Finally a new lever action shotgun

herbs

Well, the first of our Adler A110s have arrived, I've picked mine up and given it a test run. I'm quite happy with it, the lever is pretty stiff being new but it's pretty well built for a cheap shotgun. It has nothing on a pump or semi auto but given the ridiculous laws here in Australia, this is as good as we can get for the moment. If I could, I'd have a Beretta A 400 but...

Attachments

• Adler!.jpg
    Adler!.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 29

Long Path

I'm glad to see another addition to this interesting form of shotgun, but I'll admit that I really don't see much value FOR ME in it. It will be slower than a pump. It will be a bit harder to get into action, and the long lever throw requires more room. I don't see the point of a lever gun without an exposed hammer. It's not a valid reproduction of the 1887 or the like.

On the other hand, it is MUCH faster to shoot than a break-open.

It is a rather homely piece though, isn't it?

CaptainChaos

Well, the first of our Adler A110s have arrived, I've picked mine up and given it a test run. I'm quite happy with it, the lever is pretty stiff being new but it's pretty well built for a cheap shotgun. It has nothing on a pump or semi auto but given the ridiculous laws here in Australia, this is as good as we can get for the moment.

I'd be interested to see some video of you using it. Perhaps, you could start an Australian PSG league. :) (I'm assuming that Practical ShotGun isn't much done in Aus given that semi and pump guns are hard to acquire...)

I didn't think that it was *cheap*, by the way. In Aus, how does it compare with the cost of other guns?

While, in the UK, we *are* permitted semi-auto and lever-action shotguns, we are limited to a number of "slots" for unrestricted guns. Hence, if *I* wanted an Adler 110, it'd have to have its magazine crimped to limit the capacity to two rounds (three in total). :(

Regards,

Mark.

skizzums

i think it looks very nice, albiet a bit bulky. still the thought of anything in leaver-action action appeals to me, not sure why, they're just fun. not sure if i agree that a pump would be any faster, why would it be? i guess the combined travel may add up to slightly more than a pump, but if it feeds smoothly i think you could get it just as fast or at least close enough not to know the difference. But, i have never used a pump shotgun, so what do i know, but i do know i can shoot pretty dang fast with my lever .357, faster than i can with my pump shotgun.....apples to bananas i know

but the Alder pistol/SBS thingy, now that seems super impractical

CaptainChaos

not sure if i agree that a pump would be any faster, why would it be? i guess the combined travel may add up to slightly more than a pump, but if it feeds smoothly i think you could get it just as fast or at least close enough not to know the difference. But, i have never used a pump shotgun, so what do i know, but i do know i can shoot pretty dang fast with my lever .357, faster than i can with my pump shotgun.....apples to bananas i know

While not both of the same stage, these two videos might give you *some* idea about relative speed:

Lever-action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym5svemcFLc

Pump-action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHEl2unHnKQ

Also, remember that that the shotguns will recoil more than your rifle. (Note that I'm a *shot-gunner* and that my rifle experience is limited. However, I *have* shot both.)

Finally, in the case of the 1887s and clones thereof, they're a *lot* slower to load than the bottom-fed guns.

But still, I shoot for *fun*, not to *win*, so the lever-action shotgun sees a lot of "action", as it were. :)

Regards,

Mark.

herbs

Rubbish single shot 12 guages can be bought brand new for $250 or a bit over, while the absolute cheapest, crappiest doubles start at 500-600. The Chinese 1887 copy I bought for $800 6 years ago, so the same price as the new Adler. A Beretta O/U starts at about $2500. That's prices in Australia.

CaptainChaos

Rubbish single shot 12 guages can be bought brand new for $250 or a bit over, while the absolute cheapest, crappiest doubles start at 500-600. The Chinese 1887 copy I bought for $800 6 years ago, so the same price as the new Adler. A Beretta O/U starts at about $2500. That's prices in Australia.

In the UK, the Norinco 1887 would be about 600 GBP although, just recently, I've seen adverts citing 800 GBP instead. The Chiappa 1887 is about 1200 GBP. (Yeah, stuff's *expensive* here.)

From what I read on (IIRC) American forums about the Adler, it was priced more than a Chiappa, although the Chiappas *were* cheaper than over here, methinks. (Generally, to convert from USA to UK prices, one must merely changed the dollar sign into a pound sign...)

If the Adler were as cheap in the UK as a Norinco would be, I'd rush out and buy one - one more "toy" couldn't hurt... :)

Regards,

Mark.

gyvel

Nothing new under the sun. Marlin made a lever action shotgun in the 1930s, and possibly some other company before that.

herbs

The Chiappa 1887 is twice the price of a new Adler A110 here in Oz. Not hard to make a decision off that.

CaptainChaos

The Chiappa 1887 is twice the price of a new Adler A110 here in Oz. Not hard to make a decision off that.

Now, I've just got to hope that someone imports Adlers into the UK at Norinco prices...

Being part Scot, I find it a bit hard to part with m'cash. :) When I bought my 1887 clone, I "prevaricated about the bush" for a looong time over whether to buy a Norinco or a Chiappa. I bought the latter and I don't regret that decision; it works well and is, I should imagine, much better finished than the Norinco. (I've yet to fondle a Norinco - they're not that common.)

Regards,

Mark.

I kind of like its looks, but question whether the lever takes the trigger hand too far from the trigger for too long and if a pump allows the gun to be better kept on target. Videos I watched don't seem to show much of a problem so I may be wrong. Also, just from looking at a couple of videos of the Chiappa and the Chinese knockoff it looks like both tend to have a problem ejecting the last round in a magazine.

Another point if used for tactical or defense. The pump's mag can also be topped off when it runs low. Also, Pumps with side ejection can be tactically loaded when the well runs dry. (Drop one in the side ejection port). Can something similar be done with the lever action?

Consider further whether that lever is something to snag on things and especially in the confines of a darkened room.

Lastly, this particular item is made in Turkey. While there are reportedly some good guns out of Turkey, you get what you pay for. Same with the Chinese reproductions (as it once was with Italian repros, but no one now argues that Italy now makes some fine firearms.)

Last edited:

herbs

Well, some of us can only have the lever action instead of a pump or semi auto thanks to stupid laws. As for the Adler, I'm happy, having a bottom fed shotgun that can also have one loaded through the ejection port easily enough.

stonewall50

c088b0462ff82d3a5b904b203e40f9fb.jpg