Fess up. What was I thinking?

Que

What rifle or rifles have you acquired and then right afterwards thought to yourself "D'oh, what the heck was I thinking?"

My worst lapse in judgement was a DPMS Tuber. What the heck was that thing about? Luckily I bought it well before ObamaScare and ended up getting rid of it around election time just breaking even, which still wasn't easy.

10-96

Kinda...
I have several that would normally be 'headscratchers'. However, I calls em 'trading wampum'. I have several that hold absolutely no interest at all, but they're gonna get me on my way towards something I really want- which is at the moment a S&W 41.

Rob228

I have a Winchester 94 Timber model in .450 Marlin that I got on an impulse, which was also my first and only lever gun. Its not as much fun to shoot as a lever gun should be, and I'm still not sure why I got it. I've had it for five years and probably put about forty rounds through it.
I think it will be a keeper though.

ZeSpectre

Ruger Charger.

It's not a rifle, it's not a pistol, I'm not really sure what it was. Fun to shoot but couldn't find it's "niche" with me. I suppose if I was hunting squirrel or such I would have kept it but in the end it wasn't for me.

Crazy Carl

AMD-65. It's kinda fun, in an obnoxious, masochistic kinda way. Muzzle blast/pressure wave is atrocious. Just waiting for someone with something interesting to trade.

TXGunNut

I think I've had buyer's remorse a time or two after impulse buys but the rifle always seemed to turn out well. OTOH a few that I've been super excited about just didn't work out and became trade bait or wound up on the consignment rack at a friend's store several months later.

Last edited:

Scorch

I think everyone has had buyers remorse at some point in their gun career. My biggest regrets are from guns I got rid of, not ones I bought.

Rob228

Scorch, you could not be more right.

I just bought a Ruger MkIII 22/45 to shoot a lot of and save on all my centerfire ammo. I have my mandatory 10 day waiting period as I am in CA right now, but all I can think of is the absolutely stunning, brand new S&W model 36 that was sitting right next to it, and thinking that if I was still single I'd be buying it next.

Does getting married count in this thread?

Here is the pistol, I am a revolver nut, I love my 1911, but have a soft spot for small and large revolvers http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765793_-1_757779_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

CPTMurdoc30

nope never regretted a purchase. How can you regret buying a gun? Unless it blows your face off. That I would understand but short of not functioning or accuracy that makes a shotgun look like a bench rest rifle I could never regret purchasing a gun.

I purchased a camera last year and about 20 minutes later Wished I would have picked up the nice Marlin gray laminate SS guide gun I seen when picking up my new RRA Predator Pursuit Rifle. Oh well I love my RRA and I love my Nikon D5000 as well....

My latest car is the only thing I really have buyer remorse over. It is a POS. I hate it except for the color. I have had more problems in 37000 miles than my wife has had with her Toyota with 122,000 miles.

100% with the one that have remorse for the gun that got sold....!About 10 yrs a go I sold two rifle and two handgun, the first rifle was one old Steyer sporter 9.3x62 with all the perks, cut off magazine, triple rear leaf, duble set trigger and extremely accurate, the second a Browning B78 30-06 octagonal barrel. The two hand gun: .45acp colt MKVII, and .38 Smith K14 with 1" diameter barrel slab side with combat rib. I got much more than I paid for...but I still can figure out what tooke me to let them go!!!!
_________
roberto

mdd

Both of my AR 15's. Just not my cup of tea. Nothing a bit of word-of-mouth advertising and face to face cash sales didn't remedy for me.

Zhillsauditor

something I really want- which is at the moment a S&W 41.
That is something you won't regret. It is beautiful handgun.

I bought an Anschutz Match 54. I regretted it before I even finished the deal, tried to pay the guy to back out, but ended up with it. It's beautiful, and deserves a dedicated three position shooter, which I am about 100#s too fat to be. Used now as a beautiful benchrest rifle. I'll sell it eventually, taking a small loss.

mgh

Winchester 1894 Commemorative, in 38-55. Beautiful rifle, and I got it for a good price. But I just didn't like to shoot it. I sold it to buy a Savage Classic American.

TXGunNut

I think I'd regret buying any collectible/commemorative firearm. I don't know enough about them and I'm not willing to study up because this market seems so fickle to me. There are also fakes and sometimes concealed flaws so I don't want to take the risk. On top of that most lose collector value if you actually shoot them. :eek:

MosinM38

Well...can't think of any I've regretted right then...and truthfully most of my guns have been awesome.

I do have buyers remorse on a AR-180B....I got it, love IT....IT shot accurate....but couldn't get a scope mount to stay on that stupid blankitybkalnkity *censored* propriority scope mount. Just wouldn't hold tight. Ended up selling the rifle + $75 scope mount for $60 less than the rifle cost.

Too bad as I loved the gun itself....if Armalite don't make their AR-180B again in 2011 with a picatinny rail, I'll buy an old 180B and weld a picatinny on top.

jgcoastie

Mine was a Benelli Super Nova Pump 12ga, the "tactical" version. (Yeah, I know you said rifles, but I like all mine...)

Thought it was great in the store, hated it once I figured out it was a fixed IC choked barrel and the replacement barrels cost as much as the gun itself... Ironically enough, I got it home, cleaned it, and stuck it in a case under the bed and forgot about it until 6 months later when I discovered (and promptly sold) it.

Bigfatts

I'm very particular with my rifles so the only firearm regret I have is a Rossi SxS 12ga. Traded a rifle for it and regretted it almost immediately. But I just sold it and got enough for the High Standard Sport King I've always wanted. I believe there are no bad buys, just future trades.