Favorite Sleepers

rigby06

I do not know how much a sleeper this is, but the Bren-10 is hard to find, I saw a special forces model 20 years ago, at that time it was $1600 more than I had at that time, now if you can find them, it can be double that.

The 44 AutoMag is another one in that category you don't seem them around much.

carguychris

I'll expand this topic to include small-caliber mouseguns by nominating the .32ACP/.380ACP FN Browning M1910 and M1922 (aka 1910/22).

These guns are wonderfully slim and incredibly easy to conceal. They're accurate, they have short, crisp triggers, and due to the lack of a separate guide rod- the recoil spring surrounds the barrel- they have an extremely low bore axis that makes them ridiculously easy to shoot quickly. Compared to most other early 20th-century European small-caliber automatics, the design is really simple, they're rugged enough to shoot frequently with confidence, and the high production numbers make for low prices and good parts availability. (Spare mags don't cost $75!) :)

It's true that they lack some modern features- the slide doesn't lock back on an empty mag, the mag release is the Euro-style latch on the butt, there's a mag safety and grip safety yet no RH-side thumb safety, it's difficult to undo the M1910 barrel bushing without a tool, and the M1910 sights are so small that they're functionally almost nonexistent. (OTOH the gun's slender shape means you can aim it surprisingly well inside 10yds simply by looking down the barrel like you're aiming a shotgun.) Also, they're a SAO design with a thumb safety at a time when DAO mouseguns are stylish.

I've been surprised at how few shooters even know what these guns are. They seem to languish on gun-show tables, and I get more "What's That Thing?" questions when I take my M1922 to the range than with any other gun I own.

There's a reason why these get nominated each time there's a "What Out-of-Production Guns Should Be Brought Back?" thread. :D

dahermit

Star Firestar 9mm. An excellent little gun, a little heavy (all steel), but very reliable. Now discontinued...an orphan.

Jimmy10mm

Would the Ruger Bisley flattop 44spl on the 357 frame qualify ? Got mine this afternoon from a GB dealer to my LGS. Heavier than I anticipated. I'm going to kick the tires and drive it around the block later today. :)

mrgoodwrench76

AMT .22 mag. The one and only .22 mag pistol I've owned and its a blast to shoot. Very accurate, smooth trigger, and the finish has help up very well.

Attachments

• automag.jpg
    automag.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 80

IDAHO83501

Star

I bought a Star Firestar in 1994 or 1995 for $249 new. It was a great little pistol, accurate, and looked good too. Mine was a 40 S&W, my friend bought a new 9mm at the same time. We both really liked them, we both screwed up and sold them and we both wish we would have kept them :D

A Makarov. Rugged, relatively inexpensive, ultra reliable, compact. It was designed as a simplified, stronger answer to the Walther PP/PPK design (the Russians designed it with about 20-30 less parts), and has earned a reputation for reliability and ease of use. Even Teddy Jacobson, fine tuner of pistol actions, rates it as a high quality weapon. It can be found for great prices, and magazines are easy to find. Ammo can be bought by the case for less than .380 ammo, and most 9mm Luger ammo.

zombie44

Anything S&W or Colt moves pretty quick in my area, but CZ's tend to sit for a long while. One shop has a beautiful CZ 75 in bright stainless that's been sitting there for a couple months now (I think it was priced at around $500). Kahr's don't seem to get much love either.

B1911

Star Firestar 9mm. An excellent little gun, a little heavy (all steel), but very reliable. Now discontinued...an orphan.

That was my very first non-.22 handgun purchase, and I still have it. I've only put a couple of hundred rounds through it and for years its just been sitting there in the safe. I've actually considered selling it, but I could never quite bring myself to do it.

Falcon642

Bersa Thunder 9mm .40 and .45.

Its amazing to me that will all the attention the Thunder .380 gets, you barely hear a peep about the big brother Bersa autos. Just Google Thunder 9mm review and see how little you get.

You would think some of the insane popularity of the Thunder .380 would spill over to the bigger guns, but I sure haven't seen it.

308Gunner

Kahr's don't seem to get much love either.

Maybe because people equate low-price with 'junk'? I've heard great things about Kahrs, but perhaps the affordability of them maybe makes them seem like they're not worth investing in. I'd buy one though :) The 'since this is low price I'm not going to give it a second look' idea seems to be why most of these pistols are 'sleepers' in the first place, as well.

pelo801

a lot of these guns people have listed, i wouldn't really classify as "off brands". i mean, come on now, s&w, colt! as a true sleeper, i would say the tisas zigana pistols. i only have experience with the c45. but for around $300-350. it's a deal. i bought two. and also the zastava m88, loosely based on the tok design. really cheap 9mm.