Federal changing their primers

Dillonhelp

My understanding is that the variation of lead styphnate Federal uses is more impact sensitive than the variation used by other primer manufacturers. The molecular structure is slightly different. It's so long ago that I saw the molecule drawings I forget their source.

Jim Watson

Announcement of Catalyst primers may be causing a run on known quantity Federal primers. Small pistol standard No 100 is nowhere to be found.

Even with announcement that they will take five years to phase it in in loaded ammunition and say they are not planning for the reloading market.

If they're not going to be sold for reloading, that may mean they haven't conquered the moisture problem yet, and will make loaded rounds using sealant. We shall see.

Jim Watson

Well, they SAY they have.

I am loading ammo this week to see if I have a real need for Fed 100 SP.

My Colt Custom Shop Python definitely requires them. I tried WW when they first quit plating their primers. I think it did make them softer, they ALMOST all worked.
I will try WW in other .38s with more or less limber springs.

In the opposite direction, striker fired autos are sensitive to striker spring vs primer. I will try some 9mm with Federals and see if I can soften the action of my Glock a bit.