• .45 Colt

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • .38 Special

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Other?

Votes: 9 4.5%

• Total voters

355sigfan

You left off the 357 sig the fastest growing caliber in LEO sales yet included the 41 mag which is just a blip on the radar screen and has all but died.
PAT

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
You left off the 357 sig the fastest growing caliber in LEO sales yet included the 41 mag which is just a blip on the radar screen and has all but died.

Hmm...

Once upon a time, .41 Mag was "the fastest growing caliber in LEO sales". So was 10mm Auto.

Time will tell.

355sigfan

Once upon a time, .41 Mag was "the fastest growing caliber in LEO sales". So was 10mm Auto.

END

Neither got the widespread use the 357 sig currently enjoys.
PAT

Jeff OTMG

I don't know if it is my favorite, but due to the weather in south Texas my most frequent carry gun is a S&W 342 with RBCD .38 Special ammo. If I can comfortably dress to hide a larger pistol, it will be a .40 with RBCD.

Nightcrawler

Complain complain complain. So I forgot .357 Sig. There's an other. Vote for other if you like .357 Sig. That's why I put the other, in case I forgot anything.

Tough crowd. I'd be helpful if there were, say, 20 instead of 10 maximum poll choices.

meat

1st - .45 ( I agree w/ ALA DAN's choice on the Federal)

2nd - 9mm (Just because it's easy to control especially for fast follow up shots and it has great assortment of personal protection rounds to choose from). I mean, now that we have ultra compact 9mm handguns, it's almost replaced the .38 special as "the" backup round (which is a great backup round as well).

Lancel

While my favorite self defense cartridge(s) is 10mm in Corbon 135 gr or 165gr, what I carry much more often is .32 ACP 60 gr Speer gold dots due to concealability.

BMWGS80

.41 Mag... Custom Cylinder & Slide md. 58 and custom takedown Marlin 1894. Good for town and country and they accessorise my truck ncely;) . 175 silvertip normal load, accurate enough and easy to find.

The .41 mag will never go away. There are enough gentlemen of taste and refinement to keep it alive. :D

It is all a matter of taste. You do not have to diss others for thier lack of class.

Cheers,

ts

juliet charley

Neither got the widespread use the 357 sig currently enjoys.
I'll admit that Sig has been much cleverer at marketing the "9mm Sig" than S&W was at marketing the 10mm or the .41 Magnum (coupled with some bad timing on both).

Probably the two things that hurt the .41 Magnum the most was that it was a N-frame in the days K-frames ruled (and at about the time we starting seeing much better .38/.357 loads in LE hands), and S&W "pushed" the "mgnum" load rather than the "police" load.

Undoubtedly, the size of weapon hurt the 10mm as well (and the FBI forced modifications to the weapons). We also we need to remember that while the 10mm Norma is almost dead in the LE market, its direct the descendant--the .40 S&W--pretty well dominates the LE/personal defence market (and I don't see anything catching up to it though the Sig has made some inroads). I just don't see (or foresee) departments dropping the .40 S&W for the Sig which would have to happen for the Sig to attain anything like "dominance" in the LE market.

Viking18

I voted for the .40S&W

I think it is a nice "in-between" choice if one can not decide on either the 9mm or .45ACP.

Based on my limited research, I prefer a 165 grain round and currently carry the Federal Tactical in my Glock 22 and 27.

Viking18

jmicmic

Best Defense Cart.

My favorite defense Cart. is Winchesters 124gr JSP 9x23. It is not on the list so the other best defense cart. I use is Triton .450 SMC.:D :cool:

pogo2

I like .40 S&W in either a Glock 23 or Sig P229, and usually use 155 grain Winchester Silvertips. They are reasonably priced, widely available, and have 500 ft-lbs of muzzle energy, which seems like a good round number. The M&S one shot stops on this are about 91%.

7th Fleet

I like .45acp but if that's not available then .40 S&W which is becoming more and more popular in Law Enforcement and will soon eclipse the 9mm in popularity, if it already hasn't...

7th