Finally getting reloading setup... Lee Classic Kit or buy piece by piece?

WVsig

So I think I am about to finally pull the trigger on a Lee Classic Turret press to reload mainly handgun ammo. I will be loading 38 SPL, 357 Mag, 9MM & 45 ACP.

I plan on getting a turret for each caliber so I can change out the caliber quickly and easily. My goal is to be able to load 200-300 round in 1-2 hours. Having never re-loaded I think the Turret is a good place to start and if I want to later down the road I can get a progressive.

I am looking for thoughts on the Classic Turret kit vs buying individual pieces. I can get the kit for $209 delivered. The kit includes:

-Pro Auto-Disk powder measure and riser
-Large and Small Safety Prime
- Includes Cutter, Lock Stud, Chamfer Tool, small and large Primer Pocket Cleaner, and a tube of Lee case sizing lube.
- includes Lee Safety powder scale.
-Completing the kit is Modern Reloading Second Edition

From what I have read most people replace the scale and don't use the one in the kit. Are the case prep tools included worth anything? Would it be cheaper to get just the parts I need? Seems like even if I don't use the scale or the prep tools the kit is a better value.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

surveyor

As far as the scale and case prep stuff...
I prefer other brands..and those have been upgraded.
But they are good enough to use untill you do.

All the other stuff I use..

Last edited:

WVsig

As far as the scale and case prep stuff...
I prefer other brands..and those have been upgraded.
But they are good enough to use untill you do.

That was my thought. Also the fact that I cannot seem to build a kit on my own with the same stuff for less. I guess I have sort of answered my own question. LOL

The only one that seems like it might beat it is the Kemp Kit... which sells for $234.90 with the Pro auto Disk Powder measure and a set of 9mm dies. I would need to get case prep tools and a scale. So I am not sure it will save me much.

Pistol Caliber Kits Include:
Lee Classic Turret Press
Lee Deluxe 4-Die Set for the pistol caliber of your choice. (3 Die set in 380, 44/40 and 357 Sig)
Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure
Lee Safety Prime System (Large AND Small)
Lee Auto Disk Riser (Required for the Safety Prime System)
Six MTM 50 round Plastic Ammo Boxes

Last edited:

skizzums

I love the lee start up kit. Still using mine. Only thing I have added was an electronic scale. You'll do yourself good to just learn on that, and afyer you use it for awhile, you'll see the shortcomings that are acceptable or unacceptable to you and upgrade as you see fit.

Jay24bal

The kit is probably the way to go, especially since it comes with the Auto-Disk.

With the Auto-Disk, it is not like you will be weighing every single charge, just the first few every batch and maybe one in the middle, so having a manual scale will not be a big time-waster.

If you ever wanted to move to loading precision rounds for rifles and trickling up charges, having a good electronic scale would be time-saving as compared to waiting for the manual scale to settle. But for your purposes, I think the kit and its components is a great place to start.

Jay24bal

How is the Lee reloading manual?

It is good. They do not do any load development (I believe), but rather aggregate other sources and put it all together in the book.

The part I think would be most helpful for a new reloader is all the intro material. It has been a while since I read mine, but I believe there are 150ish pages introducing you to the process of reloading, and all the equipment (Lee equipment, that is) involved.

sorry, you asked the second question as I was entering my first answer.

WVsig

It is good. They do not do any load development (I believe), but rather aggregate other sources and put it all together in the book.

The part I think would be most helpful for a new reloader is all the intro material. It has been a while since I read mine, but I believe there are 150ish pages introducing you to the process of reloading, and all the equipment (Lee equipment, that is) involved.

sorry, you asked the second question as I was entering my first answer.

No problem. How many rounds an hour are you able to crank out on the Lee?

surveyor

As far as the manual,
I read all of it...and starting out I found it helpful..and a good resource
As it gave instruction on the steps involved. It is geared more to showcase the lee products.

I haven't tried any of his reduced loads, but the method to work them was good to know.
The book has load data for cast bullets as well.. (lyman does as well)

But the data is listed, but not pressure tested like the powder manufactues do.
So I compare 2-3 diffrent load data sources to see if they agree before I decide on a charge weight..

Sierra does not pressure test as well but that does not stop me from using their book.

I like the pistol dies, but for rifle prefer other brands.

The pro autodisk works well for me with bullseye in 9,38,45....
And the prime system works good for me.

Turrets are easy to change. And it is flexible for me to load pistol with the index rod in, and rifle with it removed.

Taroman

The kit will get you going.
Did for me.
Wasn't long, however, before I purchased a better, nicer, heavier scale and a Redding powder measure.

WVsig

I love the lee start up kit. Still using mine. Only thing I have added was an electronic scale. You'll do yourself good to just learn on that, and afyer you use it for awhile, you'll see the shortcomings that are acceptable or unacceptable to you and upgrade as you see fit.

What electronic scale did you add?

Blindstitch

Start with the kit and don't rush yourself.

300 pieces per hour is 5 per minute. Even 200 is 3.33.

When you move fast lots of little things can foul things up.

WVsig

Start with the kit and don't rush yourself.

300 pieces per hour is 5 per minute. Even 200 is 3.33.

When you move fast lots of little things can foul things up.

I am not looking to rush I am just looking to know what people are able to run once they have gotten used to the press.

Also which caliber would you start with?

WVsig

Really seems like a lot of people quote 150+ an hour once they are up and running. If it is 100 that is ok too.

grisbald

I got into reloading about 4 years ago and I started with a Lee kit. After doing some reloading I pretty much replaced everything in the kit except for the press. If I had to do it again I would get things piece by piece.

Wreck-n-Crew

Get the kit!

From what I have read most people replace the scale and don't use the one in the kit.
Add an MTM digital scale for $40 and keep the Lee scale. Keep good batteries in the scale too (I use rechargeable batteries).