Fess up. What was I thinking?

WaywardAce

My WASR 10/63 AK. I paid $400 for it. I can definitely tell it's a bottom level AK. Later on, for 50 bucks more I got a GP 1975 AK and it is noticeably better. I should have got something nicer from the get go. When people ask about what kind of AK they should get with a $500 budget, I feel it's my duty to recommend them something better than a WASR.

smalltownguy

""Scorch, you could not be more right.

I just bought a Ruger MkIII 22/45 to shoot a lot of and save on all my centerfire ammo. I have my mandatory 10 day waiting period as I am in CA right now, but all I can think of is the absolutely stunning, brand new S&W model 36 that was sitting right next to it, and thinking that if I was still single I'd be buying it next.

Does getting married count in this thread?

Here is the pistol, I am a revolver nut, I love my 1911, but have a soft spot for small and large revolvers http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y ""

wish i had a longer waiting period for my first marriage i so would have got a different one

Que

I think my major problem with that DPMS Tuber was that it was my first AR that I bought. I agree that most any gun is worth owning, but the timing on this one was all wrong. I have shot AR's for years (mostly traditional Colts) and for a first buy a Tuber is a pretty poor choice. Sighting options are very limited, and shooting iron sights (my preference with rifles) is pretty mkuch out of the question. Right after walking out the door with the Tuber I knew that my money would have been much better spent on something much less of an oddball for a first AR. Sure, if I had the two AR's that I have now picking up an oddball like the Tuber might be fun, but as it was my timing on that rifle was all wrong and it was an immediately regretable choice that diverted funds away from a much wiser choice.

BTW, the Tuber was actually a nice shooting rifle, but the balance was way off (at least it seemed so) and I have a general dislike for fake cans.

kd7sgm

ruger hawkeye 300 win mag stainless w/ grey laminated stock. Have not shot it yet, I wanted the Tikka T3 lite but was offered a good deal on the Hawkeye so I purchased it. After reading the forums and various opinions on these rifles I have learned that they are generally not held in high regard due to accuracy. Should have held out for the Tikka.

chris in va

My first rifle was a Marlin 60. Jam jam jam, sold it a couple months later.

I'll expand this to 'long guns' and include my Benelli Nova 20ga. Too light, pointed weird, one piece stock. Couldn't hit a darn thing with it.

Mosin M38. Not sure what it's purpose is, just belches fire at the range. I put a few dozen rounds through it and has sat in my cabinet for the past two years.

Quentin2

I'm still happy with the five rifles I bought over the years starting with a Marlin 336C in 1971. And the AR-15 I built last year. Hopefully the AR I'm starting soon will be a keeper too.

As far as all firearms, the Stoeger Luger .22 I bought was a piece of crap. I still remember that day I was handling it and an Erma Luger .22 and chose the Stoeger because they had the rights to the name Luger. What was I thinking - my buddy got an Erma that looked much more like a Luger and it actually worked!

Ian Evans

I have a Remington 770 that I picked up right as they were starting to get popular a few years ago. It was an impulse buy about a month before deer season. Most of my firearms purchases are heavily researched, and I skimped on this one thinking "It's a Remington bolt action at a great price, I can't go wrong". So now I have a .300WM that's gonna be going into the newspaper soon to fund my long list of other gun projects, including a Remington 700 .30-06 in stainless steel. Hindsight is always 20/20.

My only other firearm purchase that I made without much research offsets my disappointment on the 770. Back in summer of '06, just as the .17HMR cartridge was gaining some serious momentum, I picked up a NIB Marlin 917V for $200. This thing is the epitome of a "tack driver". It's my favorite gun to shoot, and I could never see myself letting that one go.

stevelyn

None.

I've tried to be pretty practical in my gun buying decisions in that what I bought was to fill a specific need, either real or imagined.

So far I've been happy with all of my purchases. Now my biggest problem is deciding what to have built on actions and receivers I have in the inventory.

Note to self: I' about to traipse off on a hunting trip and still need a new tent/sleeping bag gun.........

I bought a pre-safety marlin 1894 .44 mag... Then realized... Why??????????? Ended up using it as trade bait.. So at least it ended well..

ruger hawkeye 300 win mag stainless w/ grey laminated stock. Have not shot it yet, I wanted the Tikka T3 lite but was offered a good deal on the Hawkeye so I purchased it. After reading the forums and various opinions on these rifles I have learned that they are generally not held in high regard due to accuracy. Should have held out for the Tikka.

Shoot it first... Heard the same thing... My ruger ss/laminate .270 shoots inch groups at 100 yard with factory ammo..

stubbicatt

I bought an ORF AK74 way back when. I debated long and hard between that rifle and a CZ. Ended up keeping the CZ and selling the Kalashnikov. Another I didn't really like was an AR15. But then one doesn't know whether he will like it unless he buys it, tries it, and ditches it I guess.

jhog1

After reading the forums and various opinions on these rifles I have learned that they are generally not held in high regard due to accuracy

I'm thinking the same thing as 300 Weatherby Your letting a bunch of hunyack's on the internet (that might not know there a$$ from there elbo) tell you a rifle isn't accurate ??? I have owned more Rugers than I can remember, some took a little tweeking but all were pretty good shooters. The 4 I currently own are exceptional as was the #1B I sold this morning on GB. My favorite is a M77 RSI tang saftey in 250/3000. I'm now on the hunt for a
M77 tang saftey in 7X57, I just hope nothing comes along to distract me before I find it