Favorite Sleepers

predecessor

We all know the popular guns, and no doubt we own a few ourselves. But what about those off-brand sleepers? What handgun(s) do you like/own that most shoppers would quickly pass by at the counter because they've either never heard of the gun or they only buy guns pictured in fancy magazine ads? Let's keep it to guns that are more uncommon (meaning most of us could find one if we looked hard enough) than they are rare.

I'll start with one of my latest that I've been enjoying: the Daewoo DP-51 - a great pistol!

ksblazer

My favorite "sleeper gun" is the Rock Island Armory 1911's. A lot of people that aren't gun enthusiasts have ever heard of RIA. I have a full size GI model as well as a compact tactical model and have nothing but good things to say about them. While they have gone up in price a little bit over the last few years. I still consider them a great buy for the $$.

mes227

I love my Dan Wesson .460 Rowland! Uses moon clips and handles .45 acp as well.

Attachments

• DW 460 Rowland(2).jpg
    DW 460 Rowland(2).jpg
    203 KB · Views: 130

KyJim

I'm not sure either the Colt Trooper or the Colt Official Police could be called "sleepers" as the OP has used the term as they were both popular revolvers, just not made anymore.

The closest thing I own that might be a "sleeper" is a Star Modelo B Super in 9mm Luger. It looks and feels a lot like a 1911 but uses a linkless barrel locking system similar to the Hi-Power. The trigger is pretty good and it is very accurate.

Star_DSCN9491.jpg

Ideal Tool

The ones with the fuzzy bunnys on e'm! Seriously, back in the early70's you could still find nice Colt Lightnings and Thunderers for a decent price.

308Gunner

Colt Trooper, Mark III. Harder to find these days..... I got mine!
How does a Colt Trooper stack up against a Python?

I dunno how much of a 'sleeper' it is, but one of my favs I don't see often is the Para-Ordnance P14. Great double-stack 1911.

jimbob86

Colt Trooper, Mark III. Harder to find these days..... I got mine!
How does a Colt Trooper stack up against a Python?

There was a Python in the case when I bought the Trooper .... it was over $1,000 .... I got the Trooper for $325, LNIB. I had gone to the LGS to buy a Ruger GP-100 , which I had seen the previous week, priced at $350 .... The Trooper does not point as well as the Python, for me, but I think the trigger is every bit as good. Certainly better than any Smith or Ruger I have ever pulled.

Cheapshooter

Most of my C&R milsurps. CZ 52, Romanian, Polish, and Yugo variants of the TT-33. They most often get passed up because the casual visitor to a gun shop has never heard of 7.62X25. CZ82, E. German Mak. They get passed up because they aren't 9MM Luger. The same guys that pass on the Toks say 9MM what?
Not one of my C&Rs, but the FEG P9RK I just got a week ago may fit the top of the list after I get to give it a good workout at the range.

aarondhgraham

I'm with JimBob and Andy Taylor,,,

I have 2 Mark III Troopers,,,
One 4" in .357 and a 6" in .22 LR.

I lay the Trooper Mk III out at the range,,,
Everyone quickly wants to look at it.

Then they say, "Oh, it's not a Python."

Cracks me up when that happens,,,
They literally sneer at the guns a little bit,,,
Then I start breaking clay pigeons at 100 yards with the .22 LR.

Of course I'm sitting down and using a pistol rest,,,
But the gun is perfectly capable of that level of accuracy.

Colt is not an "off-brand sleeper",,,
But the Trooper is a red-headed stepchild no one respects.

I also have a J. R. Sauer & Sons clone of a cowboy Colt chambered in .357 Magnum,,,
It has absolutely the smoothest single-action I have ever owned,,,
My SASS buddies tease me and want to know,,,
"When are you getting a "real gun?"

Aarond

RetiredMajor

I agree with Cheapshooter. The Makarov PM is a real sleeper. They are inexpensive, reliable, accurate and built like tanks! I also think they're one of the best looking guns out there.

Major

Terry A

I have a S&W 4506 that is stamped as a S&W 645. It was made while they were transisioning the model. It's a solid, reliable, very accurate .45acp.

EdInk

Amin Parker said it well. The Cz-75 is a highly underrated pistol. A buddy of mine owns one and let me handle it. IMHO anyone that likes a Beretta 92 would probably love the Cz-75. BHP and Sig fans would probably like them too.

Just the fact that the slide runs inside the rails make them kind of cool to me.

Dino.

I had a Star "Mega Star" .45 years ago that was a real nice sleeper.
I wish I had never sold it. :(

The FEG hi power clones are great pistols too.

triplebike

Stoeger / Beretta Cougar. I believe they are the best value available. 1st because they are a Beretta & 2nd because your paying a clone price for the real deal. It a shame that few people / gun owners recommend this extra fine series of handguns, especially to the newbies.