in Charlotte county. It is called Punta Gorda but is actually way out in the country.

I have built the shooting station and target location and am working on a berm. I never shoot more than 25 yards since my eyes are no longer good enough to see much past that.

I will post some photos of the place prolly by this week end.

It feels real good to have a place where I can shoot safely any time I want.

Attachments

• PG a.jpg
    PG a.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 70
  • PG b.jpg
    PG b.jpg
    607.3 KB · Views: 58
  • PG c.jpg
    PG c.jpg
    816.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

noelf2

Hey Doc good to see you posting again! I'm on some land now if VA and have been burning a lot of power. Still working on molding bullets with all that wheel weight lead you traded to me years ago.

bedbugbilly

Welcome back Doc! Looks like you got a little slick if gave to shoot on - good for you! I always enjoyed your posted and seeing what you were up to . . . when you left I sort of wandered off to some other sites and only came back once in a while - going to have to make it back here more oftennow to read about your adventures. Hope you and your wife are doing well - you were missed bt a lot of folks1

Jim

Doc Hoy

Noel, 3Bs and Hawg

Thanks for the kind words, y'all.

I intend to be more active now that I am fixing, loading and shooting again.

I will be working on the Stevens Favorite, the Remington Number 2 and that H&R bicycle revolver.

I shot up almost all of the .45LC and .45-70 ammunition.

Gun show at the Lee County Civic Center this week end.

More later.

Doc Hoy

The process of prepping this property...

Will include moving some dirt.

I don't have $40k for a trailer and backhoe/loader, so I built one out of a garden tractor.

Started with Cub cadet 46 inch

Welded up the yoke from 11 gauge rectangular tube.

Attachments

• Cub a.jpg
    Cub a.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Cub b.jpg
    Cub b.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Cub c.jpg
    Cub c.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 26

Doc Hoy

More photos

Bucket made from angle and plate

Attachments

• Cub h.jpg
    Cub h.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Cub g.jpg
    Cub g.jpg
    485.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Cub d.jpg
    Cub d.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 27

Doc Hoy

More photos

Actuators are 330 pound electrical actuators. I can lift the front of the mower off the ground by running the yoke all the way down. The loader will lift 150 pounds easily which is about a full bucket of sand.

Attachments

• Cub l.jpg
    Cub l.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

BirchOrr

Doc!

Great to see you again! I've been gone a long time myself. 1st. post in about 5 yrs. Happy to hear you're doing well. I've shifted gears a bit myself. I'll do my best to post more regularly but in the meantime, it's great to hear from you!

Doc Hoy

SSM

Prolly was a Trapdoor. I did about three of those shortening from rifle to carbine.

It is good to be back.