Federal ID and our rights...

andrewstorm

federal id

i think you are slowly loosing ur rights here in the usa as are the states are loosing thier sovientry ,ur heading twoards a new world order,god save america.

carguychris

I'm afraid that is no longer true, at least if you wish to legally work in this country.
Yes, but (a) one does not necessarily have to work, and (b) if one does want to work, it's easy to find employers willing to keep one's legal status off the books.

One can be hired as temporary "day labor" with wages paid in cash, and the money spent on that person's wages can be rolled into some other item on the company's books. Otherwise-legit businesses can do an end run around the law by hiring subcontractors to perform certain tasks and adopting a "don't ask, don't tell" policy regarding the labor the subcontractor brings in; current law and enforcement methods make it very difficult to punish a business that hires such a subcontractor.

carguychris

Sure. What part would you like me to clarify?
I can't speak for BlueTrain, but I'd like you to clarify this part.
If the federal government did what the constitution tells them to do...
...and what is that exactly? The Constitution tells the federal government to do lots of different things. :)

CowTowner

Looking at my 1970 issued SSN card, it must be a misprint when it is written "For Social Security and Tax Purposes - Not For Identification". I understand the new cards no longer contain that "misprint".

Mine has the same misprint on it.
And as a member of the U.S. Army in the late 70's, I had to grant the government permission to use my SSAN on my dog tags.
Something about the Privacy Act of 1974 if memory serves.

Hkmp5sd

Looking at my 1970 issued SSN card, it must be a misprint when it is written "For Social Security and Tax Purposes - Not For Identification". I understand the new cards no longer contain that "misprint".

My "Form OA-702 Revision 1-72 (January, 1972)" issued in 1974 SSN card does not contain that statement.

Ben Towe

I guess there are two ways of looking at it. On one hand: My driver's license is pretty much a de facto Federal ID. Driver's licenses are in a nationally accessable database though they are state issued. It has all pertinent information on it except SSN and it is listed as On File (you get a choice here whether or not its on there). It has the barcode on back and everything.
On the other hand: Biometrics make me a bit nervous. The thought of EVERYONE'S finger prints being on file raises my hackles a bit.
The fact that this thing could be expanded to require your "papers" to do anything is a bothersome too, but we are already required to show ID to do many things (buy alcohol, tobacco, firearms, use a debit/credit card, get a job, etc.). I don't know that it would be that much different. If it were strictly regulated in the manner of the Armed Forces DNA database that would ease my mind a lot. Something else that eases my mind some is the recent push to deregulate the RKBA. We are seeing that on a scale I have never seen in my lifetime. Using my sense of reasoning, it looks like if this were some sinister plot to "communize" us the logical step would be to first relieve those of us with the ability to stand against a tyranny of the means to do so (aka our weapons). They cannot do that by force. There simply aren't enough of them. They have to do that through regulation. That has been the modus operandi of tyrannical governments for thousands of years. That's just some random thoughts on this thing.