Finally arrived: S&W Pre-M36 Chief's Special

Jetfire

Want to thank Mike Irwin for giving me support on my first "vintage" Smith purchase: an early model Chief's Special. Paid more than Mike said it was worth, but this gun "spoke to me."

This is my second revolver (first blued one), and the only gun I own that is older than me. Incidentally, the finish seems more of a subdued gray/silver to me.

Anybody know (culture-wise) how something like this would be concealed in the early 50s? Just curious...

Sorry for the quality of the pics...

Attachments

• one.jpg
    one.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 726
Ah... I love being a foster father to a new handgun! :)

Your pictures are actually better than the ones on the auction website.

It looks to be in very nice shape.

Don't worry about paying more than its real value if it speaks to you. I've done that with my fair share of handguns.

I'd say concealment wise in the 1950s this would have been carried in a belt holster most commonly.

ACP230

Men's pants then had larger pockets so the Smith might have just been dropped into one.

Pocket holsters were also in use. Chic Gaylord designed one called the "8-Ball" and wrote about in his book "Handgunner's Guide" one addition of which was published in 1960. He had been a holster maker and exhibition shooter for many years when he wrote the book.

ACP,

NEAT information on the pocket holster! I was, as I was typing my response, wondering if pocket holsters would have been in use. Any number of revolvers were available from Smith and Colt with shrouded or concealed hammers...

Radicalcleric

A cop would have either use a thin belt holster behind the hip or a shoulder holster. A civilian would simply drop it into a jacket pocket. Remember that before the 1960s men wore suits, and all of men's clothing was cut rather loose-fitting with huge pockets. It was great for concealed carry. You could pack a 6" N frame Smith under one of those oversized jackets.

What is the date on this revolver? Unusual to find one of these in such nice condition. These guns mostly got carried and used... a lot.

Hutch

Nice catch. I don't personally think there's any point in trying to fairly evaluate such a piece of history. If it's for sale, and you want it, and you have the money, then make it yours.

dinosaur

Aha, a round butt. Nice for IWB concealment. Most old time dick`s carried that way either behind the hip or in front. Shoulder holsters were were easily concealed under a suit jacket too.

Like these guys said, suits were the rage back then. Now, a pair of Dockers or a loose golf type shirt will be right for most. Back then we didn`t have speed loaders and carried extra rounds in a flat pouch if at all. It`s harder to conceal a speed loader than the gun in many cases.

FPrice

Jetfire...

Congratulations on the great purchase! Have you established the date of manufacture yet? Regardless, it's a nice-lookin' gun and I am sure that you will be quite happy with it.

GunsnRovers

nice

I'm jealous. It's one I have high on my list.

I saw a nice early M-36 at Legendary Guns in Phoenix last week. Seemed very clean and action was tight. Too bad I am a PRK resident. :mad:

Jeff

Lone Star

With that rounded front sight and the small trigger guard, this gun dates from about 1950 (date introduced) to maybe 1953.

Lone Star

Alex Johnson

A couple days ago I had an opportunity to buy a vintage square but 36 in excellent shape for $250, when I went back to drool yesterday it was gone, probably just as well since I can't really afford it at the moment.

As far as pocket holsters go I was looking at a reproduction 1900 Sears & Roebuck magazine a few minutes ago and they have 2 pocket holsters listed in there. Apparently there was a substantial market from them at the turn of the century and beyond because they are also listed in the 1908 edition. Try buying that item in Sears today. Of course a few pages back they are also selling dynamite which I don't believe you can purchase there either anymore.

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
In the 50's a Cop may have wrapped the upper grip in rubber bands and just tucked it into his belt. (According to Elmore Leonard) Watch LA Confidential, you'll see all kinds of "Packing" 50's style.

Nice looking piece.

C.R.Sam

Shoulder, belt, ankle, IWB, pocket etc....
Not as common as now but definately in use by some before WWII.

Sam

marsh

If my aging eyes do not deceive me, that piece is built in the old "I" frame as opposed to the more recent "J" frame. I carried one like that with serial # 635. Wish I still had it.
Another old trick in addition to wrapping grip with rubber bands was to wrap the grip with old fashioned fabric friction tape. (As opposed to more modern plastic electrical tape.)
In an early episode of the "Crime Story" series, one of the detectives did that which gave me a chill, thinking "He's been there".

marsh:p

Marsh,

Your eyes deceive you.

It's a .38 Special, and no I-frame was ever chambered for .38 Spl. It simply wasn't large enough.

If I recall correctly, I dated this one at 1952 for Jet. He was looking at several, so I can't say for sure.

Jetfire

Thanks for the kind responses everyone!

I haven't been able to get the _Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson_ yet, which Mike recommended. Info I've found on the Internet (perhaps based on Supica?) seems to date my gun between October of 1950 and the end of 1951 (serial # 21xx)...though I guess I can't believe everything I read on the Internet. :)

Also, thanks for the info on the concealed carry culture of the 50s. Right now, I've purchased an Uncle Mike's pocket holster and a Renegade ankle holster for it. Will definitely look for something more "period-authentic" when I have the time and money to spend.

Anyhow, I took it to the range last night and put 70 rounds through it. All the gun shop had was MagTech 158 gr. (38P) ammo as far as standard pressure stuff. This gun is definitely much more difficult (for me) to shoot accurately than my 640-1, but I guess that is understandable due to the smaller grips and lighter frame. Will definitely need to practice more to feel confident with it...but when I concentrated on my technique, the gun seemed to shoot where the sights lined up. Incidentally, the minor size difference between the .357 640 and the .38 CS makes the latter SO much easier to conceal in the pocket. I actually had not physically handled a .38 J-frame before and was about to give up on J-frame pocket carry. With the CS, I can honestly say my keys print more than my gun.

Interestingly, I got the best treatment at the gun shop I went to that I have ever experienced there. I think it was the oldest CS the clerk had personally ever seen and checked it out a bit for me. Said everything seemed to be in good working condition.

Thanks again for the replies...now I'm going to try different types of ammo to see what it likes to eat!

RBK

Got one my father gave me. Said he carried it in 1954. It is absolutely cherry in condition and I carry it on occasion.
Checked it into a gunshow once and the "checker" [an old gentleman and LEO] liked to have had a fit wanting to buy it right then and there!