FBI goes GLOCK again/still? (Contract award)

testuser79

I wasn't too surprised, seems to make sense based on low cost and familiarity with the platform. The difference between the current plastic pistols is so slight that it's strange to see people argue about the marginal differences.

XD/M&P/Glock, pretty much the same. Polymer pistols with trigger safeties have their merits, but are definitely not perfect and not always the best choice. (The ubiquitous AR-15 is far from perfect for that matter!) That said, I would have preferred our tax dollars go to someone less unsavory than Gaston Glock, and maybe an American company, but oh well...

Last edited:

TunnelRat

That said, I would have preferred our tax dollars go to someone less unsavory than Gaston Glock, and maybe an American company, but oh well...

Glock is making pistols stateside now. As long as they're made here I'm happy.

Glenn E. Meyer

In 2014, Glock made 200K guns here and imported about 900K.

I think the gun is successful for quite a few people, despite the Internet proclamations about them. If you don't like them and can't shoot them - well, most can.

L-2

I read the link provided. It state(s) that each pistol must be provided with 2 frame sizes. Medium and Large. I know Sig 320 does that . I'm not a Glock guy. Can they do that?

This response is to clarify further and to provide a specific reference. Separate frame sizes (three, not just two) is only one method of accomplishing the requirement. The other is by using grip frame inserts, as the current Gen4 Glocks do.

From the solicitation, C.4.15:

Frames which allow for different hand sizes are required.

Regardless of how each Contractor accommodates different hand sizes they must be able to support at least 3 sizes commonly referred to as small, medium and large.

Two acceptable methods of accommodating for different hand sizes are:

Multiple Frame Sizes
Two alternate sizes must be available and supplied with each pistol.

Grip/Frame Inserts
Two alternate sizes must be available and supplied with each pistol.
It is required the size of a frame or insert be marked on an exterior surface (e.g., “M” for medium, “L” large) for rapid identification without disassembly.

Last edited:

testuser79

In 2014, Glock made 200K guns here and imported about 900K.

Point taken. My position is more political, than anything else, so maybe not one for a gun forum.

Glock is still an Austrian company, whether manufacturing in the USA or not. I'm not attacking anyone, I'm just suggesting that a company owned and manufacturing in the USA would do more to support our arms industry. The more I read about Gaston Glock, the less I like his company.

I just see little difference between something like a S&W M&P and a Glock. Given similar products, I'd prefer the government support an American company. It's difficult for me to believe that someone who shoots one well would not be able to adapt to the other.

Last edited:

TunnelRat

I'm just suggesting that a company owned and manufacturing in the USA would do more to support our arms industry.

Our arms industry is pretty solid.

The more I read about Gaston Glock, the less I like his company.

Most CEOs I read about are that way. You generally don't become successful by being nice. Glock started off humble enough, but success got to his head. Pretty American story really.

It's difficult for me to believe that someone who shoots one well would not be able to adapt to the other.

They already have holsters, magazines, parts, and agents and armorers that are trained around Glocks. As an American taxpayer I like to see government agencies saving money when they can. Frankly I'm surprised they made a practical decision.

JDBerg

Testuser79: said:
The more I read about Gaston Glock, the less I like his company.

Henry Ford did a lot of negative things but if it wasn't for his Model T we might never have had affordable cars! Steve Jobs of Apple Computers was a tyrant to work for but we have better quality computers & cellphones today regardless of whether you own Apple products or not.

If you're old enough to remember how bad in general the build quality of American cars were 35 to 45 years ago, my 1974 Mustang II and 1979 Chevy Monza were both great but woeful examples, then you can appreciate it when Honda and Toyota came in to the US with cars that ran properly and were built properly in the United States, which then forced the American car companies to start cleaning up their act!

Last edited: