Federal's 6.8 XM68 Gold Dots Ammo on Sale at PSA $7.99!

ed308

I'm really surprised how much of this ammo they have. People on the 6.8 Forum are ordering a ton of this ammo.

Mobuck

I was waiting on free shipping but decided to get on the bus today. A big box of this is on the way.

ed308

I’ll see it in a month lol.

If we're lucky. PSA shipping is so slow. No rush for me. I got plenty anyway.

rickyrick

Me too, ground from PSA is at least a month to WA state lol. I never order anything from them that I’m in a hurry for. It will arrive for sure.

Mobuck

"Dang it. I ordered some too!

I’ll see it in a month lol."
Orders I placed 2 weeks back were shipped within 3-4 days and arrived within a week.

rickyrick

Everything from the east coast sent ground will go to Chicago first and get put on a train.
After it gets on the train it will take no less than one week to get to my door.
Can take a week to get to Chicago after it starts moving. I have never received anything from PSA sooner than a month.
We will see how long it takes, maybe they’ve improved.

stagpanther

Been shootin 6.8 for a long time--so I already have thousands of spare cases. 90 grs in 6.8 never been a stellar performer in my experience accuracy-wise--more like a flat-base varminter bullet. My latest build based on an ARP barrel is very sweet on 120 gr sst's.

ed308

The bullet for this round is the same one used in Federal's Fusion round. Not the same as the 90 gr TNT bullet. This is a good hunting bullet. Speer will be releasing this bullet plus a 115 gr Gold Dot for reloading.

stagpanther

The bullet for this round is the same one used in Federal's Fusion round. Not the same as the 90 TNT bullet. This is a good hunting bullet. Speer will be releasing this bullet plus a 115 gr Gold Dot for reloading.
As far as I can tell--it's a matter of physics of the case design--being relatively far-forward in the shoulder--and a light-weight bullet--you can only push the ogive length/effieciency so far before it can't be held well by the neck.

ed308

That ammo is the most accurate I can find for my LWRC SPR piston Six8. Haven't been able to match it with my reloads for some reason. Of course, the ammo was designed for LWRC's Six8. The ammo is about as close to SPCII ammo you'll find currently. I'm think when this batch is gone, probably won't see XM68GD again. I'm really looking forward to Speer finally releasing this bullet to the public.

stagpanther

I agree this is a good deal for brass harvesting and maybe light game--but I wouldn't choose it over say a 95 tsx. Unless there is something magical about this bonded soft-point.;)

ed308

For me, I've never been able to get Barnes' 95 gr TTSX bullet to group. Around 1" is usually as good as I can with it or Barnes 110 gr TSX. Maybe its the all cooper bullet issue. But with these 90 gr Gold Dots, .5 MOA is possible. 29.2 gr of Reloader 7 is good load for them. Whenever these 90 gr Gold Dots were available as a pulled bullet from RMR, people would snapped them up so fast. Usually gone within hours. So I do like this ammo and the bullet.

stagpanther

For me, I've never been able to get Barnes' 95 gr TTSX bullet to group. Around 1" is usually as good as I can with it or Barnes 110 gr TSX. Maybe its the all cooper bullet issue. But with these 90 gr Gold Dots, .5 MOA is possible. 29.2 gr of Reloader 7 is good load for them. Whenever these 90 gr Gold Dots were available as a pulled bullet from RMR, people would snapped them up so fast. Usually gone within hours. So I do like this ammo and the bullet.
By all means go for whatever works best in your rifle--I'm not saying anyone shouldn't. I have thousands of speer and gold dot bullets--good stuff, though in my experience rarely do they out-perform other bullets decisively. But I'm not a military/combat operator either and am not familiar with this ammo--I'm sure it's a great deal.

CarJunkieLS1

I ordered 10 boxes for my 6.8. Its a 20" ARP barrel and now that the rifle finally cycles correctly its been superbly accurate with 3 different bullets and powders. Right now 100 grain Accubonds and H322 are what's loaded. If these Factory loads shoot just as well I'll save the Accubonds because the $7.99 price can't be beat.

stagpanther

I ordered 10 boxes for my 6.8. Its a 20" ARP barrel and now that the rifle finally cycles correctly its been superbly accurate with 3 different bullets and powders. Right now 100 grain Accubonds and H322 are what's loaded. If these Factory loads shoot just as well I'll save the Accubonds because the $7.99 price can't be beat.
My ARP 6.8 spc barrel is 20" also--I know that Harrison has tweaked the chamber of his 6.8 barrels over the years to deliver superb results with longer, higher BC bullets than afforded by most "conventional" 6.8 chamber cuts. This is accomplished by a throat which enables bullets like the matchking to be optimally loaded (meaning with the right magazine, like cavity back's) you can seat beyond SAAMI COL specs if your bullet profile allows. As good as shorter "stubbier" bullets lke the sierra might be--I personally feel like "why handicap myself." :D