Finally got some time with a R51

TunnelRat

Yeah, that trigger reset looks "surmountable" to say the least. The way the gun appears to handle regular vs. +P loads in the several slo-mo videos I've seen looks downright magical (which is why I don't quite believe it yet), and there is a distinctly common refrain of "surprisingly low recoil" from each and every shooting review so far. Even if they get their hand bit, somehow ;)

TCB

Really? I just watched a review yesterday linked to by MAC where the owner had problem after problem and described the gun as uncomfortable to shoot.

marine6680

I like the idea of this pistol.

I hope they get the early issues out of the way and it performs well.

So far the reviews seem mixed, and some spotty QC issues creeping up.

Definitely looks like it needs broken in a little to fire smoothly for some.

Gats Italian

I'm not convinced on the riding the reset thing...

I have no issues with controlled pairs. I don't actively shoot from the reset.

Maybe I am subconsciously.

You are not subconsciously shooting from a trigger reset. What you are doing is not learning a one way range gimmick promoted by certain gun trainers.

It is beyond funny that the crowd which screams about fine motor control and yammers on about fumbling safeties under stress then claims that feeling, or better yet, hearing, a "positive trigger reset" is a prerequisite to good combat pistol craft.

It's a load of BS. If anything, hunting the reset is more likely to lead to short stroking the trigger under real stress than it will lend itself to an epic double tap on the bad guy.

shaunpain

I have been waiting for the feedback to come back on these as I am very interested in the gun, however, the news I'm hearing hasn't been any good. It seems that the slide/frame fit you're mentioning is not unique to the gun you have in stock but is being paraded almost universally by new owners as not just rough, but hanging mid-rack on my examples. All of the other caveats aside, this seems to be the most glaringly unforgivable flaw with the pistol and to be just absurd that Remington let them off the QC line. I'm sure not everyone will agree with me, but I am of the belief that Remington makes very high quality guns and rough and gritty slides is not making a whole lot of sense to me. As far as trigger reset... well, that's a different matter entirely. I am also not sure why everyone is quick to point the reset, or lack thereof, on the R51 but I guess I might be one of the few that views reset as an unimportant issue completely. It is well documented that speed shooters like Jerry Miculek, Todd Jarret, and Rob Leatham don't ride the reset and certaintly don't advocate it. The trigger being squishy and unpredictable is the other show stopper for me, though, and it's certaintly a shame since a single action carry piece with a manual safety and a decent 4-5 lb trigger is a rare beast indeed and one the market badly needs. I sincerely hope the issues get worked out and I hope you all let us know when they do!!

marine6680

I have seen a few positive videos as well.

The machine work seems decent, so it's not the problem with the stickiness.

It just seems this action with its odd cam and toggle like movement, needs a little break in period.

barnbwt

When the block is cammed upward, a part of that force pushes the block back into the recess. I wonder if the hang being felt is due to the angle of that recess, which may require the block to shift forward slightly against the slide when being pushed back and up by the cams; sort of like a positive sear engagement on a trigger? Ideally you'd want an a recess that follows the arc/swing of the bolt, but I'll bet the R51's is flat. Neither the block nor the slide looked badly machined in the video, but the detail is obviously lower than real life.

TCB

Mystro

I got to play with one last week. Yuck, yuck, and yuck. There is nothing good I could say about it. The trigger was dreadful even by economy gun standards.

Gats Italian

All the r51 has to be is reliable relative to its class.

Glock has long proven that every other aspect of the handgun's design can utterly suck and still sell well on its perceived reliability.

HKFan9

[QUOTEThis is why I'm hesitant about ordering a gun and using another place to transfer it....my new gun shouldn't be "played" with. Open it to check the serial number for the paper work but otherwise leave it alone. Even if the customer gave permission ahead of time...it should be left boxed until they arrive and do the initial inspection.
][/QUOTE]

I guess you missed me say this was WITH the customer after his disappointment that the gun felt crappy.

As far as shooting from the reset, to each his own but it makes most people better shooters but you can arm chair quart back all day. It's taught and used by professionals each and everyday, if you don't use it fine, but that doesn't make I a gimmick. Hammer guns do have resets Sig even offers a short reset trigger as an upgrade or in their elite models, 1911s hk and CZs and Berettas all do as well. The R51 it's non existant, it's a deal breaker for me, if you like it more power to you, it's not my cup of tea.

Skans

The design is interesting. However, there are things I need to see on the R51 before I would consider buying it. For example - I just can't tell how the slide is finished - paint? coating? blued? I would be interested to feel how the slide glides along the frame. Some folks have said they don't like the trigger, but is this something that can be rectified, or are you just stuck with a bad trigger; and what is particularly "bad" about it?

Yep, gotta wait until they start showing up in gunshows. I was interested in the double tap 45 when I read about it, but when I saw one in person, I was startled by how big the thing was - just not what I expected.

barnbwt

The slide is supposed to be nitrided stainless, if I'm remembering properly; the aluminum frame likely black anodized. I've heard differing accounts of whether the trigger is metallic or plastic (though coatings and MIM can make it hard to tell). I'm really hoping someone takes it upon themselves to polish and blue the slide; I think that will help the looks about 40% right there. Black hard-anodizing (or black hard-chroming) a mirror polished frame would get it the rest of the way :cool:

"what is particularly "bad" about it?"

The reset. It's all about the reset. Doesn't matter if the break is far and away superior to other small 9's; the reset is everything ;)

TCB

whippoorwill

Had a chance to handle one last Saturday. I was underwhelmed after the articles I had read. The biggest downside for me would be the weight for a pistol its size. But, opinions vary. Many folks might like the added weight.

HKFan9

Here are a few other reviews I found on here saying basically the same complaints I had. Both good reads if interested in this pistol. I am sure a lot of people will end up buying it because its 1) the new cool hard to find gun on the market and 2)its cheap price tag, but if you're serious about it being a self defense gun, look it over, handle it, read reviews and make an informed decision.

https://www.thebangswitch.com/remington-r51-over-hyped/

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/02/foghorn/gun-review-remington-r51/

http://www.randomgunstuff.com/1/post/2014/03/remington-r51-first-look.html