Final decision.

sc928porsche

I"ve been mulling it over for a lot of years on what to build with my last Brevix magmum action. Its going to be an 1000+ yard rifle. Since the 338 Palma is becoming quite popular, I will build a 338/378. At my age, it will probably be the last one I build. I will go to Lilja for a 30" barrel. The stock is still up in the air, but plenty of time to decide on that while the metal is being done. I will keep everyone informed on the progress. If you wish to chime in with a suggestion or two, please feel free to do so.

tobnpr

Sounds like fun.
"Your age"... LOL...
Best build a really heavy stick, with a good brake!

Good luck with it. Guess there's something to be said for pushing 300 grains at over 3000 fps :eek:

THE RAVEN

It sounds like it will be a very nice rifle...! Please keep us informed on how your build goes,maybe we can see some pictures of it some day....Have fun...:)

hhunter318

Is it going to be a normal 338/378 Weatherby or are you going with an improved version? I have a friend that has a rifle chambered in tight-necked 338/378 Ackley Improved, named for the 40-degree shoulder configuration of course. He has logged shots that exceed 1400 yds. I've witnessed first hand what it's capable of on a whitetail at about 1200 yds. Keep us updated on the progress.

tobnpr

When did Brevex make those mauser actions? '60's?

I don't know much about them, other than they're quite rare, prized- and pricey...

Pics please?

sc928porsche

Barrel has been chambered and headspace set. Reamers on their way back. Its time to work on the other end and start making a brake.

sc928porsche

Brake completed. Now for the many hours of polishing metal. Richards microfit wildcat in exh grade carlo walnut ordered. Should be about 6 weeks. Contemplating Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50.

Sphawley

Now this is getting interesting!!! More details!!

And pics would be a plus...you know not being pushy or anything!! :D

Wish I had the skills to do that myself!

tobnpr

I've heard a lot of very positive reviews on the Zeiss- great value for the $$.

Do you need to use "traditional" ring mounts on a Mauser action, or are there single-piece down-angle Weaver or picatinny style bases for long range?

mapsjanhere

Very nice built, but for the kind of shooting you're planing I'd go with a real target scope like a Nightforce, something with zero stop and parallax adjustment. The conquests are nice hunting scopes, set once, leave alone.

taylorce1

I hope you see your stock in six weeks, I've found Richard's terribly slow to deliver. I won't order anything from them that isn't on their current closeout / bargain list.

sc928porsche

The 6.5-20x50 conquest has turret style adjustment for elevation and windage plus A/O. The action was drilled for weaver bases and installed many years ago. I am still shopping for scopes though but so far the conquest is winning.

I still have a lot of hours to do on the polishing wheels, but it is coming along. Finished barrel length is just under 30" without brake. The brake adds another 4". By the time the stock arrives, the rest of the rifle should be blued (like the old S&W high grade pistols).

Last edited:

hooligan1

Alright sc928porche, lets see some photos of that barreled action. Sound like your set up to do the work, interested in doing another one?:)